Author Topic: LARTER family search  (Read 8783 times)

Offline lighthouse1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LARTER family search
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 05:27 BST (UK) »
Edward Larter was born in Walsberwick, Suffolk in 1771 to John and Lorina Larter.  Below are the baptisms listed for them.
John   Larter   bapt   13   11   1768   
Edward Larter   bapt   20   01   1771   
Robert Larter   bapt   22   10   1775      
Lorina Larter   bapt   28   05   1772   

John and Lorina moved to Witton, Norfolk and she died there in 1811 and he in 1812  (his name is incorrectly listed as Edward in the parish register).  He and Lorina have a tombstone in the churchyard. Edward Larter d. 1831 and Frances Howlett d. 1828 are buried in the protestant dissenters graveyard in Bacton.  Their son Richard is buried next to his grandparents John and Lorina. Hope this helps.

Kristie could you clear some items in your posting
1/have you got confirmation of the mother as Lorina as I have got Louisa
2/can you advise that the Edward that died 1831 is her son
3/how is Frances Howlett d 1828 related
4/ who are the parents of Richard buried next to grandparents

Thanking for your reply

Regards Colin
Larter, Stirling, Zingelmann, Redford, Rafter, Mieland, McGregor, Osborne, Fitzpatrick, Peper, Mieland, Hardrath, Jenkins and Martin
Meredith, Sheehy, Torrance, Mills, Kelly, Howden, Chesterfield, Reynolds and Pickup

Offline Kristie Cornett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Colin,
I will do my best to be thorough and I hope it makes sense.   I will start by saying that I'm sure "Louisa" was an early transcription error by someone who couldn't read Lorina.  Family Search has a transcribed record for a Lorina Norman who was baptized on Feb. 21, 1738 in Westhall, Suffolk to a Thomas Norman and his wife Lorina. 
On the Larter Family website, there are transcriptions of Suffolk Baptism's.  There are four children listed as being the children of John and Lorina Larter.  They were all baptized in Walberswick and they were:
John Larter, who was baptized Nov. 13, 1768
Edward Larter, who was baptized Jan 20, 1771
Lorina Larter, who was baptized May 28, 1772 and was buried June 10, 1772
Robert Larter, who was baptized Oct 22, 1775
This same transcription site has a Sarah Larter, baptized on Oct. 25, 1767 to Edward and Sarah Larter but there is a burial record for the infant Sarah Larter on Nov. 22, 1767 which is attributed to John and Lorina Larter, so I'm unsure of her parentage.
**The family moved to Witton, near North Walsham but I don't know when because I have not found a settlement certificate for them.
**On Dec. 24th 1793 at Bacton, Norfolk, Edward Larter of Witton married Frances Howlett of Bacton. I have 12 children listed for them, all baptized in either Witton or Bacton, one who was named after her grandmother Lorina born 1795, she married an Aaron Sewell.  Another named Richard Larter born 1802, who is buried in the churchyard beside his grandparents (John and Lorina).
**Robert Larter born 1775 married Ann Cornish on Feb. 26, 1802 at Knapton, Norfolk. His parish was listed as Bacton and hers as Knapton.  They had five children, all either baptized in Witton or neighboring Swafield. One of these children was named Lorina after her grandmother.  This Lorina married Thomas Spice and is buried in the North Walsham Churchyard next to her mother Ann Cornish.  Robert Larter died between 1811 and 1813.  I have been unable to find the record but his "widow" married Richard Pilgrim in North Walsham on May 2, 1813 and his last child was baptized in 1811 Swafield.
Now to get to John and Lorina.  These records are transcribed from the Witton Parish Register.  Lorina Larter, was buried St. Margaret on September 24, 1811 age 73.  On the same page is listed (in error) Edward Larter, who was buried January 17, 1812.  In the Monumental Inscriptions of St. Margaret, Witton the listings are as follows: To the Memory of John Larter, who died January 31st 1812, aged 77 years. Also of Lorina, his wife, 1811, aged 76 years this September 20th. Prospect by the Father in who's service they were for many years, Distinguished for their honesty and fidelity.
**Next to them is Richard Larter son of Edward and Frances (Howlett) Larter. In Memory of Richard Larter, who died Sept. 8, 1856 aged 53 years. Also of Mary Ann, his wife, who died Jan 2, 1875 aged 72 years. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.
**Here are the burial records I have found for Edward Larter and Frances Howlett. 
Frances Larter aged 61 of the Parish of Witton in the County of Norfolk was buried in the Protestant Dissenters burying ground in Bacton in the County of Norfolk on the 11th day of April 1828. This is probably the Bacton Baptist Chapel, which was founded in 1822 and is located between Bacton and Happisburgh.
***On October 15, 1829 in Happisburgh, Edward Larter of Witton, widower married Mrs Mary Durrant of Happisburgh.  This is a little over a year after the death of Frances Howlett.
***Edward Larter was buried on Dec. 6, 1831 at age 60.  His burial record is listed in Happisburgh (next to Bacton).  It just say's burials of Happisburgh and does not list a churchyard. 
On another note, at least three of Edward and Frances (Howlett) Larter's children married in Happisburgh between 1828 and 1834.  This puts Edward in the area.  His daughter Mary, married George Burton in 1828.  His daughter Lydia married John Knowles in 1830 and his son Robert married Mary Clipperton in 1834.
Hope that's a little more helpful :-)

Offline lighthouse1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 03:13 BST (UK) »
Colin,
I will do my best to be thorough and I hope it makes sense.   I will start by saying that I'm sure "Louisa" was an early transcription error by someone who couldn't read Lorina.  Family Search has a transcribed record for a Lorina Norman who was baptized on Feb. 21, 1738 in Westhall, Suffolk to a Thomas Norman and his wife Lorina. 
On the Larter Family website, there are transcriptions of Suffolk Baptism's.  There are four children listed as being the children of John and Lorina Larter.  They were all baptized in Walberswick and they were:
John Larter, who was baptized Nov. 13, 1768
Edward Larter, who was baptized Jan 20, 1771
Lorina Larter, who was baptized May 28, 1772 and was buried June 10, 1772
Robert Larter, who was baptized Oct 22, 1775
This same transcription site has a Sarah Larter, baptized on Oct. 25, 1767 to Edward and Sarah Larter but there is a burial record for the infant Sarah Larter on Nov. 22, 1767 which is attributed to John and Lorina Larter, so I'm unsure of her parentage.
**The family moved to Witton, near North Walsham but I don't know when because I have not found a settlement certificate for them.
**On Dec. 24th 1793 at Bacton, Norfolk, Edward Larter of Witton married Frances Howlett of Bacton. I have 12 children listed for them, all baptized in either Witton or Bacton, one who was named after her grandmother Lorina born 1795, she married an Aaron Sewell.  Another named Richard Larter born 1802, who is buried in the churchyard beside his grandparents (John and Lorina).
**Robert Larter born 1775 married Ann Cornish on Feb. 26, 1802 at Knapton, Norfolk. His parish was listed as Bacton and hers as Knapton.  They had five children, all either baptized in Witton or neighboring Swafield. One of these children was named Lorina after her grandmother.  This Lorina married Thomas Spice and is buried in the North Walsham Churchyard next to her mother Ann Cornish.  Robert Larter died between 1811 and 1813.  I have been unable to find the record but his "widow" married Richard Pilgrim in North Walsham on May 2, 1813 and his last child was baptized in 1811 Swafield.
Now to get to John and Lorina.  These records are transcribed from the Witton Parish Register.  Lorina Larter, was buried St. Margaret on September 24, 1811 age 73.  On the same page is listed (in error) Edward Larter, who was buried January 17, 1812.  In the Monumental Inscriptions of St. Margaret, Witton the listings are as follows: To the Memory of John Larter, who died January 31st 1812, aged 77 years. Also of Lorina, his wife, 1811, aged 76 years this September 20th. Prospect by the Father in who's service they were for many years, Distinguished for their honesty and fidelity.
**Next to them is Richard Larter son of Edward and Frances (Howlett) Larter. In Memory of Richard Larter, who died Sept. 8, 1856 aged 53 years. Also of Mary Ann, his wife, who died Jan 2, 1875 aged 72 years. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.
**Here are the burial records I have found for Edward Larter and Frances Howlett. 
Frances Larter aged 61 of the Parish of Witton in the County of Norfolk was buried in the Protestant Dissenters burying ground in Bacton in the County of Norfolk on the 11th day of April 1828. This is probably the Bacton Baptist Chapel, which was founded in 1822 and is located between Bacton and Happisburgh.
***On October 15, 1829 in Happisburgh, Edward Larter of Witton, widower married Mrs Mary Durrant of Happisburgh.  This is a little over a year after the death of Frances Howlett.
***Edward Larter was buried on Dec. 6, 1831 at age 60.  His burial record is listed in Happisburgh (next to Bacton).  It just say's burials of Happisburgh and does not list a churchyard. 
On another note, at least three of Edward and Frances (Howlett) Larter's children married in Happisburgh between 1828 and 1834.  This puts Edward in the area.  His daughter Mary, married George Burton in 1828.  His daughter Lydia married John Knowles in 1830 and his son Robert married Mary Clipperton in 1834.
Hope that's a little more helpful :-)

Kristie, thanks for the details.
Also John Larter married to Lorina Norman,do you have his parents details.
All that I have is his father Edward and mother Finis no surname with 5 children.
And can you go back any further than that ??

Regards Colin Larter
Larter, Stirling, Zingelmann, Redford, Rafter, Mieland, McGregor, Osborne, Fitzpatrick, Peper, Mieland, Hardrath, Jenkins and Martin
Meredith, Sheehy, Torrance, Mills, Kelly, Howden, Chesterfield, Reynolds and Pickup

Offline Kristie Cornett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 15 02:13 BST (UK) »
Colin,
I don't have much on the family in Suffolk yet, working as we speak.  I did find another son though.  John Larter born 1768  (s/o John and Lorina).  He moved a little north of Witton to Mundesley.  He married the daughter of the local miller.  Her name was Elizabeth Howard.  He also became a miller.  He and Elizabeth are buried in the churchyard in Mundesley next to her parents Samuel and Mary Howard.  He died on Nov 22, 1842 aged 74.  She died June 24 1848 aged 82 (bapt 1765). His obituary in the local paper say's he was a miller at Mundesley for many years.  His nephew William Larter (s/o Robert Larter and Ann Cormish) moved to Mundesley after the death of his father and learned the trade from his uncle.  William Larter born 1805 Swafield is listed as "miller" in 1834.  William Larter is buried near his uncle John in the churchyard.  I couldn't find any children born to John Larter and Elizabeth Howard. 
Kristie

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I know this topic is rather old, and the participants haven't been active for a while, but I thought it was worth a shot at reopening this.

It seems as if my 5 x gt grandmother, Susanna Grimshaw, may have had at least one illegitimate child with Edward Larter (b. c 1771) - Edward Grimshaw or Larter b. Feb 1793, Paston, Norfolk.

Offline lighthouse1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I know this topic is rather old, and the participants haven't been active for a while, but I thought it was worth a shot at reopening this.

It seems as if my 5 x gt grandmother, Susanna Grimshaw, may have had at least one illegitimate child with Edward Larter (b. c 1771) - Edward Grimshaw or Larter b. Feb 1793, Paston, Norfolk.
Yes his used name was Larter. Born 24.2.1793, married Ann 1817, had 12 children and died bef 13.2.1858 Norfolk England.
How are you directly related to this line.Where are you in the World. Have we made contact before.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 January 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying; I'll send you a PM  :)