Author Topic: Who & where was the father?  (Read 12961 times)

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Who & where was the father?
« on: Tuesday 15 March 05 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help please. Have been searching for  the birth of JAMES TOMS for months,  have finally received B. Cert which I'm almost certain is his. Quote " James Toms b. 11th Feb. 1841 at Budla Tintagel" Was hoping to confirm this is the right James Toms  by his fathers name, as stated on James' marriage cert as ANTHONY TOM. But 'foiled again'!! B. Cert only shows his mother as Mary TOMS! How can I trace his father? Have looked on 1841 census but no luck -  Any advice gratfully received!

Researching TOM/S-HOCKING-PASCOE- COAD - Lostwithel /Lanlivery Cornwall & Croydon Chelsea London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who & where was the father?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Have you found your James on all the other available census?  Are they all consistent with his age/birthplace?   Is he not with a relative in 1851?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 10:05 GMT (UK) »
 Problem is that  only official doc. I have, is Marr. cert. which states age 23 - 1864 Father Anthony TOM. Census 1871 he was in Cumberland  age 33! with family & 1881 was in Chelsea  age 36!But I know these are the right family.Have searched the GRO for Antony's,  only very few but not right. Census only say he was  b. cornwall . As there are lots of James TOM/S hard to find the right one. But instinct tells me  the b. cert in Tintagel  might be the right James. Anthony is an enigma & James a right pain!! Any further help would bemuch appreciated. Perhaps a Barstady  Bond if I could find one? Thanks A.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Ann
had a look on the BVRI for Anthoney only one

Anthony Thom b 12/7/1818
                       chris 9/8/1818 at Wesleyan Methodist London

father Alexander Thom

mother Jane Allen

F/M Jane
M/F Mary

hope this might help

audrey

Offline AnnF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Audrey.Does this mean that  this Anthony Thom was b. in London? He would certainly be about the right age to 'father' James. Any suggestions how to proceed? Many thanks for the information anyway.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Ann
sorry thats all the info it gives dont know where he was born only that he was chris in London
sorry
audrey

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 05 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking at BMD for Camelford James Tom was born in 1841 but it appeared that he died in 1844 alongside the child Mary Jane Tom who lived in Budlea Tintagel at the time James was born.

If James was a base child Mary could have gone here to her brother to have him and that is how the two families are connected.

What does anyone else think ?

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 05 01:50 GMT (UK) »
There was a James Y Toms born in 1841 in Penzance according to Free BMD and he was in Northumberland in 1891. Does this tie in better to what you want do you think ?

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 05 03:00 GMT (UK) »
There was yet another James Toms born in 1841 in St Martin by Looe (Liskeard Registration District).

The one registered in Penzance was actually a birth in St Ives and the father wasnt on the census so that may be an Anthony - perhaps he was away at sea.

You can ask about these certificates without having to pay each time. You write to the register office and say which cert you are interested in and then say "please do not issue the cert unless........."..in your case "unless the father is Anthony Tom". I was told that by one of the reg offices I dealt with. It ensures you dont buy a totally irrelevant cert.

Hope this has been of use.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall