Author Topic: CRAWFORD Argyllshire 1830  (Read 10859 times)

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRAWFORD Argyllshire 1830
« on: Saturday 23 January 10 04:55 GMT (UK) »
My name is Grant Crawford, from Clare in South Australia.

For years I have been trying to track down my ancestry.
My great-great granfather immigrated from Scotland via Liverppol in 1839.
He came to Australia on the Lady Lilford,embarkation # 2883
As far as I can determine, he had a younger brother called Archibald, who
lived at 48 church st Dumbarton in 1913.

His parents may have been Alexander and Grace, as names
of Crawfords her in Aust, seem to indicate this.

I would appreciate any help from people more aquainted with searching.

Grant Crawford

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CRAWFORD Argyllshire 1830
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grant

Welcome to RootsChat.

I've moved this to the Argyll board where someone may be able to give you better help, although you mention Dumbarton, which is a different county.   What is  your evidence that he came from Argyll and how old was he when he emigrated? Can you clarify the years - a younger brother in 1913 doesn't square with emigration in 1839.  ;)

Most important of all though, can you give us your great-great-grandfather's name, please? 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grant

Just to help with this new push on searches, I am putting the links up to the previous posts you have on Neil Crawford:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,180423.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,180422.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,401438.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,432454.0.html

Did you follow up on the suggestion of trying to find his marriage and death certificates to see what they said regarding his parents?

Do you have a list of his chidlren's births and in order (particularly also the use of any middle names that may have been used) as this can often give further clues if some form of naming pattern was used. You mentioned that the names of Alexander and Grace were followed through down the lines.

What is the source of the information about a potential brother in Dumbarton in 1913? Was in from a letter or something similar?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you got access to Ancestry, Grant? There is a number of very well researched trees for Neil and wife Janet Ann Sleigh, including full lines down for their children and descendants  :)

Also, following down for the potential family of Alexader Crawford and Grace (Grizel) Munro, one of the previous posts included their likely 1841 census entry - everyone showing as born in the county:

Alexander Crawford 50, agr. lab.
Grace Crawford 45
Cathrine Crawford 20
Gregor Crawford 9
Archibald Crawford 7
James Aitken 6 Months

Address: Drumfern, Inveraray and Glenaray, Argyll

Not sure if you have followed through with this family on the later censuses. This looks to be their entry in 1851 with a little bit more detail:

Alexr Crawford 57 labourer, b. Inveraray, Argyleshire
Grissel Crawford 57 b. Kilmichael, Argyleshire
Catharine Crawford 28 b. Inveraray, Argyleshire
Archibald Crawford 17, son, labourer b. Inveraray, Argyleshire
Agilvie Riddich 2, grandson b. Inveraray, Argyleshire

Address: Dalachlochan House, Inverarary

With a potential younger brother Archilbald and jumping forward to 1901, there is this potential entry for this Archibald:

Archibald Crawford 66, Fireman Steam Boiler b. Inveraray
Christian Crawford 80, wife b. Dull, Perthshire

Address: 41 Church Street, Dumbarton

There is also a death showing in 1913 for an Archibald Crawford, aged 80, in Dumbarton. If you can explain the background behind the details you have given, of the address 48 church st Dumbarton in 1913 it might help in connecting the dots! This death certificate would also let you confirm the names of parents for this Archibald Crawford.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Another potential link to Dumbarton. There is a submitted entry on IGI for a marriage of daughter Catherine:

CATHERINE CRAWFORD     
Parents: ALEXANDER CRAWFORD and GRACE MUNRO    
Marriages: JOHN COLQUHOUN on 23 NOV 1857 Dunbarton
Husband Age at Marriage: 24 and Wife Age at Marriage: 29    

The marriage shows on Scotlands People as an actual entry.

This looks to be their census entry in 1871:

John Colquhovn 37, game keeper b. Airdchattan, Argyllshire
Catherine Colquhovn 40 b. Inveraray
Alexander Colquhovn 11 b. Cardross
Janet Colquhovn 13 b. Cardross
Catherine Mc A Colquhovn 1 b. Dumbarton
Catherine Colquhovn 35, visitor b. Airdchattan, Argyllshire

Address: Carman House, Cardross Dumbartonshire

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
These entries look to be banns/marriage for Alexander and Grace:

1. 20 JAN 1816 Glassary, Argyll - Grace showing as GIRSY MUNRO
2. 24 JAN 1816 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll - Grace is down as GRISELL MUNRO

This link gives you some ideas on the the variants on the name Grace www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=grace - quite a few as you can see  :)

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the replies.
Niel Crawford,we think was about 17 when he came to Australia in 1839. He married Janet Sleigh in 1847.
I have his death certificate, he died in 1904.There is no reference to who his parents were.
The children of Niel and Janet in Aust were...Alexander,Mary,James,David,John,William,Grace,Elizabeth,James Gregor,Peter, and Janet.
I have a copy of a letter written by Archibald (dated 06/06/13 ...48 Church Street Dumbarton) which leads me to thinking it may be the Archibald who was born around 1832.

You mention have I access to ancestry...is that familysearch.org ??
If different, how do I access it.
I haven't followed through the 1851 census, thought that the 41 would do.....new at this game, you see

Grant Crawford

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the replies.
Niel Crawford,we think was about 17 when he came to Australia in 1839. He married Janet Sleigh in 1847.
I have his death certificate, he died in 1904.There is no reference to who his parents were.
The children of Niel and Janet in Aust were...Alexander,Mary,James,David,John,William,Grace,Elizabeth,James Gregor,Peter, and Janet.
I have a copy of a letter written by Archibald (dated 06/06/13 ...48 Church Street Dumbarton) which leads me to thinking it may be the Archibald who was born around 1832.

You mention have I access to ancestry...is that familysearch.org ??
If different, how do I access it.
I haven't followed through the 1851 census, thought that the 41 would do.....new at this game, you see

Grant Crawford

Have just re-read your post..where would I access the family tree lines of Niel and Janet Crawford?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grant

It is a pity that South Australian death certificates of that period do not include parents' details. After my last post, I looked at some links on what BMDs for SA include and parents' details on death certs were not included until much later  :-\

I found this, which I am not sure if you have. It provides details of the grave/deaths for Janet and Neil at Koolunga cemetery:

Plot 218: CRAWFORD Janet, 83 y, date of death 13.04.1907/ burial 15.04.1907     
Plot 218: CRAWFORD Neil, 87 y, date of 17.06.1904/ burial 19.06.1904

www.australiancemeteries.com/sa/pt_pirie/koolungadata1.htm

Some additional Crawford burials nearby which I would think would relate to descendants.

Going back to the letter from Archibald Crawford. This may prove to be your key to verificaton of Neil's family  :) Is it clear from the letter dated 6 June 1913, that Archibald was brother to your Neil? This letter was obviously written after the deaths of Neil and Janet. Was Archibald writing to his nephews or nieces?

I have looked at the image of the death certificate of the Archilbald Crawford who died aged 80 in Dumbarton. He died a couple of months after the date of this letter on 3 September. Widower of Christina Carmichael, which ties up with that 1901 census entry we have.

His death was reported by his nephew Ogilvie Reddoch, which links us back to that 1851 census entry we also have with Archibald and his parents.

More importantly, his parents were Alexander Crawford and Grace Munro  :D His address was also given as 48 Church Street as further verification  ;)

In respect of Ancestry, this is a subscription based genenealogy database site www.ancestry.com  As I mentioned, there are two main Crawford family trees that have been submitted by members. One in particular is particularly extensively researched with everything down from Neil and Janet, including full details on all their children (they actually had 13 children with a couple of early deaths).

If I can make a suggestion to you. Would you like me to contact the tree owners on your behalf and pass on to them your personal email so that you can all make contact and exchange details this way? If so, then send me your personal email via the Private Message (PM) service here on RootsChat, as personal emails are not allowed on the open forum to protect people's privacy  :)

Monica