Author Topic: William Marshall & Sons (Grimsby)  (Read 7708 times)

Offline claudius88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Marshall & Sons (Grimsby)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Peter West, born in Grimsby. My mother was a Marshall, her father Harry Marshall. I can tel, you a bit about the family if you’re still interested.
Regards
PW.

Offline RogerP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 04:31 BST (UK) »
My family goes back to William Marshall born 1764 or 65 near Snitterby. He died age 91 in 1856 near Snitterby and is said to have been blind. He was living with his daughter Elizabeth (1808-47) who married Richard Markham (1806-58).  William married Sarah Robinson (1769-1826). They moved around between Waddingham and Grimsby. He seems to have made money buying and selling mills. His son Andrew (1812-81) seems to be the one who took over the mills in Grimsby, and at probate had £15,000. The mills included Haven Mill, Crofts Mill and Victoria Mill in Grimsby.  His son John (1803-89) was a seed merchant and at probate had £400. Andrew's sons  John, Andrew T etc took over the mill etc. His son William R became a wealthy  merchant in timber etc in Grimsby and Scartho - at probate had £40,000.
William Marshall 1764 had a father William (1733-75) his will is available on line. His mother was Sarah Andrews (1733-1809) from Waddingham
Parfitt, Payne, Markham, Panther, Watts, Newby, Horswell, Branscomb

Offline ancestry9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 October 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
I have recently donated a lot of information about Marshalls Mill in Grimsby to the museum service at the Fishing Heritage Centre. My father worked at Marshalls ( later Spillers ) from 1914 until 1964 so 50 years in the same job ! He started as a boy ( with a short break in the army ) and worked his way up to be the transport manager, ending his career at the Hull branch when Spillers in Grimsby closed.
You could contact Louise Bowen at the FHC.
There is a very large monument to one of the Marshall family in Scartho Road cemetery.
Janet Clarke