Author Topic: Help with uniform  (Read 2887 times)

Offline kathyhpink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help with uniform
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm new on here, having been recommended to me by someone on the Family Tree Forum.

I'm hoping that someone can help with information about this uniform please.  I believe it to be a hussar uniform, but can't seem to find the regiment (or date) after quite a bit of research.

Here it is:

Skiplorne / Masters

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Help with uniform
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Glad you made it  :)
I am sure someone will be a long soon to help you

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again I have also posted this on the Armed forces board for you as its where the experts hang out  :D
Irene

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=430124.new
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
It looks to be a Hussars uniform. My guess to the date is the 1880s. I checked the census for the photographer and he was at a different address in 1881. He is at that address in 1891, and he died the same quarter. His children are too young to have taken over, so I think that confirms 1880s. He is Richard R Willson btw.

You identify the regiment by a combination of the facings (collars and cuffs), plus the braid work. All tunics were either scarlet or blue. So far I have only eliminated the 4th and 13th Hussars as they had light facings. It's a pity he is not holding his helmet as the colour of the 'busby bag' and the plume also helps. I cannot find the information I have on the braid work. And I am sure I have seen Newington as having a barracks somewhere.

Do you have a name? and have you found him in a census while a soldier? as we can tell the regiment from the officers.

Ken

Online MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater

Offline kathyhpink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone!

Ken, his name is James William Skiplorne, born 1876 in Walworth, London and died 1939 in Camberwell, London.  I can find the pattern work on other uniforms, but not the cross-over plait braiding - so far.

Niksmum, thanks so much for posting it on the Armed Forces Board.

Kathy
x
Skiplorne / Masters

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

I am surprised by the DoB. Not because of my dating, but because of the photographer dying in 1891. I suppose it is possible that the shop was taken over by another photographer, But why did he carry on using Willson’s stock of cardboard mounts? It might be worth looking for a directory listing from the 1890s. Maybe he kept the name of the business the same. The DoB pushes the date to mid 1890s. As he was born nearby the barracks could be anywhere.

He is not listed in the Boer War medal roll for the cavalry. But all regiments did not take part. He would have enlisted for 12 years. If he was under the age of 18, the 12 years started at 18. So I would expect his papers to be in the section for men discharged 1900 to 1913 in Kew. Findmypast are putting these online ‘by 2011’. They are in alphabetical order, so you do not need to know his regiment.

Is he the father of James William Alfred Skiplorne baptised in 1895? It says he was a cooper. Maybe he was discharged after a few years. In which case his papers will be in the 1883 to 1900 section in Kew. If they survive. The son was in the Machine Gun Corps in WW1.

Did you put the photographs on Ancestry?

Ken

Offline kathyhpink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Yes, he is the father of JWA Skiplorne and the photos are on Ancestry.  I had seen the Army record of JWA.  Do you know the youngest age men could enlist?  It will be very interesting, not for me obviously but for everyone, to see the Kew online papers on Findmypast.

I tried looking for barracks in Newington, but nothing came up.

Many thanks for all your help

Kathy
Skiplorne / Masters