Author Topic: Buckley, Limavady 'pot shop'  (Read 2848 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Buckley, Limavady 'pot shop'
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:26 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot:
My father's father left his wife and son around 1932 in Rochdale, Lancashire (when my father was 6 years old). He was born in Rochdale in 1895 and as far as I know from my research he had no family connections outside Lancashire. He was never seen or heard from again.
However - it was said that after he left his wife and child he moved to Limavady to either work in (or own) a 'pot shop'. I'd always understood that a pot shop was an establishment selling china, though I learn recently that it is an Ulster expression for a bar.
His name was Chriss Buckley (that's the way it was spelled on his birth certificate), though he could have been known as Chris or Christopher, I suppose. He was a joiner by trade.

So, in order to find out if the family tradition has any truth in it - and hopefully to find out what became of my grandfather - I wonder if the name Chriss Buckley, in the context of Limavady in the early to mid 1930s, rings any bells with any list member.
Many thanks
Ian

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buckley, Limavady 'pot shop'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There is a brilliant site for Limavady run by Jochen Lueg. He has a section where you can leave messages asking about or trying to find people. Good luck.
Regards
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to the Limavady website mentioned in above post-
http://home.freeuk.com/jochenlueg/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for those replies. I'll certainly go to the site you recommend to post a request for information about the fate of my grandfather. Who knows - this story may be a baseless family legend. Though in my experience of family research most legends have a basis in fact, however distorted!
Best wishes from Cornwall
Ian