Author Topic: Look-up please: Tullamore Directory mid-1800's : Whyte, "leather business"  (Read 14262 times)

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up please: Tullamore Directory mid-1800's : Whyte, "leather business"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 January 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Slater's Directory of Tullamore 1894 only gives;

Commerical;
White Wm. boot ma. Charlville parade.

Thank you very much! It is at last something concrete to work on!

Eamann
Beggins (Belfast)
Brady (Cavan, later Monaghan)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
O'Kane (Antrim, then Belfast)
O'Rourke (Sligo and Leitrim)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 January 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »

the same listing appears in the 'Boot and Shoe makers' section of the 1881 edition

Shane

Thank you too! I'm sending off a request for Teresa Whyte's marriage certificate and that should give me her father's name. We will then see if it is William or not. I'll let you know.

Eamann
Beggins (Belfast)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, in particular to Seanmac and Shanew, for looking up the Tullamore street directories. The shoemaker William Whyte advertised in them is indeed my newly-discovered g-g-grandfather!

I received today the marriage certificate of George Magee and Teresa Whyte and William the shoemaker is her father. The marriage took place on 8 January 1888 and Teresa was aged 25, so presumably she was born in 1862 or 1863.

Could you please confirm that the advertisement spelt the name "White" and not "Whyte"?

I note too that the advertisements gave his address as Charleville Parade whereas the marriage certificate gives the address of Teresa as Charleville Road. Perhaps he lived in one place and had his workshop around the corner? Or do you have another explanation?

Could you also give me the address of the Catholic church in which they were married? Am I right in thinking that that church was knocked down and replaced by a newer church some years after the marriage?

In the LDS database the only William Whyte from Tullamore is given as dying in the first quarter of 1900 aged 68. That could well be Teresa's father.

Have you any suggestions to make about how I could take my research further, in particular to find out the identity of Teresa's mother?

My grandmother believed that Teresa was an only child. In any case there are no other Tullamore-born Whyte's in Tullamore in the 1911 census.

I have ordered the LDS microfilm of the Tullamore Catholic records, but that may take several months to arrive, in the hope of finding William's marriage and Teresa's birth.

Once again, thank you very much for your help and for any more information or advice you can give me.

Beannachtai,

Eamann
Beggins (Belfast)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that the directories using the spelling given above - i.e. White

It looks like that road out of Tullamore to the south-west is named after Charleville estate.. on modern maps it's marked Charleville Rd, and there' no sign that I can see of parade.

You can see the road and estate on the OSI maps - see Charleville St., Tullamore  (select the Historic, or Historic B&W option)

It looks like the northern end of the road  has house and possibly shops... maybe a section of houses was called Charleville parade...if you google 'charleville parade, tullamore', one of the results leads to : http://www.tullamorelife.net/history.html which states that the continuation of Charleville road street now marked Cormac St, was previously known as Charleville parade. Location on modern google map Charleville Rd / Cormac St

what's the name of the church (should be on the marriage cert) ?

unfortunately is looks like Teresa was born just before civil records started.. so parish records are the next line of enquiry..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane for all that additional information.

I am pleased to discover the OSI website. I had never thought of trying them, relying on Google Maps instead. I will have to explore its potential, in particular the historic maps.

I searched Google Maps for Charleville Parade but did not think of doing a Google search. Following your example, I have just done so and it seems that the name Charleville Parade was in use up until quite recently. I also found a link to an old photo of the street http://www.myhometown.ie/Galway/Offaly/Tullamore/Street_view_of_Charleville_Parade/2030.html

As regards the church, the marriage certificate just says "RC chapel of Tullamore" and on the Offaly Historical Society site I have just read that the old town church in Chapel Street was replaced by the present Assumption of our Blessed Lady church. Presumably then Teresa and George married in Chapel Street.

Once again, thank you for help!

Best wishes,

Eamann
Beggins (Belfast)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
In 1881 there's a few RC churches listed in the Tullamore section but I think the only one actually in the town is :

Roman Catholic Church, Harbour Street
   Very Rev. Matthew McElroy, D.D. P.P.

Shane 
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
just looked at google maps... Harbour st and Chapel st join.. so the church could be on the jct of the two..

see google map : Chapel St, Harbour St to Cormac St

edit : found the RC church on the historic maps, and it's off Chapel street, and Charles street... which based on the location is an old name for Harbour st. (I believe the OSI historic maps are 1st edition, so from around 1850s.) That seems to fit with location of the present church and the location mentioned in the 1880s directory

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
In 'Tullamore Roots 1901;, these are addresses given

Charleville Demesne
Charleville Square
Charleville Street
While in 1911
Chareville Demesne is the only one mentioned.

Tullamore Electors list 1936/37
Clonagh West;
White Kate, William.

Davitt Street;
Magee Margaret, Patrick.

Kilbride Street;
White Kate, Michael.

Killeigh;
White Richard.

Puttaghuan;
Mc Gee John, Kate.
White James, William.

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 January 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your further input.

George Magee and his bride Teresa Whyte were married on 8 Jan. 1888. I don't know where they settled down after their marriage. Perhaps Tullamore. Perhaps Dublin, where his family originated.

He was already an "army pensioner". My grandmother thought that he had been in India and had been injured there, perhaps even losing an arm. The British National Archives is going to put on-line in the course of this year their army pension records and I hope to find out more then.

In any case they end up in Belfast in 1895 with him working as the Superintendant of the St. Vincent de Paul Home for boys, a post he held until 1910. Some time later - perhaps when the Troubles broke out in Belfast - they emigrated first to friends or relatives in Liverpool and then later still to Detroit, where two of their children had gone to live. George had problems drawing his pension in the USA and came back to Liverpool where he died in 1935, after collapsing on the Pier from a heart attack.

Fascinating and moving stories...

Thank you once more for taking time to help me fill in the details!

Eamann

PS: In case you ever need to look up street directories for Belfast or other Ulster towns, and in case you do not know already these on-line databases, here are three excellent resources:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/belfast.htm

http://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/

http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Contents.php
Beggins (Belfast)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
Whyte (Tullamore)