Author Topic: Thomas Kavanagh/Ellen Mullin (Mullen) Family, North William St.  (Read 15941 times)

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
  • James and Winifred Kavanagh Abt 1925
    • View Profile
Thomas Kavanagh/Ellen Mullin (Mullen) Family, North William St.
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Attempting to break down my Brick Wall, :)  I am looking for any information on a Thomas Kavanagh born mid 1820s. Thomas, his parents, & sibling were evicted from their family property at Rathpierce, Ballyfad, Co. Wexford. He and 3 of his brothers James (my Great Grand father), Christopher and Charles moved to Dublin to live.

Thomas marries Ellen Mullins (Mullen) about 1873 or earlier and have two sons Patrick born Oct 1873 and Christopher b April 1878. There may have been more children from this union.

Thomas is supposable to have lived for a time at # 6 North William St., Dublin, and owned a Dairy Shop at # 34 North William St..

Does this ring any bells for anybody?

Kindest
John G.
Kavanagh - (Wexford, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Illinois USA)
Kinsella - Ballyconlore / Kilanerin.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kavanagh/Ellen Mullin (Mullen) Family, North William St.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
some details from various Thom's directories.. might help establish a timeline of addresses..

1880 Nrth William Str

#6 Dempsey, Mr. Thomas,
   theres no number 34.. numbers jump from 13 to 36
   (#34 William Street - number 34 & 35 are vacant)

St. Agatha's church is just after number 37

1884 Nrth William Str

#5 to 12 Keegan, John, dairy (tenements)
  #34 Thomas Kavanagh, diary

1894 Nrth William Str

#6 Baggott, Mrs. Emily
   #34 (Vacant)

there's no Thomas Kavanagh listed among the registered dairies

see eadaoin's reply to your other thread for possible parish record sources - North William Street – Closest RC Church and Cemetery?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane, I really appreciate that, at least I now know where Thomas lived in 1884. another question, do any Mullin(s)/Mullen appear in North William St?

Now that my family folklore seems pretty reliable, it is said that Thomas’s brothers Charles and Christopher were Millers, at Alexander Warf. I have absolutely nothing else on either of them.

Cheers
John G.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Making progress at last,

From records for St Agatha's Church, I found a CHRISTOPHERUS, born 16th Feb 1878 to Thoma Cavanagh and Ellena Mullens. Address given as 6 N. William. Unable to find birth of older son Patrick. Possibly family were moving about the place. Will continue to dig!

Kindest
John
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane, I really appreciate that, at least I now know where Thomas lived in 1884. another question, do any Mullin(s)/Mullen appear in North William St?

Now that my family folklore seems pretty reliable, it is said that Thomas’s brothers Charles and Christopher were Millers, at Alexander Warf. I have absolutely nothing else on either of them.

Cheers
John G.

I dont see any Mullens listed on Nrth William St in 1884.

I had a look for any details on Charles and Christopher, but I dont believe that Alexandra road, or Wharf existed in the 1880s.. looks like that area was built on reclaimed land. Alexandra-place is the only instance of that name in 1884, and it only has two houses..neither are Kavanaghs.

See this c1880 Dublin Map - no sign of Alexandra Rd or Basin. Alexandra basin is marked on the edge of this 1912 Dublin Map

p.s. that Irish Genealogy website is not completed, they are still adding Dublin city records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again Shane,

If I could trouble you once more,.... family lore has it that when my Great Grandfather James and his brothers moved to Dublin to live, James supposable went to an Aunt to live (1850) (McCann or Kavanagh). His aunt was married to a man named McBride of Newtown Park, who was a dairy farmer and he sold milk to the poor in Dublin. James worked with McBride for some time.

Does a McBride appear in Thom's directories for Newtown Park?

Kindest
John G.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again Shane,

If I could trouble you once more,.... family lore has it that when my Great Grandfather James and his brothers moved to Dublin to live, James supposable went to an Aunt to live (1850) (McCann or Kavanagh). His aunt was married to a man named McBride of Newtown Park, who was a dairy farmer and he sold milk to the poor in Dublin. James worked with McBride for some time.

Does a McBride appear in Thom's directories for Newtown Park?

Kindest
John G.

some possibly connected listings for Newtown-park, Blackrock in 1848 :

Joseph Drevar, dairyman

Joseph Drevar, dairyman
  James Kavanagh [no occupation]

Joseph Drevar, dairyman
  John Carroll, diary

John Jolly, dairy

no sign of any other McCann, Kavanagh or McBride entries. Maybe the McBride farmer was associated with one of the dairies listed...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Shane, ..... The 1850 entry looks good and could well be a match for my James Kavanagh, as the time frame is correct. I will have a look a Griffiths Valuations to  see if anything further there.

Regards
John
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan

Offline BrendanM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
jytefas
My surname is Mullins and my grandfather was Joseph Mullen from High St. Dublin. His father was George Mullen from Hanbury Lane in Dublin. Beyond that I am lost. Our ancestors may be connected further back.

Re: Thomas Kavanagh and Ellen Mullen - I located the baptism of their son, Patrick (1873) on www.irishgenealogy.ie
It was in the R.C. parish of Sandyford, which was then outside the city, to the south in county Dublin.

I also located a baptism of a Ellen Mullen on 30 Dec 1852, in the R.C. parish of St. Jame's. Parents - James Mullen and Mary Anne Brady.
Regards,
Brendan