Author Topic: Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker. - Completed!!  (Read 5299 times)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Ashdown listed as working in Stratford 1839-51
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 January 10 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow, so much information - where do I start!!!

I have had a reply from the Clockmakers Company. They have kindley given my some information about Thomas. They have told me that there is a Thomas who was at 119 Oxford Street in 1826, 85 Oxford Street between 1829-1831, 387 1/2 in 1835, no number Oxford Street from 1840, and then at 129 Oxford Street in 1847. They have sugested that after this date, he may of either stoped trading, entered into a partnership, or moved out of London - I think one of the postes above answers this question!

So, it looks as if there could have been 8 children between Thomas & Elizabeth. I will have to get down to the Westminster Archives later in the year and trace that one up. If you were living in Marylebone would you take your children to be christend in Westminster? (Sorry if that is a stupid question - I have only ever ventured into the capital on a couple of occasions, and do not know the layout that well)

I see that the 1851 census has Thomas living in Winchester! Thank you so much for finding that, and the death as well (an aplication for that will be quickley placed with the GRO's website as soon as I finish writing this reply!!). So me must have moved down to Winchester, and then his family followed. It also looks as if he may not be working for himself anymore - I think a 'Journeyman' was somebody who travelled for work - please correct me if I am wrong!

With Charles Ashown - I persume it is Stratford in London. Coming form the Midlands, when I first saw the post, I automatically thought of Straford-upon-Avon! I will certainly look that one up, and see if I can find out who his wife was, and if it matches with the names provided from the IGI.

Thank all so much for your great help,
Tippin

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Good results!
The 'journey' in journeyman refers to a day, as in French.
So effectively it means you are working for someone else, maybe on a casual basis.
After you finished your apprenticeship you would be a journeyman, and finally a 'master'.
HTH
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 January 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Charles Ashdown was consistently in Essex (Stratford West Ham which became part of London in the 1960s) from the 1841 census onwards where his wife Louisa Ann was born circa 1813. Their first child was born circa 1838/1839 in Stratford, but it looks like they probably married before civil registration. On the 1861 census all 8 of their children were born in West Ham. Louisa Ann's last child appears to have been Rosalind Julia who was born in 1855 when Louisa Ann was about 42. Her daughter Louisa Charlotte was born in 1850. They had 4 sons. Three sons appear on the 1861 census with the family unmarried. The 4th son Edward was born in 1840.

There seems no obvious connection with this family.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 January 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you know, I recieved the death certificate for the Thomas Simpson who died in Winchester - and it's my Thomas!! He was 58 (so, born abt 1798), and was a Watch Maker!

Thanks to every one who helped me track down Thomas!

Tippin

Offline Lasse Larsen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Simpson - Watch Maker. - Completed!!
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tippin,

My mom bought a grandfather clock in 1969 from what I assume would be the same Thomas Simpson you are looking for. She bought it in Newcastle upon Tyne she said. She would love to find out more about Thomas and the history behind the clocks he made. Have you managed to find more information about him? It would be awesome to hear more and I’m sure she’d be more than happy to send you a picture of the clock she has. She’s been looking for him for a while and I just happened upon your post right now as she asked if I could help her find some info.

Offline peterman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandfather was Thomas Simpson, DofB 1808 Market Bosworth Leicestershire. Married to Elizabeth Lancaster in 1840 in Lichfield Staffordshire. He was a watch and clockmaker as was his brother Joseph. He was also an author regarding clocks and also a newspaper reporter He died in March 1895 in Lichfield his wife Elizabeth died in 1866. If this is the same person I would be delighted to hear from you. However, they had a daughter Elizabeth who died in infancy ( I will have to check)

Offline peterman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Osbaston Simpson (Full name) moved from London to Lichfield to get married and join his watchmaker brother Joseph. A couple of years ago a bracket  clock was auctioned, it was wrongly attributed to Joseph Simpson. I bid for it but it was knocked down at £8,900 plus buyers commission, to expensive. Thomas was the journeyman for Joseph. Thomas invented a waterproof pocket watch  which was displayed in a jar of water on the counter of Josephs shop. My Grandfather as a small boy saw the watch on many occasions. I am still trying to locate a copy of his book about clock numbering.