Author Topic: Seeking the right Catharine Manson.  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Priscurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking the right Catharine Manson.
« on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I am a newbie on this board.

I am seeking my great great grandmother whose name was Catharine or Catherine Manson.

I don't have the name of any parents.  Robert was suggested, but I think her children, separated from their natural grandparents by 12,000 miles and 6months voyage, were a little confused at times.   They seemed to confuse their aunt with their grandmother.

I only know the following about Catherine that is certain.  She was born in Scotland in 1826, according to her death and marriage certificates.

Being 12,000 miles from each other seemed to confuse Catherine's surviving children.  If my great aunt was correct, they seemed to get more correspondence from their aunt, Elizabeth Shiels, their father's sister.  They continually confused Elizabeth Shiels, Jane Rankin and Catherine Manson on certificates and registrations.   

On both Catherine and her husband's death cerficates the son and son-in-law stated that both of them came from Glasgow.  It appears this is incorrect in both cases.  Both Catherine and her husband were born in 1826 and both also died in 1903.   Catherine's husband was not born in Glasgow in 1826, but in Channelkirk, Berwickshire.
There are no Catherine Mansons born in Glasgow in 1826.  All Catherine Mansons born in 1826 came from Caithness.

There are only a few possibilities for our Catherine.

I have already been able to eliminate Catharine Manson b. 12/1/1826 to James Manson and Anne Davidson in Canisbay.  This Catharine marred David Paterson and remained in Scotland.

The possibilities are the following:

Catharine Manson b. 1/1/1826 in Halkirk to William Manson and Catharine Keith.

Catharine Manson b. 25 /5/ 1826 in Thurso to William Manson and Catharine Brock.

Catharine Manson b. 24/9 1826 and bapt 13/11/1826 to Charles Manson and Mary or Marion Sutherland.

The final  one is
Catharine Manson b  14/8/ 1826 in Canisbay   to James Manson and Christian Barnie or Barney.

If anyone can eliminate  any of these, I would be so grateful.

Denise

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the right Catharine Manson.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Denise

Can you tell us her husband's name?

Thanks
Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Priscurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply.

Catherine Manson married Archibald Shiels in Port Adelaide South Australia in July 1850.

They arrived on the same ship in February and both were born in the same year 1826 and (incidently died the same year 1903 both aged 76).

On both their death certificates, their children said they were born in Glasgow.  This is incorrect for both of them.  Archibald was born in Channelkirk Berwickshire.  We have his parent's names.  We don't have anything that is correct other than year of birth with regard to Catherine, but it would appear she wasn't born in Glasgow.

Denise

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 10 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise

I looked at all the resources I have and couldn't elliminate any of them, sorry!

Cheers
Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Priscurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 January 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thank you kindly for helping out anyway.

There are three Catherine Manson's on the 1841 Census in Thurso.   All were born in 1826, making them 15 and not needing any rounding of age.

I think the Catharine Manson aged 60 and the Catharine Manson Jr living in Campbell Street are Catherine Brock who married William Manson and their daughter Catherine aged 15.

I think the Catharine Manson living in Durness St with Margaret McLeod is the daughter of Christian or Christine Barnie or Barney and James Manson.  They had several children, the youngest aged 12 in the 1841 census.  Some catastrophe seems to have hit that family.  The parents have disappeared and the children are scattered to the four winds.

The third Catharine Manson is living also in Campbell St.  She is a female servant for David and Ann Manson and their children.  I think Catharine may be related to these Mansons.  But I am waiting to find out how.   My Catharine went into service in Edinburgh before taking passage for Australia, so this one looks decidedly the leading possibility at present.   Catherine, the daughter of Mary and Charles lost her mother quite young.  Charles remarried when Mary was 8 years old and went on to have 4 children with his second wife.   Of them, Hugh died aged 19 in Edinburgh.  Jemima Sinclair Manson married a Thomas Stewart and emigrated to NZ.   I have found a tree with their sister Elizabeth in it and am waiting to hear back from the owner.

I guess after that it will be down to MIs and other trees.

With thanks
Denise