Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 15261 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte   :)

As an interested party, I'm sure there's a way around it.

Have a look at this message:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,416396.msg2923242.html#msg2923242

Maybe PM Falkyrn if he doesn't see this thread.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte,

What version of Windows 7 are you running, ie. Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.

I have HP and Ultimate and as far as I can see no Classic View. I think it may have gone down the toilet with Vista.

I can tell you for sure that HP doesn't have compatible as I can't play my DVD computer games on the PC, they do work on the notebook, though.

There must be a way of opening your emails, as they would have been transferred to your computer.

Are you in Oz or UK Charlotte?

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for the link :)

Is Falkryn implying that he ran older programs on Win7 Home premium32 bit and when he changed to a 64 bit version[which is what I have ::)] he struck trouble?

As far as  I can see Microsoft doesn't sell an  upgrade from Win7 Home Premium to Professional or Ultimate.

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I'm on Win7HP.

I'm in Oz.

charlotte

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look within my Incredimail program and it has an Import function wihich allows for the copying of email from other programs.

Now, Outlook Express isn't list as I have never used it, so no files were copied when I upgraded.  Your's may show. I'm sure the other email clients mentioned will have the same feature. It would be worth a try.

Alternatively, find a friend who can open your emails on their computer and then copy the emails from there.

As an aside, I copy all important emails to relevent folders within my documents.

I think you may just be in panic mode. I was the same when I went from ME to XP to Vista. It was all too new and I thought I couldn't do it. You will, just give it a week and explore. If your emails are saved, they won't run away and you will be able to access them.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
PM coming, Charlotte.

Jamjar

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte  :)

I've just heard that my Studio 17 has been shipped and I should get it within 4 days!

It has W7 Professional on it so I'm hoping that I won't have too many compatibility problems. I use web-mail and Family Historian so, again, hoping that all will go well.

I'll try the classic desktop though and share any of my probs/solutions with you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
That's excellent news,Gadget  ;D

I should have gone for Win7 Pro... silly me.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Is Falkryn implying that he ran older programs on Win7 Home premium32 bit and when he changed to a 64 bit version[which is what I have Roll Eyes] he struck trouble?

Many of my older programs - sourced from FH societies have installed and run without any problems on W7 64 bit version - the only program which does cause problems is the viewing program for the 1881 census and BVRi discs - that steadfasly refuses to run in the 64 bit environment.

To install your program using compatibility and administrator functions right click on the set up program before running it - select properties and then campatibility - set the program to install with XP compatibility and run as administrator