Author Topic: Psychic Genealogy  (Read 45541 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Genealogy
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 22 October 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
I think there may have been a co-relation between weddings in the spring and births in the first quarter. My statistics are based on some research I did over 20 years ago to determine the effect of retiring railway staff taking their annual leave in their year of retirement at a time of their choosing rather than immediately before their retirement date, which was causing a staff shortage in late March and April. Agreeing to this did lessen the effects; many of the staff concerned then took their terminal leave immediately after the new year, when there was less traffic around. Result less cancelled trains and for once I got my head patted, instead of my backside kicked as was the norm. Always had a problem keeping my mouth shut!

Love this - a colleague of mine each year had to calculate the cost of maternity leave in the following year to the company!
He had to analyse based on age, status, no. of children, etc. which was not necessarily accurate or scientific!
From 2016 in Ireland there will be paternity leave - may need some psychic guidance for that!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 22 October 15 10:14 BST (UK) »

Love this - a colleague of mine each year had to calculate the cost of maternity leave in the following year to the company!
He had to analyse based on age, status, no. of children, etc. which was not necessarily accurate or scientific! 

The question has to be, what was his accuracy level of predictions  ::)
Did he have a crystal ball, or perhaps use tarot cards?  :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 22 October 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
In a way that would not be acceptable today he used to ask one morning - "well ladies, anyone intending to reproduce next year?"!

He was actually quite good at predicting based on excluding those too young or too old, those with more than three children already, factoring in gossip and hearsay.......   ;)
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 22 October 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
?? And looking at an average of the previous X years ??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ilulkea and Rena,

Read your posts with great interest and pleased you both got something positive from your "encounter."

I have been involved with Spiritualism for nearly 30 years and I would stress that no true medium can guarantee to bring through a particular person. Spirit people, like us, have freedom of choice and can choose to come through or not at a particular time.  Also its not an exact science and is always an experiment.

Please do not waste your money on an expensive private reading but get the name of a reputable medium from your local Spiritualist Church.

Many won't agree with my religion but its a personal thing and we all have to make up our own minds.

As to mediums being able to help directly with genealogy - I have my doubts. As for me I will continue to do my research in the usual way - brick walls and all.

Dorrie

I quite agree about wasting money. My father thought they were all charlatans from his experience of having to accompany his mother to gatherings after his father died when he was 16 in the 1920s.  It was his belief that the spiritualists had helpers who listened to conversations in the queue and would pass on the details thus there were the "clues" that anyone in the audience could relate to.

Then there was my own experience at the local fair when a group of us teenagers sat in a caravan and had our palms read, coincidentally all had the same future foretold of each meeting a rich and handsome beau and living happily ever after.   Roll forward four decades and I was invited to a wine and cake evening where there'd be a tarot card reading. The reading given by a young woman who who was taking her first step towards making a living reading the cards and the guests were all her friends.  As the evening progressed it seemed obvious to me that all the young women had heard more or less the same thing in that they were "not happy" with their lot and life would continue to be dissatisfying.  I was the last to have a reading - I thought I was probably having the same message given to me that the other guests had been given but as I wasn't her idea of a disillusioned middle aged woman with a stale marriage, I stopped the reading and told her the reality. At that point she gathered up her cards, acknowledged she'd made an error and even returned my money  ;D
+-+-+

I suppose it is a bit difficult to get your head around the fact that I used a medium/clairvoyant/psychic as a tool to aid/confirm my research, especially after reading the above when it should be obvious I wasn't a believer and echoed my mother's words of,"When you're dead, you're dead, full stop".  I think I've described on another thread how I came into contact with this person and it was another two years before I retired and eventually took up genealogy to find;  "His pals called him Harry but he preferred his real name Henry .....died in the war" and it was many moons afterwards that I made my second visit with the intention of having more family clues to aid my new hobby.

As intimated I'd already asked if she could help with my research.  Admittedly you have to be good at puzzles to work out the clues and here's an idea of what transpired:-

*"You will get help from Bury"....
not long afterward I surfed onto this site:- RootsChat.com, Europa House, Bury.

* They're all singing "The Lights of Old Aberdeen".
I could see there was an old song "The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen" but neither the author or the singers had a familiar surname.
I knew from my brother-in-law that he had a tinsmith somewhere in his father's ancestry but didn't know any further details.  I'd become  member of "English & Scots Origins" and subsequently found his father's family up in Newcastle in 1881 with a wife from Aberdeen, Scotland.   The marriage cert showed her surname and her birth showed she belonged to the Shirras tinsmith family of Old Machar, Aberdeen, that manufactured Lamps (lights) for collieries, etc.

Of course, I always add new surnames of interest to my rootschat profile and that's how a Findlay=-Shirras descendant eventually found me.  Co-incidentally she made contact on RC when I was puzzling over a new list of clues and names given me by the clairvoyant.  The place names were outside of the counties where any of my lines resided and the given and surnames weren't the usual "John" and "William" lol.  I soon received a private email and from the county she purported to live in I guessed that some of the clues I'd been given could possibly belong to her and if they did this would strengthen/confirm a family attachment.  I remember responding telling her I had a far fetched theory and did any of these "clues" belong to her.  She replied the same day, Yes "Mary" had been her mother, yes "Harvey" was a family surname, "Yes", the family lived in the manor house in the northern town stated and Yes, "Bristol" was relevant as back in time the family had made "Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
A note about dates - I have recently been transcribing gravestones for Billiongraves.com.  I have noticed many times - sometimes many times in one day - that a lot of people die on or very close to their birthdays.  I transcribed one gravestone where the husband and wife shared the same birth date and the husband died on that same date.  They had also married on the same date. 

This sort of thing happens to often to be a coincidence.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
This report by
DAVID P. PHILLIPS, PHD; CAMILLA A. VAN VOORHEES, MD; & TODD E. RUTH
for Psychosomaticmedicine.org

This study of deaths from natural causes examined adult mortality around the birthday for two samples, totalling 2,745,149 people.

Women are more likely to die in the week following their birthdays than in any other week of the year. In addition, the frequency of female deaths dips below normal just before the birthday.

The results do not seem to be due to seasonal fluctuations, misreporting on the death certificate, deferment of life-threatening surgery, or behavioural changes associated with the birthday.

At present, the best available explanation of these findings is that females are able to prolong life briefly until they have reached a positive, symbolically meaningful occasion. Thus, the birthday seems to function as a 'lifeline' for some females.

In contrast, male mortality peaks shortly before the birthday, suggesting that the birthday functions as a 'deadline' for males.
Further generations:

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Myluck!

That also explains why men's death dates are usually just before Christmas and women's are usually just after but, again, there are a lot of deaths during the Christmas season.

Very interesting!

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 22 October 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I really can't imagine any of my long-gone rellies, including the ones interested in spiritualism / feeling they themselves were mediums, are really waiting to send me messages, if only I will go and shell out money to a medium! They, if anyone, should be able to get through on their own power .... if there was anything in it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)