Author Topic: Hon. Robert Daly and servants  (Read 4050 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hon. Robert Daly and servants
« on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Our ancestor James Palmer seems to have been servant to the Hon. Robert Daly of Eaton Place in 1851.
Can anyone tell me:
a) Who Daly was + where in Ireland he was born/had estates?
b) Is there any significance in the order in which servants in a big household were listed for the Census?i.e. were the most senior servants listed first?
Also, am trying to find out anything else about James Palmer ( b. London appx 1820. m'd Eliza who was living in Brick street in 1851) His name isn't an easy one to trace in London.
Any advice much appreciated.

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hon. Robert Daly and servants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I googled "Hon. Robert Daly" and got lots of information, so give it a try!

E.g., "Robert Daly (1818-1892) was the son of the first, and father of the last, Lord Daly of Dunsandel. He held important offices under the Lord Lieutenants of Ireland and his son was private secretary to Lord Beaconsfield."
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 11 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it possible that Daly (Dunsandle) brought him back with him? I note that, within the parish*, though not actually on Daly land, was a James Palmer. The lands had formed part of the ‘O’Hara estate’, which consisted of the entire Ardnadoman East townland of 71 acres. It was held for twenty years by James Palmer before it was purchased by the Congested Districts Board. I note the MP William Duffy was placed in charge of its subdivision and allotment.

Best of luck in your research.

* The parish referred to is modern Kilconierin parish (Kilconierin-Lickerrig-Kilconickny).

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks-, Sakdolan - I'll have a look and see if anything fits with my man.
On another tack, since you mention Ireland, we have other branches of the family in Ireland but it seems very difficult to do any research. Do you have any tips? We have McDonoughs from Galway ( early 1800's and O'Harras from Co. Down late 1700/early 1800's) These were ordinary working people who emigrated to England and, ultimately, to  Newcastle on Tyne mid-1800's.
Any advice very welcome.

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bykerlads,

Yeah, it is much more difficult over here as we 'accidently' destroyed at the census returns from 1821 with the oldest surviving census now 1901... not a good start. Basically we operate on census substitutes being the Tithe Valuation in the mid 1820's and the Griffith Valuation in the mid 1850's...

Any idea what part of Galway or Down? Or names, DOB's etc?

Steve

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
found a bit of info to add on robert daly in the dublin will & grant books index of records1270-1858 marriages  robert (hon) & hon maria cecilia acourt  1845 , nature of record ml page 303
i,ve written it as the page is laid out , there,s lots of other robert daly,s listed in different section including griffiths valuation index , also robert daly was still  in eaton sq in the 1871 cen
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Sakdolan,
We have Edward McDonough b. Galway abt. 1832, his wife Catherine nee OHarra b.Galway 1834, their first daughter Mary b. Galway 1855 ( the remaining children b. Leeds and Newcastle on Tyne).
Bridget OHarra b. 1800 Co. Down was his mother in law and Patrick his bro in law, b. 1840 Co. Down.
This info. is from English census 1861, so we have no idea exactly where in Galway & Down.
The other McDonough children were John, Stephen,Edmund, Catherine and Honora ( latter name used twice for daughters, one died, so must have been a family name).
How common were the name Edward & the children's names amonst Irish folk? they look a bit unusual to me, though am no expert.
Any thoughts, anyone?

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bykerlads,

Yeah, those names were actually quite common over here (even Edmund and Honoria). In truth the McDonagh name is almost as common as Kelly in places over here so it will be a challenge to nail them down to a specific parish of the parish. As a (very broad) generalisation, it may be a west of Galway (Connemara) parish.

Given the lack of census, the only hope of finding these is in parish registers... and other than looking in the registers of every parish in Galway, you may have to (i) hire a professional Genealogist over here, or (ii) contact the Galway West Genealogical Society.

Steve

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if it will be nigh on impossible to trace the McDonoughs back to their Irish roots.
Am a bit unclear about Irish history but how does the fact that they left Ireland mid to late 1850's square with the diaspora following the potato Famines? I had the impression that it was  at an earlier date.