Author Topic: Rev John MEADOWS of Ousden & London d.1697  (Read 8397 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev John MEADOWS of Ousden & London d.1697
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out more about the wives and children of Rev. John Meadows 1622-1697.

He was minister in Ousden Suffolk, until he was expelled from his ministry in 16??. Apparently he then moved to London where he studied Physic and died in 1697.

I have found a family tree online that lists him as having 3 wives (Anne Rant, Sarah Fairfax and Anna Beaumont) and I have found an extract of Anna Meadows nee Beaumont's will in 1707 that seems to support this.

Can anyone tell me where I might find a copy of John Meadows will, which I am hoping might give better clarification of which wife the children belonged to, and what became of them??

Any other pointers to where I might find out more information on the life and family of Rev John Meadows would be much appreciated too!

Kylie B

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John Meadows of Ousden and London d.1697
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie,
You may find the info on this site of interest
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Dictionary_of_National...37.../205

I have a passing interest in Sarah Fairfax, the second wife of John Meadows and the mother of John Meadows Jnr, (1676 -1757)
Sarah was the daughter of Benjamin Fairfax (Jnr) & niece of Rev John Fairfax who was the first minister at what is now the Ipswich Unitarian Meeting House . Her grandfather Rev Benjamin Fairfax (1592-1676) was an ancester of  the husband of one of my 'once removed' cousins! I understand Kate Middleton also has the same ancestor!!!
As John Meadows (Snr) 3rd wife was a Beaumont I wonder if she was related to the Beaumonts at Woodbridge
The Fairfaxs & Meadows were all Bartholomeans.
Sorry if I'm being a bit confusing.
Hephzibah

PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Mike Fenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie
I have just completed three months research on the Meadows family. I have the full family tree, photos of memorials in Witnesham Church etc and on loan a copy of the Suffolk Bartholomews (a history of the Rev John Meadows by Edgar Taylor) which has the Meadows and Fairfax family trees. There is plenty on the Internet on the Meadows/Pierrepont/Manvers families. Probably best if we make e-mail contact?
Mike
Fenn - Suffolk

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 10 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hephzibah
I could find the page you mentioned- what am I searching for on Wikisource?

Can you tell me more- or where to find out more- about the Bartholomeans please?? I am reading a 'Domestic and Religious history of John Meadows' I found on the internet a couple of nights ago, and it uses this term also..but I must admit I dont know its meaning...

Anne/a Beaumont- 3rd wife of John Meadows lists her father as Mr John Beaumont in her will, and also makes mention of sisters with the names Elliston, Luffkin and Blomfield, and brothers John, Michael, Jonathon and William, and another- John Sparrow. It makes no mention of their locality...but it is only an extract, not the will in full. 

It also lists her daughters as Mary Meadows, Sarah Wright and Rebecca Meadows- 'as mentioned in my husbands will'. THis one has me confused, as I thought the daughter Sarah married David Martineau....so where does the Wright name come in??  And do you know if John Meadows had any children with his first and third wives- or were all the children of Sarah Fairfax?

Thanks!! Dont worry about confusing me- I am already pretty confused with this lot of woods and meadows!
Kylie B

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie,
Sorry about the Wiki source: I tried to find it again & failed miserably. However, by now you have prob. had contact with Mike and have been able to get a tree...or two (a start to a Wood!!)
The Dictionary of National Biography (DNB) has a very detailed entry for John Meadows b.1622; son of Daniel Meadowe & Elizabeth Smith, his younger brother was Sir Philip Meadows.
The only children he had were 7 from his marriage to Sarah Fairfax (4 sons, 3 daughters) One of his sons, Philip, was mayor of Norwich,  - Mike's tree will tell you whether this was father of a Sam.
I'm reluctant to give website details again so would suggest that you google 'Act of Uniformity 1662 + Wiki' for info. re Bartholomeans. Very  basically, as a way of getting puritan preachers out of the Church of England, the Act of Uniformity required all clergy to conform to everything in the Book of Common Prayer; those that refused were ejected from their living (churches)
on 24 Aug 1662, St Bartholomew's Day....hence Bartholomeans & hence non-conformists! . It was only after the Act of Toleration in 1669 that non-conformists/dissenters were allowed to build their own places of worship.
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 10 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hephzibah!
Will do some Google searches and see how I go
Kylie B

Offline geelsu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John MEADOWS of Ousden & London d.1697
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Mike Fenn.  Are you still around.  I would be interested in your three months of research.

Offline geelsu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hephzibah.  I am confused on your dates.  You have Sarah Fairfax (1612- 1678) and then say her Grandfather was Benjamin (senior) and his dates are 1592 - 1676.  How can her Grandfather be only 20 years older than her?  Those dates would work better for her Father than her Grandfather.  Any ideas on that or do you have other support?

Offline geelsu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 14:19 GMT (UK) »