Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 11834 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte   :)

As an interested party, I'm sure there's a way around it.

Have a look at this message:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,416396.msg2923242.html#msg2923242

Maybe PM Falkyrn if he doesn't see this thread.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte,

What version of Windows 7 are you running, ie. Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.

I have HP and Ultimate and as far as I can see no Classic View. I think it may have gone down the toilet with Vista.

I can tell you for sure that HP doesn't have compatible as I can't play my DVD computer games on the PC, they do work on the notebook, though.

There must be a way of opening your emails, as they would have been transferred to your computer.

Are you in Oz or UK Charlotte?

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for the link :)

Is Falkryn implying that he ran older programs on Win7 Home premium32 bit and when he changed to a 64 bit version[which is what I have ::)] he struck trouble?

As far as  I can see Microsoft doesn't sell an  upgrade from Win7 Home Premium to Professional or Ultimate.

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I'm on Win7HP.

I'm in Oz.

charlotte

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look within my Incredimail program and it has an Import function wihich allows for the copying of email from other programs.

Now, Outlook Express isn't list as I have never used it, so no files were copied when I upgraded.  Your's may show. I'm sure the other email clients mentioned will have the same feature. It would be worth a try.

Alternatively, find a friend who can open your emails on their computer and then copy the emails from there.

As an aside, I copy all important emails to relevent folders within my documents.

I think you may just be in panic mode. I was the same when I went from ME to XP to Vista. It was all too new and I thought I couldn't do it. You will, just give it a week and explore. If your emails are saved, they won't run away and you will be able to access them.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
PM coming, Charlotte.

Jamjar

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte  :)

I've just heard that my Studio 17 has been shipped and I should get it within 4 days!

It has W7 Professional on it so I'm hoping that I won't have too many compatibility problems. I use web-mail and Family Historian so, again, hoping that all will go well.

I'll try the classic desktop though and share any of my probs/solutions with you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
That's excellent news,Gadget  ;D

I should have gone for Win7 Pro... silly me.

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Is Falkryn implying that he ran older programs on Win7 Home premium32 bit and when he changed to a 64 bit version[which is what I have Roll Eyes] he struck trouble?

Many of my older programs - sourced from FH societies have installed and run without any problems on W7 64 bit version - the only program which does cause problems is the viewing program for the 1881 census and BVRi discs - that steadfasly refuses to run in the 64 bit environment.

To install your program using compatibility and administrator functions right click on the set up program before running it - select properties and then campatibility - set the program to install with XP compatibility and run as administrator
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh