Author Topic: WILLIAMS and HICKS of Berkshire, Oxfordshire & Hampshire  (Read 1300 times)

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS and HICKS of Berkshire, Oxfordshire & Hampshire
« on: Tuesday 19 January 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help, I have a few problems with my research into the WILLIAMS travelling family.

At the top of my husband's tree I have a James WILLIAMS.   I know he lived in Bucklebury between 1823 and 1827, as this is where he married Sarah JONES and his first three children were baptised there.  After that I have him at various stopping places in Berks and Ox, then in 1841 living in Little Clarendon Street, Oxford:

James WILLIAMS (transcribed incorrectly as WILLIAMY) 35
Sarah 35
James 13
Richd 10
Elisha 7
Mary 4
Samuel 1

I cannot find him or his family in 1851, and in 1861 he was living in Abingdon, and this census states that he was born 1801 in Wokingham.  I would really like to find a baptism for him, so I can identify who his parents were.

In 1861 he and his wife Sarah had their Grandaughter Louisa GRIFFIN b1850 Marcham living with them.  This is the second mystery, as I do not have any of his daughters down as marrying a GRIFFIN, so I don't know who Louisa was or who her parents were.

Finally (for now), I am trying to confirm the marriage of his daughter Susannah b1826.  I thought she married Noah PIKE (b1829 Hungerford), as I found them in 1861 living in a field with Susannah's siblings.  However, I have been unable to confirm the marriage and according to someone on another website, on the birth certificate of their son Neptune, the mother is down as Susannah PIKE formerly SMITH - so I either have the wrong marriage or she had a previous brief marriage to someone called SMITH.

I would really appreciate any help, or maybe someone knows where I might find more information on this interesting family  :) .

Thanks

Monique
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline charsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS and HICKS of Berkshire, Oxfordshire & Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandfathers family came from the Berkshire area. My grandfather was known by the name of Collins but his parents names were Leonard Williams and Sarah Collins/Coates.  My grandfather started using the name Collins after he lost his driving licence. His mother and father were never legally married. As far as I know my grandfather has two living siblings - a sister called Emmy and a brother called Walter who I believe are still in Berkshire. One of Uncle Walters son's is Damian and he lives in Middlesex.