Author Topic: James and Mary Ann GREGORY emigration to Tasmania mystery  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
James and Mary Ann GREGORY emigration to Tasmania mystery
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the emigration of James and Mary Ann Gregory? James was born circa 1830 in Wheatenhurst/Whitminster Glouc. And he gives his occupation on the 1851 census in Camberwell, Surrey as a carpenter. He married Mary Ann Wassell in Camberwell in June 1853.

I have his obituary from 4 Jan 1904 in the Hobart Mercury which mentions that he and his wife and child set sail from Liverpool on the Ocean Chief arriving in the Derwent  (Tasmania) 25 March 1855.

Another kind person responded to another post on the immigrants and emigrants board and made the following suggestion    The arrivals on the Ocean Chief have been indexed up to surnames starting with the letter K and the Gregory's do not appear.  There is also mention in the birth indexes of their children that they arrived on the James Baines.  The only problem is that the James Baines did not make it's maiden voyage to Australia until 1855, arriving in Melbourne on 12 Feb - it did not go to Tasmania, and they do not appear on that passenger list either.  The confusion may be because the Ocean Chief was owned by James Baines and Co'

Can anyone shed any light on James, Mary Ann and their son James' travel plans to Tasmania

Regards
Dee :-\
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James and Mary Ann GREGORY emigration to Tasmania mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »

The obituary in the Mercury on his death in 1904 gives a source as the article written for the Gregory's wedding anniversary the year earlier, July 1903. It would be information that James and Mary Ann would have seen printed in the paper, and no doubt contributed to. So it would be more accurate than the other birth information. Very little information on Tasmanian birth certificates, and ship of arrival of parents is not recorded. It is not included in indexes.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 21:41 GMT (UK) »

No record of Gregory family among the numerous arrivals on the Ocean Chief in 1855. But  do a searCh at
   http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8    and the James Gregory b. in 1830, arrived on J"AMES BAINES" 1854.

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe  :),

Thanks for your response, It doesn't look likely that I'll be able to find out much more than appeared in the anniversary article.

With everyone's help on Rootschat, I have found plenty of information on James Gregory and his family that I didn't have. So I have plenty to keep me busy.

Many thanks for you input, it's very much appreciated  :)

Regards

Dee
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline cabert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 16 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee, James Gregory who came from Whitminster is my Grear great Grand father. I live in Australia. I can give you plenty of information. He was a very successful builder. If you google James Gregory Hobart, you can find out quite a lot of information. Let me know if I can help further. His son Alfred married Lucy Ellis and they had 3 children. Their youngest daughter, Winefred was my maternal grandmother. Christine

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
They (per Ocean Chief) are on the list of immigrants available here

http://stors.tas.gov.au/CB7-17-1-1 pages 20-21

from this page

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?detail=1&type=S&id=CB7/17

M :)

Adding: Original here

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CB7-12-1-3 (Book 7 pages 272-273)