Author Topic: German government warns against using MS Explorer  (Read 8435 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German government warns against using MS Explorer
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I'd say that it's a threat that's fast diminishing, given the number of people that I come across these days who are conversant with MS-DOS  :)

But to do certain things on Windows, it may be necessary to access Dos.

It's OK, thanks for the link - very interesting 

Realistically, it does not pose much of a threat if no one has managed to spot it in 17 years. ::)

...Not the most critical problem.

Steve

As I said....see emboldened text...

Nevertheless an exploit....

Nick asked a question I just supplied an answer.....

Microsoft need to come out with a proper ALL new O/S & stop thinking "We must make sure it works with all previous MS O/S`s", but they won`t....

But IE is still vulnerable & will remain so until MS get off their backsides & fix it.....

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »

I can`t say I`ve had any problems with complex sites & using Firefox, The Ancestry site seems fine to me.

IE7/8 is the only browser which seems to display the Ancestry Ancestor Profile pages correctly - on other browsers the line spacing is often wrong.  I had so many problems trying to get the Advanced Census Page Viewer to work on Firefox, I eventually gave up.  My friends have had similar experiences.

Can't say I have any such problem with Firefox and Ancestry or other "complex pages".

IE8 has problems with quite a number of pages, including Dick Eastman's Genealogy Newsletter.  They can only be viewed using "Compatibility View" i.e. IE7 emulation.  This could get worse as it appears that Microsoft may be dropping support for all the Front Page/IE only quirks that caused problems for other browsers.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 31 January 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »

IE8 has problems with quite a number of pages, including Dick Eastman's Genealogy Newsletter.  They can only be viewed using "Compatibility View" i.e. IE7 emulation.  This could get worse as it appears that Microsoft may be dropping support for all the Front Page/IE only quirks that caused problems for other browsers.

Robert

I guess this will mean a lot of web sites will have to ensure that they conform to International standards then?

Could prove interesting... ::)

Steve