Author Topic: North Rd wolverhampton - electoral register 1940 help please  (Read 11132 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
North Rd wolverhampton - electoral register 1940 help please
« on: Saturday 23 January 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
hi there, just a quick note wondering if some kind soul possibly have access to the 1940 electoral register for North Road Wolverhampton
i am interested in finding out about more about the occupiers of No 89

any help much appreciated

Offline Gail R

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Rd wolverhampton - electoral register 1940 help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I don't have access to the electoral register for 1940 but think that in 1947 a Dorothy Muriel Holford lived at that address.
This is the name given on my mum's birth certificate as her birth mothers name and address. If you know any more about the family at that address I would love to find out more about them.
Hope this information is some help,
Gail R

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
There were no Electoral Rolls during WW2.  You should be ok for 1947, you could try emailing or phoning Wolverhampton Archives, they will tell you what years they hold there.  HTH from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Lynn Fanthom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
I know these queries were posted 3 years ago but I have only just found them.  If you haven't found the answers already I hope I can help.  Nobody lived at this address (I too have this on my birth certificate) as it was Mrs. Legge's Memorial Home for unmarried mothers.  It was pulled down in 1960 and relocated to Tettenhall Road, Wolverhampton.  It too was pulled down in 1975.  I hope I have been of some help.

Margaret

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 11:31 BST (UK) »
A little more information about Mrs Legge's Memorial Home:  there is an article here which talks of the possibility of a booklet being produced about the home:

www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/News/Letters/Wonderful-reaction-to-Wolverhampton-appeal-19062013.htm

The full name of the home was "The Mrs Legge Memorial Home For Unmarried Mothers Of Previously Good Character" - I know that the girls were very well looked after, as my grandfather, who was butcher in Wolverhampton, used to supply the home with meat, which was never 'cheap cuts'.  My grandmother was invited several times to a sort of Open Day at the Home, and always said how gentle the staff were, and how much they cared for the mothers and babies.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Lynn Fanthom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
I know these queries were posted 3 years ago but I have only just found them.  If you haven't found the answers already I hope I can help.  Nobody lived at this address (I too have this on my birth certificate) as it was Mrs. Legge's Memorial Home for unmarried mothers.  It was pulled down in 1960 and relocated to Tettenhall Road, Wolverhampton.  It too was pulled down in 1975.  I hope I have been of some help.

Margaret

Offline Lynn Fanthom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
does anybody with 89 north road Wolverhampton as their mothers address have an occupation listed.  if so I would like to know as mine stated as egg packer and tester at betton crossing market drayton.

margaret

Offline Lynn Fanthom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 August 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
does anyone have their birth mothers occupation listed on their birth certificate that has 89 north road Wolverhampton as her address only mine has egg packer and tester.
margaret

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:03 BST (UK) »

Margaret
that is really helpful thank you very much.
Does anyone know much about the home...my granny would have only have been 16 when she went to stay there. Did they strongly encourage adoption ? In our case the baby went back to the family to be cared for, and my granny joined the land army..