Author Topic: *COMPLETED THANKS* Ann(e) Lobban died Grange, Banffshire 1849  (Read 14395 times)

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ann(e) Lobban died Grange, Banffshire 1849
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

It was from the Baptism record for Alexander from  the Parish Register of Grange which my cousin got and the place was hard to read but it said:  22nd August 1807 John Morrison in Sholstown? had a child by his wife Margaret Donald.  Baptised and Called Alexander.  Witnesses Alexander Morrison and Alexander Mitchell.  Three years later they were at Balamen? but that could have been misread also and it could mean Balnamoon.  In 1824 they were at Brambleburn.   

Thank you for your help in the search for Anne Lobban.  I don't think that is her as I have been in touch with someone on Genes Reunited whose Anne Lobban was from Glass but she didn't marry an Alexander.  Do you know if Glass is near Grange?  I also found another Anne Lobban on the 1841 Census.  She was 15 at the time so would be about the right age also.  Her parents were James Lobban and Anne Eddie but its just finding the right Anne.   I have looked at Libindx for buriels of Anne Morrison for Grange Cemetary but nothing came up but I am told that if she wasn't from Grange she would have been buried in her home town. 

Karen

Hello again Karen,

This appears to be your Alexander at Bramble Burn in 1841 with his father John.

MORISON       John       age 55 Farmer                    
MORISON       Alexander     age 30                           
MORISON       Margret                               
MORISON       Jane                                 
MORISON       Elspet   

There is another Alexander Morison around the same age living at 'Balamoon' so 2 different families.           

You can view the transcriptions at FREECEN.

Regards,
Nel

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

It was from the Baptism record for Alexander from  the Parish Register of Grange which my cousin got and the place was hard to read but it said:  22nd August 1807 John Morrison in Sholstown? had a child by his wife Margaret Donald.  Baptised and Called Alexander.  Witnesses Alexander Morrison and Alexander Mitchell.  Three years later they were at Balamen? but that could have been misread also and it could mean Balnamoon.  In 1824 they were at Brambleburn.   

Thank you for your help in the search for Anne Lobban.  I don't think that is her as I have been in touch with someone on Genes Reunited whose Anne Lobban was from Glass but she didn't marry an Alexander.  Do you know if Glass is near Grange?  I also found another Anne Lobban on the 1841 Census.  She was 15 at the time so would be about the right age also.  Her parents were James Lobban and Anne Eddie but its just finding the right Anne.   I have looked at Libindx for buriels of Anne Morrison for Grange Cemetary but nothing came up but I am told that if she wasn't from Grange she would have been buried in her home town. 

Karen

Hello again Karen,

This appears to be your Alexander at Bramble Burn in 1841 with his father John.

MORISON       John       age 55 Farmer                    
MORISON       Alexander     age 30                           
MORISON       Margret                               
MORISON       Jane                                 
MORISON       Elspet   

There is another Alexander Morison around the same age living at 'Balamoon' (and varients) till at least 1861 so 2 different families.           

You can view the transcriptions at FREECEN.

Regards,
Nel

If somebody can delete my last 2 posts I'd be very grateful! :-[

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for (almost) duplicate posts.

Something to mull over.....................

1841 census at FREECEN shows 4 Ann Lobbans and 1 Anne Lobban born 1824 + or - 10 years.

A marriage search 1851 + or - 10 years at FamilySearch .org shows 4 Ann Lobbans and 1 Anne Lobban.

Not 100% foolproof but...... 3 of the marriages take place at the same parish where 3 of the Anns were in 1841 -  Cullen(the 15 year old) and Abernethy and Marnoch.
The one born at Knockando is easy to find in later census records.

That leaves the Anne who was born at Glass and the 1848 marriage of an Anne Lobban and Alexander Morrison.

Unfortunately the one born at Cullen (who may have married Alexander Paterson) is proving hard to find in 1851.

Regards,
Nel

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Remember, the 1851 coverage in freecen is not complete yet!
Regards,
flst :)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nel,

As regards Alexander Morrison yes that's him on the 1841 census, he married Anne Lobban in 1848 in Grange, their son James was born in 1849 then Alexander appears on the 1851 census again at Brambleburn and he is 40 and the child is 2 but there is no mention of his wife which is what makes me think she died giving birth to James in 1849 or shortly afterwards.   I have tried everything to find her death record in Grange and elsewhere in Banffshire without any luck. 

I contacted someone on Genes Reunited who had the Anne from Glass on their tree and was told that they thought she had married an Alexander and would check up and get back to me if she had but heard nothing more so I gather it was the wrong Anne.  Shame about the one in Cullen, especially her being difficult to find on the 1851 census,  I was pinning my hopes on her but if she married someone by the name of Alexander Paterson it couldn't be.   

I will try and contact others on Genes Reunited with Anne Lobbans on their trees around the time I think she was born and see what I can find out. 

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Karen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 January 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if Glass is near Grange? 

It depends a bit what you mean by near. Glass is a parish west of Huntly and east of Mortlach, so it's not a huge distance, maybe about 15-20 miles, depending which way you go. Quite near enough to meet a future spouse.

I'm afraid the death of an Alexander Morrison in Grange in 1873 was another Alexander Morrison as I downloaded that from scotlandspeople but it wasn't him.

Who was that Alexander Morrison then?

4 Ann Lobbans and 1 Anne Lobban
I see he is listed as Alexander Morison (with one R) at Bramble Burn in the 1841 census (FreeCen), but in 1851 it's Morrison again.

Don't attempt to draw any conclusions from spelling. It was a very variable feast. A missing 'e' or extra 'r' is of no significance at all.

Alexander's birth record I have been given says " in Sholstown"?

Could it be Scotsto(w)n? That's quite a common place name.

Unfortunately the one born at Cullen (who may have married Alexander Paterson) is proving hard to find in 1851.

The IGI lists two children of Alexander Paterson and Ann Lobban, one born in Cullen on 13 July 1841 and one in 1857 in Seafield. A gap like this always suggests to me that they belonged to the Free Kirk, and did not have their children's baptisms recorded in the Parish Kirk.  In 1851 they were at Bauds in Rathven; Ann was aged 34 and listed as born in Rathven. So birth date 1816/7. Their children were Isabella, aged 9 (the one born in Cullen in 1841) and three more aged 7, 3 and 1. There could have been a child who died young and would have been 5 years old in 1841. I reckon the likelihood is that this is the daughter of William Lobban and Iosbel Donaldson, born in Cullen on 8 January 1817.

There's a listing of an Ann Lobban, born 1819 in Fordyce (listed several times, some with the place name a bit mangled) and marrying William Harper in 1838. All three references to her are submitted to the IGI and therefore to be regarded with suspicion until checked against the original document. The IGI also lists three daughters, all born in Fordyce. In 1851 she is listed at Drums in Fordyce, a widow, aged 52, born in Rathven. I have no idea where the 1819 came from.

I don't see any children listed for John Thomson and Ann Lobban, who were married in Boharm on 25 December 1838, and I can't find them in the 1841 census there.

Nor can I find any children of William Pirie and Ann Lobban, who were married in Marnoch in 1848. Nor can I find them in the 1851 census.

There's a 12-year-old Ann Lobban, Ag Lab, born Aberdeenshire, in a rather curious household headed (apparently) by John Simon, farmer, aged 9 (yes, nine!) at Torrie in Glass in 1841.

So I speculate that either your Ann Lobban is the one born in Glass, or that she is a totally different Ann Lobban whose baptism does not appear in the parish registers.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lsyd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Karen, my hobby is Lobban Genealogy, hope I can help with the following info on Lobban & Morrison, some I'm sure you already have:-
1. OPR Marriage entry of 16 Dec 1848 at Grange of Alexr Morrison & Anne Lobban
2. 1851 census at Brambleburn re Alexr Morrison, Head, Wdr, 42, from Grange (abt 1809)
     son-James Morrison,aged 2 b Grange abt 1849; Sister Isabella(Morrison) McEwan aged 36,   Wid of John McEwan & her son James McEwan aged 10, scholar from Boyndie, Banff. 
   3. 1851 census at other Brambleburn;- Geo Morrison Head Mar 54 Farmer Grange c 1797;
 Wife Elspet Morrison 40 Mortlach abt 1811; plus scholar sons William 11; George 7 & Alexr aged 5, plus daur Isabella aged 2;
   I also have a potential Anne Lobban born 1823, who I believe is the G G G/mother you are looking for, my email address is > * < if you want to make contact direct;
Lsyd(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

One name researcher of all Lobban families for over ten years, if i can help your research, feel free to contact,
lsyd

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Karen

I've just skim read the chain of postings about Alexander Morrison and Anne Lobban.

The location of Alexanders birth is "Mosstown" in 1807, the 'M' is quite elongated and makes it look like an "Sh" and the double "s" has the old style long "f" shape to it.  Its located about half a mile to the south west of Brambleburn and Gledshillock.

I too am descended from the Morrison's of Brambleburn.  Alexander's parents, John Morrison and Margaret Donald are my 4 x gr grandparents. 

I'm descended from their third son, George Morrison (who married Elspet Bain and also lived at Brambleburn).  Their son Alexander had an illegitimate daughter, Mary, in 1869.  She is my gr-grandmother.  These are the George and Elspet listed at item 3. in lsyd's posting.

I have a file of information on the Morrison family - but not sure if I have more information on Anne Lobban or not.  I seem to remember coming to the same conclusion, (that she died in childbirth) about 20 years ago.  Alexander is clearly a widower in the 1851 census.  I'll look through it to see if I have anything more about her.

I have Alexander's death as 13 Sep 1879 at 21 Warwick Street, Glasgow (Gorbals District) .  He is a farmer, and widower of Ann Lobban. James Morrison his son, registers the death.  See Gorbals District deaths 1879 entry 623.

I was born and brought up beside Grange, though now live in London, but return there regularly.  Very happy to share information.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Alan.

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Alan

I am so glad you read my posting.  I've been searching for Alexander's death for a while but couldn't seem to find it so thank you for that.   I have never been to Grange but plan to go in the summer for a visit.  Anything you could tell me on the area would be much appreciated. 

Karen