Author Topic: Cameron's of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cameron's of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 02:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on an Alexander Cameron that lived in Chirnside and was born around 1788-1791.  He moved to Nova Scotia, Canada around 1818 and married and Elizabeth Ann Hurst when he arrived.    I don't know of his parents, but it possible that his father was also Alexander and married to a Paxton, and possibly killed in Waterloo in 1815.   Any help of this family would be appreciated.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron's of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn10,

This is in the M.I's pre 1855 by David Cargill.

Chirnside 132.  John cameron late overseer at Whitehall d. there 27. 4.1836 76 yrs.  wife Janet Paxton d. at Whitehall 1.3.1851 84 yrs. eldest son Alexander of Ardoise Hill Nova Scotia 1.7.1866 2nd dau.Whilelmina Hall d. at Lochiel Cottage Chirnside 27.12.81 youngest dau. Jane d. at Lochiel 10.9.1886.

On back.
Margaret dau. of John Cameron 29.3.1797 2 yrs.  Emily Pilkington 30.7.1849 27 yrs. dau of Lieut. H.Pilkington and Jane Cameron his wife John Trotter Pilkington C.E. and his son A.J. C. Pilkington both killed in a Railway Accident near Oxford 24.12.1875  Anna Cameron Pilkington d at Whitehall 17.11.1878 wife of Lieut. Pilkington.

Hope of some help.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Beckey.  I was able to find some info last night after I made the post.  I just found last night about the John Cameron and Janet Paxton and was elated with the find.  I couldn't make a confirmation until you sent the info today and mentioned the Alexander of Nova Scotia.  He is my great, great, great Grandfather and the dates are exact to the headstone  in NS.  I was and am so excited as I have been searching a long time for Alexander's parents.  Thank you so much!  If you find any other information on this family, please reply here.  Also, what are "M.I's"  This is an abbreviation that I am not familiar with.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
hi Dawn10,

MI = Monumental Inscription.

This may also be of interest.
Chirnside 135.  Large table stone.
John Paxton 19.2.1816  95yrs. spouse Margaret Dods  11.11.1779 50 yrs.  Andrew Paxton April 1755 9 mths. Jean Paxton Oct.  1763 5 yrs. grandson John Cameron Botanist d. at Whitehall 3.7.1871 2nd son of John Cameron and Jane Paxton his wife who both died at Whitehall and their youngest son Thomas cameron who d. in Edinburgh 17.2.1873 (see also No. 132).

1841 don't have.

1851 Chirnside Village.
Donald Cameron   H  M  46  Supervisor of Inland Revenue  Perth,Callander.
Elspet                   W  M  30                Moray,Knockando.
John                      S       10  Scholar       "           ".
Lewis                    S        8        "            "           ".
Donald                  S        5        "             "           ".
James                   S         1                  Berwick,Duns.
Jane                     D         under 1 mth.     "       Chirnside.
Janet                   Mother  W  73  Formerly Farmer's Wife  Inverness,Kilmonivaig.

Whitehall.
Wilhelmina Cameron  H  U  50  Annuitant       Berwick,Chirnside.
John                           B  U  58  Gardener             "           ".
Ann Pilkington            S  M  48  Household Duties   "       "
Jane Cameron            S  U  46  Household Duties     "       ".

Chirnside Village.
Agnes Cameron     H  W  66  Worker at the Paper Mill (rag cutter)  Berwick,Chirnside
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn10,

Bit more.
1861 Chirnside Whitehall--4 rooms.
Minnie Cameron      H  U  60  Fundholder & annuitant   Berwick,Chirnside.
Anne Pilkington       S  W  Annuitant           Berwick, Chirnside.
Jane Cameron         S  U  49  House Proprietor   Berwick,Chirnside.
John Cameron         B  U  68  Formerly gardener      "           ".

Hope that all helps somewhat.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much once again.  I had found the "free" census for 1841, 1851 and 1861.  The other people that you mentioned other than "my" Cameron's I haven't been able to  make the connection with at this time...

The other M.I of the Paxton's was another help!  More names and dates that I did not have.  Are the M.I's available online for free, or do you need to pay to get that information?  I would love to have a copy. 

As for the first M.I that you sent I have a few questions about it.  One is "late overseer at Whitehall"....does that mean that he took care of the Whitehall estate?  The next question concerns the "on back" and the Pilkington's.  In the 1861 census it states that Jane was unmarried and that Anne was the widow of a Pilkington, but in the M.I it states that Jane was the wife of H. Pilkington.  Do you know if Anne was the first wife and when she passed away did he marry the sister Jane???  (or am I reading this wrong)...  Also, is the John Trotter Pilkington the son of H. Pilkington and Anne?  Any help here to clarify would be so appreciated.  (see below for the M.I that you sent.)

"Chirnside 132.  John cameron late overseer at Whitehall d. there 27. 4.1836 76 yrs.  wife Janet Paxton d. at Whitehall 1.3.1851 84 yrs. eldest son Alexander of Ardoise Hill Nova Scotia 1.7.1866 2nd dau.Whilelmina Hall d. at Lochiel Cottage Chirnside 27.12.81 youngest dau. Jane d. at Lochiel 10.9.1886.

On back.
Margaret dau. of John Cameron 29.3.1797 2 yrs.  Emily Pilkington 30.7.1849 27 yrs. dau of Lieut. H.Pilkington and Jane Cameron his wife John Trotter Pilkington C.E. and his son A.J. C. Pilkington both killed in a Railway Accident near Oxford 24.12.1875  Anna Cameron Pilkington d at Whitehall 17.11.1878 wife of Lieut. Pilkington."

Once again, Thank you so much!  I have passed on the information to a relative in the States and she was very elated as to what I have found and the information that you gave me.  We have been working very hard on this line, and want to learn as much as we can about the Cameron's.

All the best!

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn10,

Unfortunately I can only copy what is printed, the rest has to be worked out.

I assume overseer is a kind of foreman or agent.
The M.I.s can be purchased from www.scotsgenealogy.com there is a set of 3 covering Berwickshire.

"On the back" means that it was on the reverse of the same head stone.

As to the census, I can only assume that Ann was married in 1851 and widow in 1861, you would have to find the death cert. of Lieut. Pilkington to verify wife or the death cert. of Ann Pilkington & Jane Cameron.  These you should be able to get on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  for a small charge.

Otherwise that is all I can help with.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn10,

If you go on to www.familysearch.org  there is a marriage of a Henry Augustus Cameron Pilkington to a Anne Mackenzie Cameron about 1820 at Chirnside and a Bapt. 24/1/1822 at Chirnside of Emily Pilkington daughter of the above.

You could still do with a 1841 census of Chirnside.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Angela Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that you have done.  Your research is and was so greatly apprecieated!  All the best in the coming year!