Author Topic: Psychic Genealogy  (Read 45540 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Genealogy
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 22 October 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I really can't imagine any of my long-gone rellies, including the ones interested in spiritualism / feeling they themselves were mediums, are really waiting to send me messages, if only I will go and shell out money to a medium! They, if anyone, should be able to get through on their own power .... if there was anything in it.

I know what you mean, I haven't needed to visit a medium for several years because I just get these feelings when I see the right records.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline cassie18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, well I got hooked on this thread because I have a little story as well. Many years ago I'd been working on a great uncle who my father said had been "stabbed by a native". I have a photo of his overseas grave. I can't remember who told me but I was told to write to a lady, not give any information as such but just a general chat. She sent me a reply in which she said quite a few things which were correct but she couldn't have known. Then she said that a gentleman had drawn close and said "I wasn't killed, it merely happened." I knew straight away who she meant but I had no proof. Years later I found his son and I told him what my father said. He told me that was wrong and said his father dies of natural causes.
Meace, Samworth, Till, Glew, Barnes.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 18 January 16 14:20 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting thread  :D
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting thread  :D

When I received the email notification that there was a response to the thread - I read the thread again and agree that it really is interesting.

I contributed to #112 and when I read it, I realised that I'd missed the relevance of the word "Pals", which I took to mean "Mates/chums", and had thus missed a clue about the place and era. 

"His Pals called him Harry but he preferred his real name Henry .....died in the war"

Did any reader spot the clue?

Okay so Henry had been killed in a war but then, as I was a newbie to genealogy, I had no idea as to which generation he belonged and what war (Crimean, Napoleonic, Boer War, WWI, WWII).

At the time it was a daunting task trying to choose which Henry was "mine" out of a list of umpteen Henry's with his surname, when in actual fact if I'd known every town in WWI had a PALS battalion then I only had to choose from a list of three Henrys. 

The Pals battalions of World War I were specially constituted battalions of the British Army comprising men who had enlisted together in local recruiting drives, with the promise that they would be able to serve alongside their friends, neighbours and colleagues
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rachatfalcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 03 March 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Reading this thread has made me smile!

Where would I start if I wanted to ask for help? I have a specific problem that I am unable to solve (don't we all lol...) and that is of my pesky ancestors (they really were pesky, I'm not exaggerating!) evading my search!

On 2nd January 1861, my GG Grandad was born Alfred Cresswell SELWYN, in Hawley/Blackwater, Hampshire. His parents were Alfred John SELWYN and Emily SELWYN nee RAWLINS.

3 months later in April, they are nowhere on the 1861 census.

The following year, 20th September 1862, his sister was born Isabella Mary SELWYN, in Hoxton Middlesex (address 4 Haberdashers Place) to parents Alfred SELWYN and Emily SELWYN nee RAWLINGS.

The address from Isabella's birth was occupied by another family in the 1861 census so they must have arrived there between the census in April 1861 and September 1862.

I just want to know what happened, where were they and what made them move. They had 2 children between January 1861 and September 1862, and moved a considerable distance.

What sort of Psychic Genealogy options might there be for me to explore?

Thank you,
Regards
Rachel
Jones, Forest of Dean
Jones, North Wales
Roberts, North Wales
Davis, Bucks
Selwyn, South East
Cresswell, London
King, Donhead St Andrew, Wilts
Barratt, Semley, Wilts
Rawlins, Southampton and Portsmouth
Clark, Fareham
Mead, Croydon and Military/Army
Mansell, Forest of Dean
Coopey, Forest of Dean
Cook/e, Forest of Dean

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 04 March 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm worried that a medium (or someone who claims to be psychic) would tell me what he or she thinks I want to hear, rather than what I really want to know.

However, I keep hoping I can turn round and find a ghostly ancestor sitting on the sofa, who will tell me the true story.  After all, we can find out quite a lot from birth registrations, baptismal records, censuses, and so on, but are they always the true biological relationships?  There have been extra-marital affairs throughout the ages.  It would certainly be very useful to be able to talk to the dead.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Monday 04 March 24 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm worried that a medium (or someone who claims to be psychic) would tell me what he or she thinks I want to hear, rather than what I really want to know.

However, I keep hoping I can turn round and find a ghostly ancestor sitting on the sofa, who will tell me the true story.  After all, we can find out quite a lot from birth registrations, baptismal records, censuses, and so on, but are they always the true biological relationships?  There have been extra-marital affairs throughout the ages.  It would certainly be very useful to be able to talk to the dead.

I now feel though, that genealogy/family history is much much more than just genetics. It is also who raised whom. A "not parent expected" in a DNA result does not alter the fact that man or woman is still part of your family history and did all the hard work in raising your ancestor, and sharing the same surname.

For instance if a James Bloggs and Ellen Smith had a relationship in a small Suffolk village, and he got her pregnant in January 1864, then took fright at upcoming fatherhood and emigrated to Australia. A local man, Joe Soap, who knew Ellen then stepped in and married Ellen while she was about 6 months pregnant, in July 1864, and the baby was born in October 1864, and was registered as the son/daughter of the new husband Joe Soap, and took his name and was then raised by Joe, then Joe Soap was the father in every way but biology.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Monday 04 March 24 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I certainly did not believe in mediums/clairvoyants when my daughter arranged for us to visit one.  I took a tape recorder to make sure that I didn't feed her any information, which would be indicated on the recording.

My daughter received a recommendation about the medium that we visited and that's what I would stipulate.  Either get a recommendation from a friend or go along with a tape recorder to make sure you don't give out information that can be used.

The person we went to belonged to the then local Spiritualist church.  Anyone can attend the church and apparently messages are received during the meetings.

I was very fortunate with that medium but she eventually stopped doing readings,  When I first visited I was instructed not to say a word, so I didn't react when I recognised her mentioning Manchester United (Just 3 weeks before he died my late OH and I had watched MU in the local watering hole & we'd laughed when I kept mentioning I wouldn't put X onto the field - X scored a hat trick) and again I didn't react when she mentioned a "Pilot Case" (I'd given one to my late OH as a present one year.)  That lady gave names and a clue to the name, except there was no name when she said "Apple blossom".  My late mother was always singing "I'll be seeing you in Apple Blossom time".    Daughter and I then visited a nearby town to see a woman who shuffled playing cards and read them.  I didn't get much genealogy  information that I didn't already know from her.  For instance.  she told me that she was receiving the information about a land belonging to Old Monks.  In olden days monks did own large tracts of land but my ancestors did actually live in "Old Monkland".  During her readings I looked down and saw I had doodled a wheel on a tripod, which I laughingly remarked on to the card reader.  Your ancestor worked on the steam engines in a coal mine was her response. Correct:   My ancestors worked for the Clyde Ironworks, which was next to a coal field.  Unfortunately I wasn't given parents names which I still need to know and confirm. 

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Monday 04 March 24 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Whatever coombs may say, I maintain that genealogy is about genes.
We can record adoptive parents (and adopted children) if we want,
but we should make it clear that that's what they are,
even if it was a secret at the time.  But how do we know?: that's the problem.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds