Author Topic: Activating Family Tree maker 2010 6 month membership.. help  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Activating Family Tree maker 2010 6 month membership.. help
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hey Guys,

Has anyone bought Family Tree Maker 2010.

I have previously bought both FTM 2008 and 2009 ( this was through tesco vouchers) and in both boxes came a sheet with a number on to activate the 6 months free essential membership. Which was a really easy process. No card details required.

THe 2010 version doesnt seem to have come with any code? and without sounding silly, i wondered how i go about getting my free 6 months essentials membership as stated on the box.

edit: Just to clarify, i dont update the program every year. I only get this to get my free 6 months membership.

THanks in advance,
Hodgkiss
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
  • RIP Horace Chambers ~ 14.12.1916-12.06.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Activating Family Tree maker 2010 6 month membership.. help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Mine came with a code on a separate piece of paper in the box - might be worth a phone call to Ancestry?

0800 404 9723 (free phone). Our available hours are Monday through Friday from 09:00 GMT to 19:00 GMT, and Saturday from 09:00 GMT to 17:00 GMT; we are closed on Sundays.
WRY - Chambers, Burgin, Green, Bradley, Jefferson, Bates, Widdowson, Vickers; DUR - Brennan; LKS - Conway, McGunnigal; KEN - Harrison; GLA - Thomas, Jones; STI - Conway; SSX - Coleman, Freeman, Jefferson; NTT - Jefferson, Chambers; DBY - Chambers, Smith; NBL - Harrison; TIP - Conway

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  It came brand new from the software makers. And was completly sealed. And im not going mad there definatly isnt a sheet inside of there with a code on lol

i will give them a call tommorow though.

Its strange how the 2010 version requires you to use your card details when the 2008/9 versions only needed the code.

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I recently ordered the 2010 World Edition, and when I installed the program, it gave me the option to activate the Ancestry membership.

If yours didn't, then when Family Tree Maker is running, look at the menu along the top of the page, click on help. One of the drop down options should be "Activate Ancestry Subscription".

It is a pain having to input credit card details, I can't see a way around that, but I've got a large note next to my monitor saying when the membership is due to expire. Just remmeber to cancel a couple of days in advance!
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I recently bought Family Tree maker 2010 deluxe Australian Edition. No code or anything to put in it just went through, but because I already have a membership the 3 months has to be handled manually with a free phone call. It was no problem.
It seems that the UK edition may work differently.
Also give Ancestry a call with all the details I am sure they will help you.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Family Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like your box is missing that crucial piece of paper - you can email their support if you don't fancy calling on the phone.

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Ahaqq - thanks for the advice. I had an email from Ancestry informing me its all built into the program and there is now no need for a Code. Just my card details. ( which i dont mind, as they already have them ) :)

Family tree maker.. do you actually work for the ancestry/family tree maker??

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
If you activate the free membershipfor x months, am I correct in thinking that to search for people you have to upload all your own family tree?

charlotte

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 10 14:11 GMT (UK) »
If you activate the free membershipfor x months, am I correct in thinking that to search for people you have to upload all your own family tree?

charlotte

You don't have to upload anything to Ancestry. Family tree Maker will automatically search the Ancestry databases whilst you are online and notify you in FTM. (I learnt this from another RootsChat thread!).

In FTM go to Tools > Options and make sure that "Search online automatically when connected to the internet" is ticked. If there are any match, a small green leaf appears next to the person's name in your tree.

It has the additional advantages that if you merge the person in your tree with the records in Ancestry, then it automatically fills in thesource details for them, as well as downloading the image to your hard drive. This is a distinct advantage over the online tree, because should you cancel your membership, you'll still have the copies of the documentation. You lose these if you are working with the online tree.

As a matter of fact, I haven't updated my online tree since I found this gem out.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"