Author Topic: Hans Land  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hans Land
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify the family below, whose photographs are in an album bought from a junk shop some time ago.

Luckily there is a name for this gentleman - Hans Land. A quick look on Google tells me there was a German writer/actor called Hans Land, but I can find nothing much on him.

The writing on the back of most of the photographs is in German, and the photographic studios where a few of them were obviously taken, were in Eilenburg, Leipzig, Berlin and Paris.

Also in the album is a postcard of the West London Synagogue. On the back of one of the photographs of this woman, is written in English, '1937 or 38 when Mum was still with us'.

Skull

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hans Land
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
There's a writer called Hans Land referred to in a book called Die Novelle. It's available in google books and on page 248 mentioned that Hans Land was born on the 25th August 1861 in Berlin. No further biographical details that I could see but it is in German.

Assuming that there was only one novelist called Hans Land then he seems to have been published up until the 1920s and had several novels to his name.

If that is the case then he might turn up in works on German Literature. Possibly repost the query on the German board(*)  and ask for suggestions of online (or other resources).

(*) Moderator Comment: moved to "Europe" Board

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
a little further info about the author including his year of death and what might be his original name (or a pen name)

https://portal.d-nb.de/opac.htm?method=showFullRecord&currentResultId=hans%2Bland%2526persons%2526any&currentPosition=1

the link is to the german national library, if it doesn't work just try the first part with http instead of https, then put in hans land and click on suche (search)

you'll get a lot of hits but on the right hand side of the screen there's a way of selecting personen (persons)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Does the album make any reference to people with the surname of David or the city of Shanghai?

Bit of a long shot bu the Museum of Jewish History has a marriage certificate of a Hugo Landsberger and Ella David in 1938 in Shanghai. Apparently a large number of jewish refugees from europe fled to Shanghai as it was releatively easy to gain entry. It can't have been cheap to travel that far so it might have been within reach of Hans/Hugo if he had been relatively successful.

correspondence with him is recorded here
http://findingaids.cjh.org/?pID=121483

chinese marriage certificate (there's a hebrew document as well)
http://collection.mjhnyc.org/index.php?g=detail&object_id=2707

another mention of him(in german):
http://web23.cletus.kundenserver42.de/2008/05/29/das-maedchen-und-der-staatsanwalt/

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies and the links.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the surname David or the city of Shanghai. Perhaps this is because all of the photographs seem to have been taken before the war. Nearly all the writing on the photographs is in fairly illegible German.

Nearly all of them are of Hans and his wife, apart from a few family pets. There are no children in them, bit they obviously had at least one child, who was presumably living in England at some stage. The houses in the pictures appear to be German.

It would be good to find someone from their family and reunite them with this album. Perhaps I should contact one of the Jewish organisations.

Thanks again

Skull

Offline hansland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 August 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
The photo you have is of Hugo Landsberger (pseudonym Hans Land). Hugo Landsberger was born on 25. August 1861 in Berlin. He married Lola Rameau (actress) in Berlin. Hugo was classed as “missing” in 1938. I think Lola and/or a child or children may have escaped Berlin and gone to London. His father was Rabbiner Dr. Julius Landsberger. The entry for Julius Landsberger in wikipedia is incorrect. There must have been two Rabbi Dr. Landsbergers living around the same time in Germany.

Landsberger, Julius, Dr. phil., Rabbi, 04.11.1822 in Skronskau near Landsberg /Upper Silesia, died 05.02.1894 in Köthen/Anhalt.
Father: Daniel Landsberger. Mother: Marianna Landsberger (née Coronna). Married Agnes Herzberg 19.07.1853 in Köthen/Anhalt.

Children of Julius and Agnes Landsberger (née Herzberg):
Elise, born 17.09.1854 in Hirschberg
Eduard Daniel, born 29. 01.1857 in Köthen/Anhalt, died 10.11.1871 in Friedland
Louis, born 5.02.1859 in Berlin, died 9.03.1860
Hugo (Yehuda) (Ps. Hans Land, author), born 25.08.1861 in Berlin, 1938 "missing". Married to Lola Rameau (Berlin actress).
Nanny (Hannah), 4.03.1864
Gertrud (Sara), 2.06.1865
Margarethe (Miriam), 4.07.1866
Tony, 24.07.1869
Helene, 7.09.1870, born in Sandersleben/Anhalt, (1944 Theresienstadt)

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information on Hans Land.

Skull

Offline hansland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
I would be most interested to know more about the contents of the photo album. I am related to Hugo Landsberger.

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
If you send me a personal message with your contact details and email address, I can let you have more information on the contents of the album. I can also scan in a few more of the photos, and let you have these.

What is your family connection with Hans Land?

Skull