Author Topic: Veitch & Bryce - possible Peeblesshire connection  (Read 13027 times)

Offline jbryce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Veitch & Bryce - possible Peeblesshire connection
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Earliest records of my Bryce family come from Penicuik where James Bryce first appears in the OPR (film) having children - John 1775, James and Adam (twins) in 1780.  James was married to Janet Veitch.  No marriage record.  Couple were living at Eight Mile Burn, Penicuik,  when the children were born.  A Janet Veitch was born to John Veitch and Margaret Muirhead in 1742, living Coltoun - which is near Newhall or - only a mile or so away from Eight Mile Burn - and in the other direction, very close to West Linton.  As these places were fairly remote in the 1700s, I feel this must be the same Janet as married James Bryce.  There were many James Bryces born around this area in the middle 1700s but none in Penicuik.  I can't identify my 4x great grandfather from those James's born in neighbouring parishes or counties.  Veitch was a well known name in Peebles, altho Janet's family were in the Coltoun, Penicuik, area for a number of generations before she was born , I wondered if there was a possibility my Bryces were in Peebles at some stage before 1800s.  The fact that there isn't a marriage recorded on the IGI or Scotlandspeople - no family histories with this couple - I really am grasping at straws. 

Does anyone know if there were OPR records that aren't on Scotlandspeople or the IGI for Peeblesshire prior to 1800? 

I did find a record on Scotlandspeople of a Margaret Bryce who died in Peebles 1633 but the record was unreadable. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  Julie
Allan, Renfrew                 Bryce, Midlothian/Renfrew  
Blair, Ayr/Renfrew            Burns, Dunbarton/Renfrew
Clapperton, Roxburgh      Douglas, Midlothian
Erskine, East/MidLothian  Prentice, Perth/Lanark
Scot, Peebles                 Spowart, Stirling/Ayr/Renfrew
Veitch, Midlothian

Offline jbryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Veitch & Bryce - possible Peeblesshire connection
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add that the twin sons of James Bryce b c 1742 both married girls from Peeblesshire - James married Margaret Scot from Drumelzier and Adam married Mary Thomson from Stobo.

I live in Perth, Western Australia.  Wish I could go over there and check things out for myself!
Veitch, Midlothian

Offline Janeesca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
I have a Scot family in my family tree from Peebles; James Scot and his wife, Marion Mathieson. They  had a son, also called James, (siblings not known)
James Scot married Christian Chambers in 1766 at Manor by Peebles. The children of James and Christian were as follows:- (Please note that an extra 't' was added to the surname once they had moved to 'Temple' Midlothian)

Marion Scot
b.  27 Jun 1767
Well-Bush, Manor, Peebleshire

James Scot, jnr
b.  26 Feb 1769
Hundilshope, by Manor,Peebleshire

Helen Scott
b.  Mar 1773
Temple, Midlothian, Scotland.

William Scott
b.  Nov 1776
d.  Apr 1789
Eddlestone, Peebles

Andrew Scott.............my 3 X G.Grandfather
b.  01 Sep 1778
m. Ann Ainslie

Margaret Scott
b.  10 Apr 1781
Temple, Peebles, Scotland

Robert Scott
b.  Jun 1782
Gladhouse, by Eddlestone, Scotland

I have more information on this family if you are interested,
Regards,
Jane Joy.
Peebles.

Offline jbryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply Janeesca.  I have just found your message after having been away for some time.  Sounds to be some similarities between your Scots and mine.  It will take me a little time to find my notes and I will then get back to you.  JB
Veitch, Midlothian

Offline jbryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
We were in touch in 2010 through this website and privately.  I haven't found any further information on this family. It is possible that your James who married Janet Matheson was the brother of my John who married Janet Johnston in 1746 Eddleston.  Their children and grandchildren were all born in Peeblesshire around Eddleston and Drumelzier.  There are other connections to Temple.  However Scot was a very common name.  Perhaps we do have a connection but it is hard to confirm with the lack of records in the early to mid 1700s.  Thanks again for your contact.  Julie
Veitch, Midlothian

Offline dabinhand

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there were OPR records that aren't on Scotlandspeople or the IGI for Peeblesshire prior to 1800?

there are LOTS of OPR records that are misnamed or totally missing on scotlandspeoples search results, there are also gaps in some OPRs for several years at a time, some people just weren't registered, or sometimes registered up to 10 years after the birth. Even in the 1840s illigitimate births were sometimes not registered, but may appear in other church records.

As these places were fairly remote in the 1700s

Its still surprising to me how far people managed to travel back then. The local minister at Traquair would travel on a regular basis to Dalkeith and Edinburgh in the 1720s to suitor women after his wife died - which wouldn't have helped his debt problem, people would go 20 miles on a round trip to attend church each Sunday. Different times.

I did find a record on Scotlandspeople of a Margaret Bryce who died in Peebles 1633 but the record was unreadable. 

if you can scan and post in on here I'm sure some knowledgeable person could try.

The Veitch name is also found in places such as Traquair in Peeblesshire.

Offline Janeesca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply regarding the Scot family in Peebles. Just as a matter of interest, Andrew Scott, my 3 x G.Grandfather, son of James & Christian Scot, had a daughter called Ann, who married a Thomas Currie from Lasswade. In 1844 Ann gave birth to twin girls, see attachment, twins do run in families, this maybe a just a coincidence but I thought it was worth mentioning. Ann was travelling with her one year old daughter, Annie Ainslie Currie.
Here are a couple of websites which might be of help to you.

http://www.origins.net/sowelcome.aspx
http://www.rampantscotland.com/genealogy.htm

Jane

Offline Janeesca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
I remembered seeing messages from two people, one who mentioned the name Veitch, the other spoke of a Margaret Scot and the name Adam. I had a search and found two replies which were on Ancestry.com one in 2000 and the other in 2003, they were in answer to  queries I had regarding the name Currie/Wilson, it maybe just another coincidence but worth mentioning. The name Veitch is in the last message.  Liberton & Inveresk are only about a half an hour drive from Peebles.
Hope this helps.
Jane

WILSON/SCOT
Marilyn (View posts)
Posted:   13 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILSON, SCOT
Hi Jane:
Don't know if this might fit in with your family or not, the dates are a bit off, but same area and names: My Agnes Wilson b. 3-5-1798 Inveresk w/Musselburgh parents Andrew Wilson and Scott Adam m. 9-14-1782 Newton; Andrew b. 4-25-1762 Newton to William Wilson and Agnes Moffat also had a sister Marion b. 5-1-1774 Newton.

My Scot Adam b. 11-2-1759 Newton to David Adam and Margaret Scott. They m. 8-9-1751 Newton Margaret Scot b. 2-13-1732 Newton to Thomas Scot and Hellen Adam, they m. 11-13-1730 Newton.

Might be something in there. Also have list of other brothers/sisters of Andrew besides Marion.
 ~~~~~~~~------------------------------------
Re: Currie/Wilson, Liberton. Midlothian c. 1774+
janet (View posts)
Posted:   15 Apr 2003 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
HI Jane,
I have just started researching this family and have not yet got definite prove but am nearly hundred percent sure, Helen Curry married John Marr in Liberton, i beleive she is the daughter of Thomas Curry and Mary Wilson, the connection when I find out where it fits in is the surname Veitch, any help?

Offline jbryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 October 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Jane, your information is very interesting.  I will look at it further tomorrow as it is late here.  I have been trying to link our Scots families.  Quite a number in Eddlestone but hard to link them positively - and also in Drumelzier and Stobo.  I believe it is possible we are related but can't prove.  Julie
Veitch, Midlothian