Author Topic: Birth lookup  (Read 1311 times)

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth lookup
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello  listers

I have posted here before about my ancestor DANIEL NEW. I am trying to identify his birth and parents. He was convicted of Larceny at the Berkshire Assizes in 1834 when 26 years old, followed by transportation to Australia. So must have  born about 1808/9. I recently discovered a useful description of his crime and hoped it might mention his native place.

The "Berkshire Chronicle," 1 March 1834,

Daniel New and David Exall. 
New, charged with stealing a quantity of barley and beans, at Hurst, and Exall for receiving the same, knowing it to have been stolen.
Mr. Rigby stated the case.Mr. John Webb, a farmer at Hurst, had employed the prisoner as a labourer. Had lost some corn several times. New had often come to say that the barn had been broken open.  Went to Exall's and found one and a half bushels of barley. Exall said he had bought it of New. The barley was like some prosecutor had at home.
Mr. James Allwright is a corn dealer at Hurst:  went with last witness to Exall's, and found some barley. John Eamer, a labourer employed by prosecutor in thrashing barley. New came to him and said he wanted barley.  New put two bushels in a sack, and took it into a field: gave witness twopence halfpenny a bushel for it, the price he used to get for thrashing.
New - guilty, seven years' transportation.  Exall - not guilty.

Hurst was a useful clue and luckily The Hurst Parish registers are online, but Daniel is not listed there as I had hoped. in fact there appears to be only one New family there, though tantalizingly, the father of this family was a Daniel New.

I wonder If anyone has access to to other local registers? If so I would very much appreciate a lookup, if only to eliminate possibilities.

I have also emailed Berkshire Records Office hoping for a quote on the costs of researching the trial or gaol records for clues to his identity. But another post here may open another line of enquiry to help solve the puzzle.

Grateful for any help and advice,

Greg
Australia

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 05:46 GMT (UK) »
hi Greg

Only birth I can see on A*****try for a Daniel NEW is 28 Apr 1806
Portsea, Hants

Father: John NEW
Mother: Mary

Maternal Grandfather: William ADAMS
  "           Greandmother: Elizabeth

Cheers
Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage in Reading St Lawrence, Berkshire for a Daniel New in 1826 to a Lucy Wootton.4th July 1826.
Also it looks as if he went to Australia on the Lady Nugent ship. There is quite a lot of info about the Lady Nugent 1835, and it says that Daniel was assigned to the Rev. G K Rusden. There is a number for him 128373 don't know if this was his number as a convict or not.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks paco and aniph

You can see my problem...if his age in 1834 was indeed 26 then the absence of any birth data  approximate to that date is quite problematic. It makes the 1826 marriage unlikely; he is listed as single and protestant on his convict records,  and that his native place was Berkshire. I am assuming his native place is also his birth place, but if i am incorrect then  the Portsea birth in 1806 is tantalizing .

Even though there is scant information about his birth, there is certainly a little more associated with his convict life, as paco discovered.

I really need a scrap of data that will help me move in a new direction. i hope the BRO can offer such a clue!
Thanks very much for your efforts on my behalf.

Greg

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is old history, posting way back in 2010, but the Daniel New who married Lucy Wootton in 1826 is definitely my GGG Grandfather.   He died in Newbury, Berkshire in 1871, his occupation was Hawker.

We are still trying to decide whether this Daniel New the Convict was related to our family.  With DNA matching available now, it is possible that we have a family connection.   Still trying to get more information on the parents of Daniel New the convict.   Our Daniel New was bapt. 1.5.1792 at
Ashbury, Berkshire, he was one of 11 children of Joseph New and Elizabeth Hide.   His Father was a Shepherd at Kingston Winslow, near Ashbury, where the New family lived for many generations.
Our Daniel New and his wife Lucy were shown in 1841 census as living in Wash Road, Newbury, so at some time between their marriage in 1826 and then, he moved his family to Newbury, not far from Ashbury.     

Jan

I have found a marriage in Reading St Lawrence, Berkshire for a Daniel New in 1826 to a Lucy Wootton.4th July 1826.
Also it looks as if he went to Australia on the Lady Nugent ship. There is quite a lot of info about the Lady Nugent 1835, and it says that Daniel was assigned to the Rev. G K Rusden. There is a number for him 128373 don't know if this was his number as a convict or not.
regards.
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Janjim

gbugden hasn't been on Rootschat since Oct 2017,but as long as he hasn't changed his email address,should be notified that we have posted here and hopefully come back online to reply to you.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Carol, Thank you for letting me know.
Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales