Author Topic: Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee, Kerry  (Read 7379 times)

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee, Kerry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 10 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tierneylass - thank you for your very kind offer!   I would dearly like to find a baptismal record for Elizabeth Bateman, daughter of John Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee and Frances (Crumbe) Bland.   Census records suggest she was born in 1824 but I think it was more likely in 1825, as her parents were married on 25 Sept. 1824.   There is a record of her brother Rowland Bateman's baptism on 2 June 1826 in Tralee Parish, Church of Ireland but I've found nothing for her.   
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name=rowland+bateman&location=&dd=&mm=&yy=1826&submit=Search

I must admit that I'm not familiar with Tralee parish so I don't know where the records might be or in which church other than it was Ch. of Ireland.   However the parents lived at Oak Park, Tralee which I understand is in Killeen area.   If you or anyone you know could look in the parish records for a baptism record for Elizabeth that would be wonderful; however that may very well be a bigger task than I realize and if so I totally understand.   Any help at all would be wonderful!!     Tom
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Collis Sandes House still stands ..today it is a Hostel...but according to this website it was built after this time? http://www.jstor.org/pss/20492996
found this website ...they might be able to help...
http://www.kerryhistory.ie/index.htm

I can ask in the library next time i am in if u like?

it looks interesting might even join myself!! I Love history. I am frustrated as I lived in Manchester till i was 20 and now i am doing my tree all the addresses of my ancestors are right on the doorstep to where i used to live and I am so far away now!!
Arggghhhh
DUTTON/Hulme
TIERNEY /Liverpool and Hulme
MARGERISON/MARGERSON/Glossop
WADDELL/Liverpool and Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST
CARNEY/Liverpool and Manchester
ELLA/Yorkshire and Manchester

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 10 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!    John Bateman sold the family estate at Oak Park sometime after 1831 (according to one source William Bateman, John's brother, was resident at Oak Park in 1831) and I presume Collis Sandes bought it from Bateman, but I'm not certain of the exact chronology or details.   I would be very interested in finding out the details if the library has any additional information.    Thank you for the links, although I've been through them before but they don't have the information I'm looking for.

Tracing your roots and family history is both fascinating and fun!   I can easily spend a few hours browsing sources for information!

Tom
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Its Me again

I have just had a quick conversation with a gentleman from Historical society he is quite knowledgable just from  talking for 5 mins!! He says there is a lecture in the library next month that will probably mention the Batemans...what he did tell me straight away is that the Church of Ireland is in Ashe st Tralee and is still there so i will be able to go down and ask to see baptism records during the week I am sure. Meanwhile I will see what other information i can find out...he tells me there is a book in the library in  the local history section? Maybe you would be able to visit Tralee in the future and visit the places they lived? At least they should be easy to trace as they seem to be Important landowners:) Not like my lot i think they were all servants and criminals rofl!!

I will keep you posted
r
DUTTON/Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

me again. saw this earlier post from a further back page thought it might be of interest if you have not allready seen it?

Bateman Papers 1648-1848 - Link
« on: Sunday 17 August 08 20:19 UTC (UK) »   

~~~~~~~~
The National Archives of Ireland hold the Bateman Papers which relate to property in Co Kerry, 1648-1848. http://homepage.eircom.net/%257Eseanjmurphy/nai/private.htm
DUTTON/Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 06:52 GMT (UK) »
You are a dear!!   I had not seen that listing for the Bateman papers before, what a find!   Thank you!   Tom