Author Topic: German government warns against using MS Explorer  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German government warns against using MS Explorer
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I believe the warning was only against older versions of Internet Explorer. If you make sure to upgrade to the latest version then you will be fine. But if you are looking for another browser then Firefox is definiately the best.

I disagree.  I have tried all the others, and the one I always come back to is IE.   IE is the only browser that seems to cope with complex pages like the Ancestry site.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:44 GMT (UK) »
According to Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector), IE8 is still insecure and currently there is no solution.  This is despite this weeks updates.  Unless you have any strong preference for IE8 I would definitely switch to Mozilla Firefox.

There's a simple solution - use an effective firewall.  Don't rely on a browser to give your computer the security it needs.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I believe the warning was only against older versions of Internet Explorer. If you make sure to upgrade to the latest version then you will be fine. But if you are looking for another browser then Firefox is definiately the best.

I disagree.  I have tried all the others, and the one I always come back to is IE.   IE is the only browser that seems to cope with complex pages like the Ancestry site.

I can`t say I`ve had any problems with complex sites & using Firefox, The Ancestry site seems fine to me.

IE is only necessary on sites that aren`t coded correctly or was it that they were coded for IE, IE didn`t conform to standards (dunno if it does now?). Firefox & other browsers followed international standards & when they see a badly/incorrectly coded page they don`t display the page correctly.

IE8 is still vulnerable to a recoded version of the original exploit & there is also another exploit (different to the original one in this thread) out there which affects IE (including IE8). There is also a 17year old exploit recently discovered which affects ALL versions of Window upto Win7. Microsoft is aware of these new exploits & is looking into them....I won`t hold my breath on a fix anytime soon.. ::)

It comes down to personal choice of browsers, I`m still of the opinion that Firefox, Opera, Chrome or other browsers will make people slightly safer whilst browsing, at least for the time being. Its very easy for those like you & I, who are very aware & fairly technically knowledgable to use our experience to avoid pitfalls, but others aren`t, so its IMHO better they use a different browser.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
According to Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector), IE8 is still insecure and currently there is no solution.  This is despite this weeks updates.  Unless you have any strong preference for IE8 I would definitely switch to Mozilla Firefox.

I`d go along with that....But would add there are other browsers available as well, Opera & Google Chrome to name a couple.

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:47 GMT (UK) »
There is also a 17year old exploit recently discovered which affects ALL versions of Window upto Win7.

That's news to me !   Can you post a link on this one, please ?

I can`t say I`ve had any problems with complex sites & using Firefox, The Ancestry site seems fine to me.

IE7/8 is the only browser which seems to display the Ancestry Ancestor Profile pages correctly - on other browsers the line spacing is often wrong.  I had so many problems trying to get the Advanced Census Page Viewer to work on Firefox, I eventually gave up.  My friends have had similar experiences.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 31 January 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
There is also a 17year old exploit recently discovered which affects ALL versions of Window upto Win7.

That's news to me !   Can you post a link on this one, please ?

IE7/8 is the only browser which seems to display the Ancestry Ancestor Profile pages correctly - on other browsers the line spacing is often wrong.  I had so many problems trying to get the Advanced Census Page Viewer to work on Firefox, I eventually gave up.  My friends have had similar experiences.

Link to one such story about the 17 year old exploit, not the original one I read, its easily overcome for techies...Not the most critical problem.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/01/microsoft-investigates-17-year-old-windows-flaw.ars

As to Ancestry, can a non-member view the page, is there a specific link? I`m not a member & don`t have a sub.

Sorry to be brief, but I`ve got a bit of stuff to do to my PC, 2 removable SATA Caddies to go in, a PCI SATA card to fit (so I can fit 7 SATA HDDs), Win7 Pro, XP, & a couple of Linux Distros to install........hopefully all will go well & I`ll be back later.

Steve

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 31 January 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
It's OK, thanks for the link - very interesting  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 31 January 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
It's OK, thanks for the link - very interesting 

Realistically, it does not pose much of a threat if no one has managed to spot it in 17 years. ::)
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I'd say that it's a threat that's fast diminishing, given the number of people that I come across these days who are conversant with MS-DOS  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.