Author Topic: William Greer m Mary Ann Buchanan  (Read 10080 times)

Offline CED

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Greer m Mary Ann Buchanan
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I am interested in where William and Mary Ann got married. I am led to believe they married in St Johns C of I church Sligo in 1840. There is also a chance they married in Ballina Co Mayo as William farmed in leaffoney, Kilglass, Co Sligo which is near the Mayo/Sligo border. I am interested in who may have been witness at the wedding as William is my GGGGrandfather and I am trying to find out who his father is.

Looking forward to any Leeds
      CED

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Greer m Mary Ann Buchanan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
William and Mary Ann (nee Buchanan) Greer are my great grandparents and they lived at Leaffoney near Kilglass.  The information I have is that William's father was called James Greer.  How are you descended from William and Mary Ann Greer - which of their 11 children?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Ray

Offline CED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray met you in my parents house last summer. for some reason I was looking for definite proof that James was the father of William.

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 10 02:16 BST (UK) »
I suspected that, your name was a giveaway.  For a moment I thought I had connected with a new branch of the family.  Ray

Offline Rosemary2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
William Grier and Mary Ann Buchanan are my GGG Grandparents.  I am descended from their daughter Mary Jane, who emigrated to Australia before 1872 (she was born in 1851), I am taking the spelling of Grier from Mary Jane's marriage certificate, where she spells and signs her name 'Grier', although I have seen other documents with 'Greer'. Judging by her signature, she was educated, as it is accomplished penmanship for the time.
I am hoping to track down William and Mary Ann's marriage certificate, but so far no luck.  I am happy to share any documents with you.
Regards,
Rosemary

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,
Mary Jane Grier married George Faux on 18 Nov 1872 at Ballarat and they had 11 children.  Which one are you descended from?  I have a lot of information about her family from Maureen Lewis, who is descended from son William Greer Faux, which I can send on to you.  You have hit gold!! My g father Acheson Greer (1860 - 1927) is Mary Jane's younger brother.

Regards,
Ray

Offline Rosemary2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I am descended from Amelia Faux (1873-1948), who married Frederick Brown.  I have quite a few certificates and some information on the line, but I can't find any record of Mary Jane entering Australia or anything prior (other than her father's and mother's names). Where are you loacted?  I am in Perth, which is where Amelia eventually settled.
Cheers,
Rosemary

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Amelia is the first born of Mary-Jane.  I live in Auckland NZ.  I can tell you a lot about the Greer family.  I think Mary-Jane came to Australia from Co Sligo, Ireland around 1870 and settled at Horsham, Victoria.  Her older sister Alicia was already in Victoria. Ray

Offline starky0209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray/Rosemary
Great to find this post as I am going to Ireland and was hoping to look up where the Irish connection originated.
William Greer and Mary Ann Buchanan are my GGG grandparents.  Their daughter Matilda Sophia Greer is my gg grandmother.  She married William John Fielder in Camperdown, Victoria in 1876.
They had 2 children Ethel and Annie.
Ethel was my grandmother on my mother's side and they lived for the most part in Shepparton, Victoria.  I would welcome any further information on the family as I never met my grandmother as she died quite young and I did not get to do any family search with my mother before she died. I have never met anyone from that side of the family.

regards Di