Author Topic: 1851 census Maloney family  (Read 6729 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
1851 census Maloney family
« on: Saturday 23 January 10 12:25 GMT (UK) »
1851 census Maloney family in Airdrie Scotland, very difficult to read.  Parents are John and Margaret (Margt) Maloney, born in Ireland, daughter Julia (my great grandmother), age ?17 or 14? also born in Ireland.   (parents names verified from Julia's marriage cert.)

Can anyone decipher the names of the 3 other children - I think they are William,  ----, and "Margt" i.e. Margaret.  Cannot decipher "----" at all.

Also the younger children appear to be born in ?? "Deptford, England".  Not at all sure about this, but know there was a Dock area near London called Deptford.  Any comments welcome!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Maloney family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I think the youngest two might be Nancy and Mary?

I agree with William too.

Have you tried finding them in 1861 to see if the writing is any clearer?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
AGree with possibly Nancy and Margaret. According to
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/
Deptford births would be registered in the Greenwich district

Free bmd has these births for Greenwich 1838 - 1844
Maloney
Sep 1842 Maloney John 5 231
Jun 1844 Maloney William 5 237
Moloney
Jun 1840 Catherine 5 215
Sep 1841 Thomas 5 191
Dec 1843 Edmund 5 208
None of whom fit your names!

There is a Diptford in Devon - reg district Newton Abbot but no Moloney/Maloneys there.
The only William Maloney born ca 1842 was in Nottingham and there is a RETFORD near Nottingham.

Josey

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Josey and Carol, - your comments are very helpful.  I am fairly sure that the youngest child is "Margt" = Margaret, as her mothers' name is also written Margt (and we know it is actually Margaret.)

I agree that the other name looks like it starts with an "N", and could very well be Nancy.  Only thing is, that I think they were a typical Irish family - using quite repetitive "Saints" first names, and "Nancy" just doesn't seem to fit in somehow. 

Julia marries in 1855, but it might be a good idea to follow the rest of the family in 1961, to verify names.

Thanks so much Josey for your comments re "Deptford"...  The first letter definitely looks like an ornate "D", so am thinking Retford wouldn't be it... but there being no relevant births in the other two options ???  I looked for William on 1841 census (would have been 1 year old), but not found either.  Am wondering if Deptford was a Dock area - port of arrival for migrants from  Ireland (they came from Cork)?  and they may have stated it as place of birth by mistake? If you know what I  mean.   Lots more to investigate !!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 10 05:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's Nancy and I do think its Stepford, England, but can't find a Stepford.

When the clipping is enlarged it appears to have a dot over the second letter in the name thought to be, Nancy. The dot could be part of a stroke that would make it an M. I think it may be Mary.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 10 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

Thanks for the input.   I am also inclined to think that the second last name is Mary.  Regarding the place in England, - I still tend to think it begins with a "D".  If you look at the top of the list, the first persons occupation is a "Shoemaker" and the "S" looks  distinctly different.  The "D" of "daughter" looks much more like it, and what confuses, is that it has had a / scored through the letter, looks "ticked" off as part of counting.???

This census was from Airdrie, Just outside Glasgow Scotland.  Thanks again.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 10 06:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't find this family on the UK 1841 census. Have you got them on it?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 10 06:29 GMT (UK) »
No Jamjar, I am also struggling to find them on 1841 census.  And yet from the 1851 census, it seems that the son William age 11 was born in England?  Hmm... that is why I am also a bit doubtful about the place of birth of the 3 younger ones....   Investigative challenges galore eh?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 10 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Are they on the '61 Scottish?

Jamjar