Author Topic: kiwi connections at Forfar  (Read 1841 times)

Offline kiwicuzzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
kiwi connections at Forfar
« on: Wednesday 20 January 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
 ;)HI there.  I am from New Zeland and I am trying to trace relatives on my maternal side of the family.  I am looking for the Hopetons/Hoptons and any connections.  My Great Great Great Gradnfather was Joseph Hopeton and he married a Catherine Reid.  His son was John Hopeton of Lower Pleance Dundee who maried a Flora Mary Fox, born Forfar.  John Hopeton was born in 1865 in Forfar and had several children - Hannah, Flora, Elgah,, John and George.  The elder children were born in Soctland before they moved to Birmingham where my Great Granmother, Hannah, married a William Thomas Jackson.  They emmigrated to New Zealand in 1921.  I am ken to know if there is anybody tha has links to this family and information on Catherine Reid as I am having problems finding any accurate details.  I gaher that hen in Scotland, the family lived at Hopetoun House.
Hoping somebody can  help. Many thanks
Kia kah
Deb
Hopeton (Hopton), Jackson, Murhpy, Fox

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: kiwi connections at Forfar
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Great Gradnfather was Joseph Hopeton and he married a Catherine Reid.  His son was John Hopeton of Lower Pleance Dundee who maried a Flora Mary Fox, born Forfar.  John Hopeton was born in 1865 in Forfar
The International Genealogical Index gives his date of birth as 15 August 1864. His parents were married in Forfar on 9 January 1842. The 1901 census says that Flora was actually born in Dorset.

The 1881 census lists at 12 Starks Close, Forfar Joseph Hopton, general labourer, aged 59, born Airlie with wife Catherine, also 59, born Forfar, son John, 16, born Forfar, daughter Elizabeth, 19, born Kingston, Canada and granddaughter Catherine, 5, born Forfar.

There's also a William Hopton, aged 28, born Canada, at 55 West High Street, Forfar with wife and two children.

Also listed is Flora M Fox, aged 17, born in England, a general servant domestic in the household of David B Esplin at 92 North Street, Forfar.

FreeBMD at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl lists the birth of Flora Mary Fox in the district of Wareham in Dorset in the first quarter of 1865.

information on Catherine Reid as I am having problems finding any accurate details.
Catherine Reid or Hopton (note spelling), aged 63, died in 1885 in Angus but not in Forfar. Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and get her death certificate, which should tell you the names of her parents.

www.deceasedonline.com lists a Joseph Hopeton, buried on 8 October 1891 in Nemonthill Cemetery, Forfar. His death certificate should tell you the names of his parents.

You should have enough credits left over to look for the family in the 1871 census. This might confirm whether or not William Hopton is also a son of Joseph and Catherine.

I gaher that hen in Scotland, the family lived at Hopetoun House.
I would be astonished if that were the case, and the records, so far, don't show this. The family name of Lord Hopetoun, whose ancestors built Hopetoun House and who still owns and lives in it, is Hope, not Hopetoun. Also Joseph was a general labourer, which rather suggests that he was not a member of a wealthy landowning family several counties distant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwicuzzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow - this is absolutely brilliant.  Thanks so much.  I t has given me a few leads and the web address for Scotland will be really  worthwhile checking out.  If you can come across any more info, I would love to see it.  Still working my way around this site so forgive me if this seems a little bitsy!
Thanks once again
Deb

Offline kiwicuzzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Me aain - I am still searching various sites and keep coming up against brick walls.  Need some help finding some info on my Great Gandmtoehrs younger sister, Elgah.  She was born in 1889 and I am trying to find when she married and to who and where.  I assume she marreid between 1907 and 1911.  They lived in Forfar before later moving to Birmigham.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Deb

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb

From the link that Forfarian gave you for FreeBmd, Eglah's marriage shows in the 4th Qrt 1914 in Birmingham to a Charles W Shoebottom (now there is a fine name!).  If you check on the site, it will give you specific references for the entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwicuzzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hey - thanks so much for that.  Can stop pulling my hair out and wont go bald after all!!  Shoebottom??   You mean I have rellies with a name like that????  Must be one very colourful dude!!  If you come up with any more info, would love to hear from you.  Thanks so much once again - you are the greatest!
Deb ;)