Author Topic: ANGLO ZULU WAR 11 JAN 1879  (Read 15509 times)

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
Re: ANGLO ZULU WAR 11 JAN 1879
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 November 12 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

I'm distantly related to one of the 2nd Battalion, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment who were on the right of the defensive line.  They were overwhelmed when they went to support the force under Colonel Durnford in the donga.

He was also from Northumberland!

Regards,

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline Julian1952

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 December 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Caroline
Your great-grandfather was one of fifty artillerymen in the camp - not one of the 20 out serving the two guns.  He may have been involved in helping to take ammunition out to the line.  I wonder, could you pm me?  I am about to publish an article on N/5 battery in a collection of Zulu War essays and would love your permission to use your photo in it.

Offline Julian1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 December 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Caroline
Many thanks.  If you pm me your address I'll send you a copy of the book with the N/5 article in when it's published end of Jan/beg of Feb.  I also had a relative killed at Isandhlwana (in the 1/24th)!
Regards
Julian

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  ;D

My very first post, the first of many I imagine. What a great site.

I came across this thread while googling for information regarding a relative of mine who may, or may not, have been involved in the ANGLO ZULU wars in 1879.

I have found official documentation (Ancestry) of him being enlisted in to the Royal Artillery London on the 8th April 1879 with him joining the company at Portsmouth on the 11th April 1879. So I am looking at the possibility he was on his way somewhere. Could he have been shipped to Durban for the final months of this war?

His name was Henry John Hayward and he was 19yrs 11mths old at the time of enlistment (born 1860). I have been able to trace him from birth to the attached piece of information, after that there is nothing. Not even a death notification of any kind. I am guessing he didn't make it back from where ever he went. I would really like to know what happend to him. He was my Great, Great Grandfathers brother and only sibling.

I would be very grateful if someone were able to share any information about ships from Portsmouth, the movements of the Royal Artillery at this time or any further suggestion on how I can follow his trail. 

Thanks very much.

Moderator Comment: Image removed for copyright reasons.

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
WkdWitch,

I would hazard an educated guess and say he did not serve in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

The only Henry Hayward I can find in the Medal Roll was killed at the Battle of Isandlwana, on 22nd January 1879.  He was the Armourer-Sergeant of the 1st Battalion, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment.

The only Royal Artillery man with the surname Hayward, was a Gunner W. H. Hayward, 'N' Battery, 6th Brigade, Royal Artillery.  N/6 left Southampton on 24th February 1879, bound for Durban, arriving on 31st March 1879.

Given the date of his enlistment, I imagine that your relative had just concluded his recruit training just prior to the last major battle of the Anglo-Zulu War, which was fought at Ulundi on 4th July 1879.

The only ship carrying replacements/reinforcements to leave Portsmouth after his enlistment was the Orontes which departed on 1st May 1879 and arrived in Natal, South Africa on 4th June 1879, but there were no artillerymen amongst the drafts.

Sorry,

Regards

John
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your very quick reply (I thought I'd be waiting weeks, you posted you were away in January), it is appreciated, and please don't be sorry.

You have saved me many, many hours of futile research, exasperated hair pulling, late nights I regret in the morning, and a sore site link tapping finger. Sniff. Generally, all to no avail. As it would have been in this case. 

I try to, tentatively, put peices in the puzzle by following the information I have. I find out whats going on around that time, wiegh it all up and guess alot. But it has to be solid, undeniable, before I add it to my tree.

I am very much a novice, but love the chase. So don't worry, I am quite used to coming to dead ends. It's all hit and miss. If you don't look, and keep looking, you can't find.... and the hits are so much fun!!!

One last question to you, if I may?

Looking at the information you can see from the document I posted earlier, and even though it may now be out of your area of expertise. Are you able to suggest the next course of investigation I should take?  Google has been putting up a spirited fight or waving the white flag and claiming ignorance. Either way.....

Wall. Head. Bang. Ouch!

:D

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Can you post a link to the above page. I am having problems finding it on online.

Ken

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I am not quite sure what you mean as you are posting on this page. LoL But here is the link anyway...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=432827.new;topicseen#new

Or was it another page you were referring to. Apologies if I have misunderstood your request.  :-[

Offline fred1951

• RootsChat Senior
  • Jessie
    • View Profile
RHODES  - Dudley, Lye & Kidderminster
PHILLIPS - Dudley
EVANS     - Kidderminster, Worcestershire
ROACH & POUNTNEY  -  Worcestershire
GODDARD (Peter Holland) England
BISHOP   - Shipton Moyne,Tetbury
DAVIS     -  Miserden, Gloucestershire

SEALY/SEALEY - Taunton, Somerset