Author Topic: CRAWFORD Argyllshire 1830  (Read 10865 times)

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CRAWFORD Argyllshire 1830
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Monica

Thanks so much for your help. I actually subscribed to Ancestry yesterday and looked at the family trees. In fact I think the ones by mrpearce and lynettecrowell37 are incorrect...as to the parents of Neil (or Niel).

They have Neils parents as Archibald and Isabella galbreath. As far as I can work out, their Neil appears on the 1841 Scotland census whereas the Neil from our family immigrated to Australia in 1839. That would correspond with the household of alexander and Grace in1841, showing Cathrine,Gregor and Archibald...but no Neil.

Also printed out the family group record for neil Crawford (b 1822) from familysearch which shows  Alex and Grace as parents.

The letter from Archibald is to his nephew david, 08/06/1913 from 48 Church street Dumbarton.

Thaankyou so much for your help. Have to work out what I do from here. It would be fantastic to follow up on current family who live in Scotland...but guess that would be nearly impossible.

Kind regards from South Australia

Grant Crawford

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I think the early stuff on the trees in speculative (re Neil's parents). As you saw from people's responses to your earlier posts, there were a couple of alternative parents. Sometimes people 'pencil' details in, which is why anyone looking at trees has to be clear on where and how the information has been verified.

I am really pleased you have now been able to link up the letter from Archibald Crawford and the fact it was written to his nephew David  :)

One possibility on following up on other family in Scotland, again from trees on Ancestry! There is are two other trees for the sister of Neil, Catherine. You have her marriage and a census entry from what we found earlier.

Might also be worth contacting these two tree owners and comparing notes. Although, as always with these things, you might find descendants from Catherine's line have spread around the world!

Death certificates for Alexander and Grace, if they died after the start of official registration in Scotland (1855) will let you work back to their parents as this information is always included on Scottish death certs.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 June 10 02:14 BST (UK) »
Monica

Have finally had time to digest the information and put what I have on Crawford Family Tree on Ancestry.

I however have come to a stop where I cannot find any more information. I am not very proficient in navigating the genealogy sites.

I think that i have established that Niels parents were Alexander Crawford and Grissel Munro, but cannot find anything on alex parentage.

I guess the best links are ,as you suggested through Catherine and john Colquhovn, and archibald . Can you help any further, and perhaps give me directions to the tree for Catherine.

Any help or hints would be very warmly accepted.

Grant Crawford
CLARE
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 June 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant

Have you tried following through the censuses for Alexander and Grace and then to deaths?

I am hoping this is Alexander and Grace in 1861 (which would mean their death certificates should be available to view on Scotlands People as they look to have lived past the start of official registration in 1855):

Alex Crawford 71, agr. lab., b. Kilmichael, Argyleshire
Grace Crawford 68, b. Inveraray
Ogilvie Riddoch 12 grandson b. Inveraray

Address: Dulachlachain, Inveraray

Possible for Grace in 1871:

Girza C Crawford    77, b. Inveraray
Address: Quayhead Close, Inveraray

There is a death showing in 1880 in Inveraray for a Grace Munro/Crawford which might be for your Grace, also a possible one for Alexander in 1866 also in Inveraray. Scottish death certificates should include names of parents - if known to the informant.

Monica  :)

Offline pinehart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 June 10 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Thankyou for the reply. Yes that certainly corresponds with what I have found, Alex and Grace and Grandson Ogilvie Riddock.

A couple of questions
Where do I access the death records of Grace and Alexander?
How do I access or contact the owners of the trees that follow Catharine?

Do I have to commission someone in Scotland to access these records

Kind Regards

Grant

I've tried to navigate through ancestry to find records, but obviously not proficient at it, and appear to get nowhere. Any hints as to where to look, and what sites wouls help immensley

Cheers    rant

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 June 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant

The only source for BMD and census images is the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. They have the original images on line for this period that you are looking at. You can save them on to your computer and then print off as required.

Have a look at these guides here on RC:

Where to start with Scottish Research www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
Optimise Scotlandspeople searches www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Regarding contacting the tree owner for the line of Catherine. I think you said earlier that you have taken out a subscription to Ancestry. If you go to the tree you are interested and click on the tree owner name which shows there, it will take you through to a screen with the option to send a message direct to them.

The information that you are looking at this point is all available on line for you. It gets harder to research back as information gets thinner on the ground or to research into the 20th century as records become less available on line due to reasons of privacy.

Monica

Monica

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Monica..., long-time-no-see !

I must absolutely congratulate you on all that research !  ;)

Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian  :)

Hope you successfully got your new business off the ground and everything up and running well!

Monica

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian  :)

Hope you successfully got your new business off the ground and everything up and running well!

Monica

"Start up" still at the bank stage…, will keep you updated !

PS  You'd be proud of me !   Thanks to you with Grandma's information…, I'm now back to 1750 ! 

Sorry Pinehart !
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT