Author Topic: **enton in Harrow sub district in Hendon district.  (Read 5437 times)

Offline fmather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: **enton in Harrow sub district in Hendon district.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 April 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who answered my query. I am in phone contact with a volunteer archivist at St Lukes who will advise me who it was who was employing John Bell(Coachman) in 1866 when he worked at Kenton Grange. For interest of anyone in that area he was the Grandfather of Sir Ronald Bell QC Member of Parliament for Beaconsfield. Tony Blair's first (failed)attempt to get in was against him!
Thanks again

Offline fmather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 April 05 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who answered my query. I am in phone contact with a volunteer archivist at St Lukes who will advise me who it was who was employing John Bell(Coachman) in 1866 when he worked at Kenton Grange. For interest of anyone in that area he was the Grandfather of Sir Ronald Bell QC Member of Parliament for Beaconsfield. Tony Blair's first (failed)attempt to get in was against him!
Thanks again

I was really interested to find this posting....I don't know how old it is..... as I am a daughter of Sir Ronald Bell, the second of his four children.
Are you a relation of ours? What is your interest in John Bell, my great grandfather?
I would be really fascinated to know what you have found out about him.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Kenton in Harrow sub district in Hendon district.
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Have just come across a photo of Kenton Grange on Facebook.

PM me if you'd like a copy.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynneco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
I know I'm 15 years too late but I can remember Kenton Grange when I was a child in the 1950s and 60s, being an old people's home then (nowadays a care home!). I was told that in the 1940s and early 1950s there was a model railway which used to go round the perimeter and in the bushes there were marks where the tracks had once been.
McCudden - Ireland and England, (Yorkshire, Kent); Dancer (mainly Yorkshire), Shroff (England). Places: Kenton, Middlesex.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 May 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
The Harrow Observer, 31 Mar 1949, carries a photograph (very difficult to make anything out) and underneath it reads -

"KENTON MINIATURE RAILWAY - Two trains ready to start at the opening of the season at the Kenton miniature railway at Kenton Grange on Saturday afternoon. The "Immingham" locomotive on the right is in its 40th year of operation"

Also lots of adverts in this paper in the 1950s about jobs at "...Kenton Grange, Kenton road, Kenton (Home for aged persons) ...". What's intriguing is some of the adverts include " ... Protective clothing free ..."!

Offline Lynneco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this extra information. Lived in Kenton, Gooseacre Lane, from 1950 to 1970, so have fond memories of walking through there, via Lidding, to get to see my friend's aunts who lived on the corner of Woodgrange Ave. It's all a long time ago, but it was a lovely place to live then.

Do you have any info on when the Gooseacre area was built?

Hope you are OK during this extraordinary time. Stay safe.
McCudden - Ireland and England, (Yorkshire, Kent); Dancer (mainly Yorkshire), Shroff (England). Places: Kenton, Middlesex.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this extra information. Lived in Kenton, Gooseacre Lane, from 1950 to 1970, so have fond memories of walking through there, via Lidding, to get to see my friend's aunts who lived on the corner of Woodgrange Ave. It's all a long time ago, but it was a lovely place to live then.

Hi Lynn,

My hubby went to St Gregory's from 61 - 66,so knew that area well.

I lived at the other end of Kenton Lane near the Duck in the Pond from 53-73.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynneco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 May 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol - great to hear from you. I went to Uxendon Manor and then Kingsbury County 1961-68. I used to go to Kenton Library a lot, but did not know your end of Kenton that well.

I'm researching my early life as I'm attempting my autobiography. I grew up as an only child but found out that I am one of 13!

Hope you and yours are keeping safe in all this! Strange times we live in.

Best wishes

Lynne