Author Topic: Penang Straits, Singapore, India then UK??  (Read 18716 times)

Offline Superhoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penang Straits, Singapore, India then UK??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »

In the newspaper there is a mention of a D. T. O'Keefe, Apothecary.
He might be the same as "David T. O'Keefe" who married "Jemima Martha Edwards" in 1854 in Madras ( http://search.fibis.org )

With the "Derozario" site listing Samuel with Edwards as a middle name, this seems like a possible hit for Samuel's parents.

I think there could have been a typo somewhere along the line. I stumped across a wedding announcement in the paper and it mentions a marriage of a Alfred Joseph O'Keeffe second son of the late surgeon Daniel T O'Keeffe to Priscilla Gawthorne second daughter of the late James Gawthorne. It says Daniel T O'Keeffe was a Captain in the Madras Fusiliers so this must be Samuel's father and it's his brother that is getting married. I wonder what the relationship is between this Gawthorne and the James Gawthorne that Samuel's daughter Gwen was later married to?

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19061126.2.50.1.aspx

Offline Footrot Flats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Came across your quest for information. I'm currently researching the wife's family tree and appears you are related through Nora ,s husband. We can fill in some information. My wife family is from Penang, her father was Donald Campbell the son of J Campbell shown in the newspaper cutting-Johns wife was Catherine Lunberg. The Gawthorne,s were my wife's next door neighbours, the wifes name was Gwen and they had 2 daughters all of who had passed and 2 boys(not sure if the boys are still alive).  We have also done some inquiry on the Lunberg side trying to trace Johannes H Lunberg in Samartra. Sounds like you may have more than me about Samartra. At this time a lot of information is written down and it would be easy communicating by email directly-Have only just joined Roots Chat to communicate with you. A few of the families you talk about still have family in Penang, a lot however moved to Australia and we know some are in Holland. We were speaking to one of the relations about Nora the other day-small world. Get in touch

Offline Footrot Flats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
may have some information for you , my wife may be related through Johannes Huighbret Lunberg and Catherireen

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I think that I can help you with this side of the family. I am the Great Grandson of Dr Samuel O'Keefe. My grandmother is Gwendoline O'Keeffe, the second daughter of Samuel and sister of Nora. They all lived in Penang. Claude O'Keeffe is the last of Samuel's children still alive. I have a photo of them all taken in Penang. How do we correspond with each other on the detail?

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Footrot Flats,

You mention that the Gawthornes were your wife's next door neighbours in Penang.  My grandmother, Gwen Gawthorne (nee O'Keeffe) was living at 23 Greenhall, then 247 Burmah Rd, then finally at 43 Cheeseman Rd. At which address was you wife living. My grandmother had two daughters - Elizabeth and Ruth and two sons, one of whom (Ralph) was my father. They are all now deceased.  My Grandmother Gwen and my parents were living in Burmah Rd during the Japanese occupation. We knew Gerald Lunberg, son of Nora, also in Penang.

Came across your quest for information. I'm currently researching the wife's family tree and appears you are related through Nora ,s husband. We can fill in some information. My wife family is from Penang, her father was Donald Campbell the son of J Campbell shown in the newspaper cutting-Johns wife was Catherine Lunberg. The Gawthorne,s were my wife's next door neighbours, the wifes name was Gwen and they had 2 daughters all of who had passed and 2 boys(not sure if the boys are still alive).  We have also done some inquiry on the Lunberg side trying to trace Johannes H Lunberg in Samartra. Sounds like you may have more than me about Samartra. At this time a lot of information is written down and it would be easy communicating by email directly-Have only just joined Roots Chat to communicate with you. A few of the families you talk about still have family in Penang, a lot however moved to Australia and we know some are in Holland. We were speaking to one of the relations about Nora the other day-small world. Get in touch

Offline Pinang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 04:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Superhoop,

I am new to this site so am not on top of operating the quotes and replies. My posting shown below is addressed to you. I am a Gawthorne, descended from Dr Samuel Arthur Edward O'Keeffe (Sam) and Charlotte Sophie Alberta Westwood (Sophie) through their daughter Gwendoline. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello,

I think that I can help you with this side of the family. I am the Great Grandson of Dr Samuel O'Keefe. My grandmother is Gwendoline O'Keeffe, the second daughter of Samuel and sister of Nora. They all lived in Penang. Claude O'Keeffe is the last of Samuel's children still alive. I have a photo of them all taken in Penang. How do we correspond with each other on the detail?

Offline bessiebumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness!

I stumbled across this message about three days ago and used some of the suggestions to research my family in Penang and Singapore.  But now your family (yes - YOURS) has a link to mine...

My grand uncle Monty Chill was engaged to a Joy Lunberg in Penang - before he dropped dead from a heart attack only a month before their wedding!  Is this the same family as the one whom you speak of in your email?  If so, we might be able to help each other out with some things.  I have only just managed to make a breakthrough with my family - who were Mason and Chill and Burke people, but I've also had word from someone else in recent days who knows about the family's history in India prior to Independence being granted.

It would be great to share info - I have a large family tree on Ancestry that you are welcome to look at for information that might help you.

Best wishes,

Jessie X

Offline Superhoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie

Wow  :o this is more than amazing! Only this morning I was sitting with someone talking about my Nan and I mentioned Monty and his sad demise. I then came home and found an e-mail saying you had replied.

My Nan was Joyce Lunberg (perhaps known as Joy to your family) and she was engaged to Monty. I have a photo of them together somewhere and would be more than happy to share it with you.

Where are you based?

Dave

Offline bessiebumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
How amazing!

So she DID remarry - how happy to learn that.  I hoped so - feel all emotional - I only found out about all this yesterday!

I'd love to have photos - sadly I have none of my family there apart from those of my great grandfather Captain Jack Mason, who was Monty's father's brother in law.

Gosh - what a tale!  The power of the internet!

I'm in Kent - how about you?

X