Author Topic: Pre census: SNARE and READER of Brandon, Suffolk  (Read 2575 times)

Offline dgrelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pre census: SNARE and READER of Brandon, Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 13 January 10 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Grateful if anyone has info on Snare and Reader of Brandon Suffolk. I have a Mary Snare  b. Brandon 1818 (IGI gives a Wesleyan chapel baptism date) who married in 1839 a George Reader b. Brandon c1818; their marriage cert names her father as James Snare, bricklayer, whose wife was Mary (possibly nee Spurden). Info from couple of contacts on other sites give divergent ancestors for the Snare side. On George Reader he was illegitimate and mother named as Mary Reader b. Brandon c1794 but oddly father named on cert as Jas but surname indecipherable but possibly Mann - again any info on Readers appreciated.   

Offline joxey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pre census: Snare and Reader of Brandon, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I have an interest in a Mary Snare b. 1818 Brandon, chr.Wesleyan Meth.Church Brandon 29 Mar 1818, d. Josiah Wesley Snare and Mary Green/Keane. 
She had siblings 1.Josiah Wesley Snare (1812-1890), Henry 1815, Samuel 1817, and Thomas 1821 all possibly born Brandon with one chr. Bury  St.Edmunds. I am descended from Josiah 1812.  Further info. available

Offline dgrelaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks. I have been given, from GenesReunited, several options for Mary's parents and your names for Mary's parents are new to me. My Mary married George Reader on 9.3.1839 at age 21 and the certificate names James Snare, bricklayer of Brandon as her father; witnesses were Coulny Savomy and Mary Ann Reader, who were step father and mother of Mary's husband George Reader. So not sure how this ties in with your info for Mary's father as being Josiah. Other possible names of Mary's parents that I have been given are James Snare/Mary Spurden who also had a Mary in 1808 but I think died hence my Mary in 1818 may be a possible but again I have to check substantively. The IGI ref for Mary Snare's birth in 1818 in Brandon and christening at Weslyan Church fits with my Mary as parents named as James and Mary Snare but I have not seen the original. I would be extremely interested to see any other info that you have. Best regards

Offline joxey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 05:18 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned I am descendent from Josiah 1812.  Josiah apparently travellefd to Wigan area possibly for work.  He there married Mary Snare b. Bathgate Scotland and then in c. 1839/1840 travelled to Australia.  At the time of my great grandmother Mary Ann's birth in Muswellbrook NSW in 1846, Josiah was working as a shepherd.  I have not yet been able to find the ship or year in which they left England.  Other researchers have combined information from c.1846 to when both Josiah and Mary died on goldfields of southern NSW at the end of 19th century.  I was in touch with another researcher in Brandon but could not find connection with my family.  Happy researching!

Offline june blakeway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Pre census: SNARE and READER of Brandon, Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi There
My husband is decended from Josiah and Mary Snare. I have some information re the family and their emigration. Most of it I have found out accidentally. Would you like to share
June