Author Topic: "Wataloo" Blyth  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Wataloo" Blyth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:23 GMT (UK) »
A postcard expert should be able to tell you what that symbol means in the bottom right corner of the image.

As for being away from Middleton Terrace, seemingly a Zepplin got a bit lost and ended up over Blyth on the 2 April 1916. It was part of a night flight that was supposed to be going to Edinburgh, but they seemingly lost their way. Before turning back the Zepplin dumped its load of bombs in fields near Blyth. How near I do not know, but I think I'd have legged it pretty quick  :o

Bit of info here, Blyth is mentioned well down;

http://news.scotsman.com/worldwarone/Night-Zeppelins-brought-first-dose.3343300.jp

I have also seen a postcard of a Zeppelin over Blyth dated 14 April 1915, though I have heard it argued that the image was 'doctored'.

A very bad scan of such a picture can be seen here;

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/005594FS.htm

Of course Blyth would have been a target given the importance of the railway and coal export by sea. A battery was built for harbour (submarine) and costal defence in 1916;

http://www.nect.org.uk/index.php?page=blyth-battery-northumberland

A happening place, it has to be said  ;D

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Online aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just gone back into my list of 1911 census and I see my family were living in 23, Middleton Street in 1911

Now why when on the birth certificates thy have Station Cottages Newsham ????
Never mind its all in my past

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Where one is born and where one actually lives are two very different things even today.

I would imagine that at the time of the birth it was either a close relative or a very close friend of the family where a woman would have gone to have her child as she would need all the help she could get. Same thing applies today medically. Don't get too worked up about it. They are only known locations for particular people at certain points of time in their lives.

You might never find out why the birth took place where it did, but don't let that put you off trying to find out.  ;D

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »

The community of Waterloo...

It's address ( not necessarily a postal address, but a formal way of prescribing where a place lay, based on ecclesiastical administration)

Waterloo. (in the Township of
 Cowpen,   (in the Parish of
 Horton,     ( in the county
 Northumberland.

And Middleton Street built some time before 1897 would have had a similar address.

Address for Bridge Street, Blyth would have been...

Bridge Street,  (in the community of
Blyth,               (in the Township of
South Blyth & Newsham ( in the Parish of
Earsdon,  (in the county of
Northumberland.

However in 1907  the neighbouring Urban Districts of  Blyth (4000 pop) and Cowpen (12000 pop) merged .The new combined area was called BLYTH.

So after 1907..

Middleton Street
Waterloo
Blyth
Northumberland... then eventually the Waterloo bit would have been dropped

Trivia Angle.

Mail to Blyth area..

" About sixty years* ago it was arranged for letters to come by Shields, three times a week, by a riding postman. When he arrived he sounded his horn as he came up the street ; he then ascended the mount at the Star and Garter door and then read over the names of the parties to whom the letters were addresses.

There were commonly a considerable number of people collected: a few were expecting letters, and a number of gossips  who having little business  of their own to attend to, spent their leisure attending to the business of their neighbours.

These were the special dread of young females who were expecting letters from their lovers; but it was understood that those young ladies managed to outwit the gossips , by bribing the postman to omit announcing their letters. "

Extract from "The History of Blyth" by John Wallace, 1869*

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Blyth Battery has its own website, Philip

http://blythbattery.org.uk/

Closed for the winter as it's freezing down there but we'll be open again every weekend throughout the summer from Easter.

Got to get a plug in at every opportunity  ;D

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Blyth Battery has its own website, Philip

http://blythbattery.org.uk/

Closed for the winter as it's freezing down there but we'll be open again every weekend throughout the summer from Easter.

Got to get a plug in at every opportunity  ;D

Christine

Being brought up in Blyth and frequenting the Mermaid Cafe for ice-cream on a regular basis in warmer months (especially the summer 1976) the Battery is one of the places I never gained access. I shall have to make a trip and try and fit all sorts of stuff into 'home' visit, it is a 2.5 hour drive for me these days. Thanks for the 'plug'.  ;D

Philip