Author Topic: Surnames connected to others  (Read 24142 times)

Offline ELLMAY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames connected to others
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Dave
sometime ago you were very helpful in my research of my Mc Coy ancesters of Monaghan
you asked if my great grandad William had emigrated to england alone which I believed he had.However I have found that Robert was living with William in Newcastle England in 1871 aged 18 years  [ he died in 1873 and is buried in Killygavna ] .I hope this info may be of some use to you .
I was unable to trace Gt Gt Gd Robert past 1838 but still appreciat all the haelp ypou gave me

Regards    Bryan Mc Coy  [ Ellmay ]

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan

Good to know you've made a little progress, I'll note the new bit of info just in case.

Have you looked at 1901 Irish census? A couple of them Born in England are in Monaghan... http://www.rootschat.com/links/0brt/

1911 only one http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bru/ born in Durham.

These are only for ones in Co.Monaghan, you might get a lead from them.

Good fishing!

Dave
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I see you have McBride listed there. Don't suppose these two fit do they?

I have a Henry McBride born in Ballybay about 1831 (approx give or take a couple of years).  Father was James McBride - occupation shoemaker.  Don't know any more about James.  I think they were protestants.

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 February 11 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I have a Henry McBride born in Ballybay about 1831 (approx give or take a couple of years).  Father was James McBride - occupation shoemaker.  Don't know any more about James.  I think they were protestants.

Milly ;D

There are McBrides in Ballybay 2nd Presbyterian.  They could even be a different family. Baptisms start 1833, Marriages 1845 and are in PRONI. Might be a possible starting point for you.

There are a few McBrides marrying into the various families on my tree but I haven't worked on McBrides to see how/if they are related to each other but don't think they are from Ballybay area. All I can do is keep you in mind if I come across anything.

Have you checked PRONI website for Wills?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 February 11 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Milly ;D

There are McBrides in Ballybay 2nd Presbyterian.  They could even be a different family. Baptisms start 1833, Marriages 1845 and are in PRONI. Might be a possible starting point for you.

There are a few McBrides marrying into the various families on my tree but I haven't worked on McBrides to see how/if they are related to each other but don't think they are from Ballybay area. All I can do is keep you in mind if I come across anything.

Have you checked PRONI website for Wills?

Hello

I have seen references for quite a few Mcbrides in Monaghan and Ballybay in particular but have not found my James the shoemaker anywhere yet.

I think I may have looked through some microfilm for Presbyterian (or non-conformist or something like that) at the LDS centre but couldn't find anything.  I think 1833 is a bit late for Henry's birth anyway. And I know he married in England so he came over qhen he was quite young.

I had a quick look at wills at the Proni site but nothing stands out for James as yet. I am not very familiar with Irish sources so have not really got too far with my McBrides.

Just thought I would ask if there was a link - you never know. 

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 February 11 02:13 GMT (UK) »
No, there's no harm in asking, as you say you just never know!

One thing to consider is that 1833 could be when he was baptised, church kept baptism records so he COULD have got the date from that... just a thought.

I've to do research for someone in that area and in Cavan but won't be for a few weeks all I can do is keep an eye open for him. I haven't worked the McBride surname to see how/if they are related to each other so I can note any I come across, it's a very peripheral name on my tree and I haven't even looked on LDS for them.

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 June 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
I see you have Swan and Henderson in your connected families.My greatgrandfather was Philip Henderson who came from  Aghaloo Co Tyrone.I have traced a much older Philip Henderson to Derrycourtney Aghaloo.It is near Caledon and also just a few miles from Glaslough Co Monaghan where there seems to be a Henderson family.A  J Henderson Of Glaslough was buried by the Church Of Ireland Caledon 2/3/1845 aged 75. An Anne Henderson of Derrycourtney married Thomas Swan of Curlagh Co Tyrone ,which is also near Glaslough 1/12/1820.They had children as follows; Margaret 7/12/1823,Anne 14/1/1827.William Henderson 13/2/1831 and Thomas Hearse12/5/1833.I have never been able to trace my Philip Henderson back to this family.I expect these names are common in the area but I live in hope that I will find a connection.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 June 11 04:02 BST (UK) »
Just off hand..an Oliver Henderson of Lisburn married Catherine Clark b.1841, d.1881 she is buried in Caledon C of I. I haven't looked at the Hendersons very much but they were quite well off judging by the g/stone which unfortunately has fallen over and broken.

I will need to study the tree again as I haven't worked on Tommy Swan lately, will PM you soon as I don't like putting too much information on line to be "harvested" by others....

Offline ebt47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 November 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Just for information and I have no idea if there any connections, I have a Thomas Wright baptised 1 April 1836 at Ematris, to parents Thomas Wright and Emily nee Wadsworth.  Thomas Wright senior died before his son was baptised. He and Emily married 25 Feb 1835, again at Ematris.  I do not know what happened to the child.