Author Topic: William Marshall & Sons (Grimsby)  (Read 7694 times)

Offline option911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Marshall & Sons (Grimsby)
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the history of my family, my Great Grandfather a well known Mill owner, and his father and his father etc. amongst them a race horse owner and winner of the Derby, StLedger and Grand Prix de Paris, a member of the clergy, Timber merchant (Marshall,Knott& Barker) and a fisherman or ship owner. I have managed to get back to 1729 although a few results are patchy and one generation is missing around 1860.
I would appreciate any assistance in tracing all of my paternal ancestors. The Name William Marshall comes up repeatedly in each generation as ironically does the name Sarah as his spouse. This happens at least 3 times. Locations for the family are Grimsby, Scartho, Waddingham, Snitterby, Bishop Norton and Cockerington.
All of the remaining Mill assets were transferred to Spillers, possibly on marriage? We have no idea what happened to what must have been a considerable fortune amassed by the company of William Marshall & Sons and its subsidiaries. Anyone with any knowledge of what transpired would be very helpful in filling in a lot of gaps. For 50 years no-one even knew of our past or the links with the Towns largest buildings.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Marshall & Sons (Grimsby)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

have you tried the above site. Did a search for William Marshall sons Grimsby

for starters 8 Oct 1880 gives you some insight into the company.
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
By 18 November 1910 the company were in liquidation according to the London Gazette.

http://www.walthamwindmill.co.uk/Grimsby%20Mill.html

yet this site has an advertisement for the firm dated  up to1928
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline option911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the heads up. I have looked at all of the evening standard site, it is a bit confusing as the family appear to have gone under about 7 times over 20 years. It also transpires that there was another company trading as William Marshall & sons in Grimsby (either watchmakers or Saddlers).
It was information passed to me that the mill changed hands to Spillers following marriage? as yet only hearsay.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.fairsharetrust.org/images/la_uploads/EMW_ISSUE_3.pdf

The above site suggests Marshalls was sold to Spillers in 1909. Have you tried contacting the site? Perhaps they have more info.

Offline andymars

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Saw your posts with interest while searching my family tree (Marshall). William and Sarah comes up constantly in the family. My Grandfather was a William and we are a wheelwright family from Tetney. My G, G, G, Grandfather called Richard had a son called William, brother of my G,G,Grandfather Edmund. Is this a connection? We are said to have a connection with the Marshalls at Gainsborough, the founding engineer was also a William Marshall! By coincidence, my father, Herman Marshall worked at the mill when it was owned by Spillers. Before they moved to Tetney (about 1895) the family lived in Ludford, the church yard there being full of them!
Hope this helps, we must compare notes!

Offline trufflehound

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 October 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
I have just come across a reference to William Robinson Marshall in "Watson's Almanack 1876".  Horace Watson of Laceby who produced the Almanack wrote the following about Laceby:

".... The seat of C Coates, Esq., is a neat edifice, standing in a park-like close a short distance from the road, and, with the
other residences, forms a good entry into the village. Mr Marshall, of Grimsby, has bought about 75 acres of land on the Grimsby-road, on a portion of which he contemplates building a large mansion, facing the said road, and has laid the ground out and made two large fish ponds.   Mr Long, Grimsby, has also bought about 50 acres of land, near Irby, and is now building a large mansion thereon."

On checking various directory entries for Laceby between 1876 and 1900, there is reference to William Robinson Marshall being one of the principal landowners in Laceby.  From 1902, G F Sleight Esq seems to have replaced William R Marshall.  Mr Long, the other purchaser of land mentioned in the Almanack article, was also a Grimsby timber merchant and the mansion he built was "The Oaklands".  The ponds that William Marshall made can be seen on the 1911 Land Values map of Laceby and are still visible today by Laceby Beck.   Stud Farm and Stud Farm Cottage were also built although I believe that Stud Farm was demolished in the late 1960s due to subsidence.  Stud Farm Cottage still exists.

Offline Anthony Sharp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello - just in case you're still searching. My grandfather was a William Henry Marshall - raised as a child in Scartho Lincolnshire born 1909. Came from a wealthy family - newspapers, private libraries, newsagents. He inherited that business from his father and ran it with his brother - Thomas Marshall in Grimsby. William died in 1976. He had two daughters - Shirley and Lynne.

Offline claudius88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the history of my family, my Great Grandfather a well known Mill owner, and his father and his father etc. amongst them a race horse owner and winner of the Derby, StLedger and Grand Prix de Paris, a member of the clergy, Timber merchant (Marshall,Knott& Barker) and a fisherman or ship owner. I have managed to get back to 1729 although a few results are patchy and one generation is missing around 1860.
I would appreciate any assistance in tracing all of my paternal ancestors. The Name William Marshall comes up repeatedly in each generation as ironically does the name Sarah as his spouse. This happens at least 3 times. Locations for the family are Grimsby, Scartho, Waddingham, Snitterby, Bishop Norton and Cockerington.
All of the remaining Mill assets were transferred to Spillers, possibly on marriage? We have no idea what happened to what must have been a considerable fortune amassed by the company of William Marshall & Sons and its subsidiaries. Anyone with any knowledge of what transpired would be very helpful in filling in a lot of gaps. For 50 years no-one even knew of our past or the links with the Towns largest buildings.