Author Topic: Scottish Tea-dealers in Liverpool  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Elmca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Tea-dealers in Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi I came across the thread as I am looking for info on the occupation of Tea Dealer, what status would this job have had?  My ggg-gf was a Tea Dealer.  His name was John McFadzean, he was an Irish immigrant and died in 1875 age 78 years old at Kilmarnock.
Young (Midlothian/Berwickshire/Fife)
Gibb (Ayrshire/Lanarkshire)
McCulloch (Ireland/Lanarkshire)
Affleck (Ireland/Midlothian)
McFadzean/McFadyen (Ireland/Ayrshire)
Sommerville (Ayrshire/Motherwell)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 April 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
My gt-gt-grandfather George Adamson (1806-1859) was also a Scottish Tea Dealer.  He came from Ruthwell, Dumfriesshire, and moved to Rochdale, Lancs., where he set up his business, employing 3 men.  I dare say the tea was imported to Liverpool and transported up the Liverpool-Manchester canal system to Rochdale and elsewhere.  He seems to have done rather well out of the business, educating his children privately.  I have 2 large oil portraits of him and his wife - he looks very forbidding and she looks rather sweet. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline fishergate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
gillg
Do you have the parents of George Adamson born in Ruthwell Dumfriesshire ? He must have been a contemporary of my 2x gt. grandfather in Dumfriesshire. Was he a younger son ?
Fishergate

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 10:33 BST (UK) »
fishergate

I believe George's parents were Robert Adamson 1777-1855, son of James & Isobel, and Jannet Bell 1781-1821.  George was the only son of the couple, but Robert married again (to Christine Carruthers) and had 3 sons - John 1825, Robert Symes 1828 and James 1830.  From the information I was given from another family member, it looks as though George and his half-brothers all moved to Rochdale, where they eventually died. George and his wife have a splendid monument in Rochdale cemetery decorated with thistles and roses.  Robert is said to have been a grocer. 

As I said above, I believe this to be true, but am relying on the information given to me by another family member, who has put together a massive family tree going back to the Scottish kings!  She has also kindly added 10 years to my age, so I cannot rely on her information entirely!

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline joysofglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 January 18 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Gillg belated apologies for adding 10 years to your age. I've found you again now in my tree descended from Sarah Ann Adamson who married John Hurst.
I'm using the latest version of Family Tree Maker so I can sync to Ancestry.Having used the old version since 2000 I'm still getting to grips with the new version and often have to revert to my old version and a copy tree when I want to look something up.
Your age won't show in my Ancestry tree as it marks living people as private. !

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Joy! 
Yes, Sarah Ann Adamson and George Thomas Hurst were my grandparents, though they died so young that I never knew them.  I married comparatively late and my children were not born till my mid 30s, which probably confused you. 
Gill  :)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi both

While researching our businessmen mentioned on another thread I also came across tea men from Scotland in Liverpool.

My best links came from Scotlands People

The bmd records are great with loads of details but the best bit was I had alimited will from the uk list with a referral to one in Portugal.  It turned out though that he and the son had property in Scotland as well as elsewhere though and the documents on here were brilliant with referals to businesses and contacts in England as well as Scotland and abroad including Portugal, Brazil and Canada.  Worth a look?

By the way,Giillg  was the Carruthers in the marriage you mention anything to do with Carruthers form?

Our research started with Richard Carruthers artist and ended up with Carruthers travels and business all over the world including wine in Portugal and manufacturing and importing including cotton in Manchester and tea in Liverpool.

Best wishes

Emms  :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, Emms
The only Carruthers I have in my tree is Christine, born 1796 in Dumfries & Galloway.  She was the second wife of my gt-gt-grandfather George Adamson's brother Robert, but more than that I don't know, I'm afraid. (George was a tea dealer, born in Ruthwell, D & G, but moved to Rochdale as a young man.)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for getting back
I did quite a bit of research in the Borders/Dumfries area when I was up north and there are hoards of Carruthers though not all dealers and merchants!

Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas