Author Topic: O'Donnell family search  (Read 9983 times)

Offline BJOD29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Donnell family search
« on: Wednesday 20 January 10 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information possible on my grandfather, Bernard Patrick O'Donnell, who was born in Waterford in 1873 or 74, he emigrated to New York in the US in 1900.  His siblings names were Marie, Kathleen, Christina, William, Hennretta, Michael, Francis, and Edward.  The last three brothers I believe remained in Ireland.  Their mother's maiden name was Kent.  An address I have from an old copy book has the address 9 High street, Carrick-on-Suir.  Another relative who may have been a cousin was Walter O'Donnell who emigrated to the US around 1880.
Any info or advice for locating information on the family would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell family search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Could this be his birth (or else an older sibling with the same Christian name who died young)?
Bernard ODonnell born 20 Sept.1868 Ireland- parents Bryan O'Donnell & Mary Joseph Kent

Other children of this couple-
1. Edward Vincent born 1 May 1866 Carrick on Suir district, Tipperary (pge 625 in civil register)
2. John Joseph born 19 Aug.1867 Co. Waterford
3. Maurice born 14 Dec.1869 Co.Tipperary
4. Mary Bridget born 7 Feb.1871 Co.Tipperary
5. William Joseph born 11 Aug.1872 Ireland
6. Kathaleen born 24 June 1874 Ireland
7. Christine Mary born 19 May 1875 Ireland
See IGI (www.familysearch.org)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
...Their mother's maiden name was Kent.  An address I have from an old copy book has the address 9 High street, Carrick-on-Suir. ....

The town of Carrick-on-Suir is just over the county border in Tipperary, and there are Kent and O'Donnell families living there on the 1911 census ....including :
  Kent - 17 Bridge Street
  O Donnell - 6 Bridge Street

I dont see a High street listed in the town at that time...

you could try searching the 1911 census for any signs of Michael, Francis, and Edward - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/  The 1901 data is due to be added this year.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BJOD29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:30 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey and shanew147 Thank you very much for the info.  much of it matches the limited info I do have from my late father.  A funeral bill I have for Christina M. from 1975 listed her parents as Bryan O'Donnell and Mary Jane Kent , and her DOB is listed as May 18, 1875, seems close enough to be a match.  Bernard was reportedly born March 17, but I've been told that often times immigrants coming into NY would give that particular date or July 4 as a date of birth.  His YOB was based on reported age from US census data.  Coincidentally he did pass away on St. Patrick's day in 1926.  Some of the other names, Maurice and Mary appear in an old copy book that belonged to Mary a.k.a Marie O'Donnell from Gumley House, a convent school in England and dated from 1887.  thanks also for the info re. Carrick-on-Suir, never having been to Ireland the detailed geography is all new.  I'm also very new to genealogy research and find the internet search to be rather overwhelming which makes me appreciate the help very much.  Where should I go from here to pursue further info?  Brian

"We can't repay kindness, we can only return in kind somewhere else in life."  Anne Morrow Lindberg

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 January 10 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Probably the next step would be to follow up with Civil records. These started in 1864. You can search in index to these on the Irish Civil Index at familysearch

these are Edward index details from the index :

Name: Edward Vincent O Donnell
 Registration district: Carrick-on-Suir
 Record type: Birth
 year: 1866
 Volume: 9 / Page: 625

You can order a research cert from the GRO using these details - see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm  The page number corresponds with the page number on the IGI record that aghadowey gave earlier. Note that the registration district of Carrick on Suir include parts of both counties Waterford and Tipperary.

There's a possible record of the parents marriage - just after civil registration started :

Name: Mary Kent
 Registration district: Carrick On Suir
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1865
 Volume: 4 / Page: 776

Name: Bryan O'Donnell
 [same index details]

If that proves to be the correct marriage record it will include details on their residences at the time of marriage, possibly their ages (these are often entered as just 'full' ), plus fathers names and occupation etc

for earlier records you will need to research church records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BJOD29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 January 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Shane, Thank you again.  I clicked on the Irish Civil Index link on your post and it took me to pilot.familysearch.org.  There I got essentially the same info along with birth certificate info on Bernard O'Donnell, my grandfather ( film#101045, page 636, digital GS number 4187285, image number 00329 ) Are  those numbers the official government reference to the copy of the original document in the Irish government system?  Is there any way to access the information on line for free, or do you have to order it thru the government?  I live in the US,  in Massachusetts, payment could be a challenge.  Thank you.  Brian

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
.... info on Bernard O'Donnell, my grandfather ( film#101045, page 636, digital GS number 4187285, image number 00329 ) Are  those numbers the official government reference to the copy of the original document in the Irish government system?  Is there any way to access the information on line for free, or do you have to order it thru the government?  I live in the US,  in Massachusetts, payment could be a challenge.  Thank you.  Brian

to order a cert from the GRO (see link above) use the references mentioned above : Name, Registration district, Record type, year/quarter,  Volume and page. Earlier records do not require a quarter ... but if it's mentioned on the index you should include it the order. 

The other references (e.g. film, image no, gs no etc) are LDS internal details and should not be included on a GRO order.

there's no facility for viewing certs on line

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)
Carrick-on-Suir Family roots 1901; (taken from 1901 census, but with les detail)

Bridge st (21)
Kent Edmond & Catherine; Patrick.

Castle st (16) (Wadding Charity house)
O Shea;( O Donnell John.)

Chapel lane (17)
O Donnell Anne;

Fair Green (32) Presentation Convent
O Donnell Ellen
O Donnell Mary (Nuns)
(33)
Burke Charitable Institution;
O Donnell Cornelius.

Greystone st (1) Sisters of Mercy
O Donnell Annie.
(16)
O Donnell Ellen, Mary, James, Eliza, Patrick (Lodging house)

Killonerry;
O Donnell William & Mary; Kate, Helena, John, Margaret.

Lough st (58)
O Donnell James, Michael, James, Mary. (cooper)

Main st (7)
O Donnell John & Ellen; Bridget, James, Mary, John (cooper)
(37)
O Donnell Valentine
(59)
O Donnell John & Ellen; John. (grocer)

Tibberaghny;
Joy; (O Donnell Catherine.)

Offline Kimmytantonmohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 August 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, the O'Donnells at Greystone Street Lodging house are my relatives, if I can be of any help. However, I am a novice at all of this!