Author Topic: 2011 Census: £1,000 fine for non-completion  (Read 30080 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Census: £1,000 fine for non-completion
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
A question requiring respondents to disclose which passports they hold.

Well, that'll stop 10% of the population dead in their tracks, because the £1000 penalty for not filling in the form will be a lot less than the penalty of being discovered as an illegal immigrant  ::)

and will that bother you me or the majority of uk residents?
AS i said unless people have something to hide, i can't see much of a problem,
but hey that's just my thoughts.

I didn't say it would - I said that it could affect 10%.   Since even the government don't know exactly how many people are living here illegally, I'm pretty sure the immigrants themselves are not going to tell them  ::)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 January 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, I for one have plenty to hide   ;)

I did not fill in a census form in 2001 as I was not in the UK on census night.  But I do recall some discussion at the time among colleagues about reluctance to complete it because of home security worries.  Of course it is supposed to be confidential, but people can be bribed to disclose things.

Suppose somebody compiled a list of people who apparently lived alone, whose occupation implied that they frequently worked away from home (or on night shifts).  They even wanted to know if your home had a ground floor, just to make it easier for the burglars.

Anyway if you don't fancy filling it in, a pleasant and legal way to avoid it is to take a short break abroad over the  crucial date

lol now we are getting into deep paranio, same could be said about insurance data bases, car/house,
social security files, child benefit data bases, states single parents, (which i seem to remember a disc was lost)
hospital records. school records,
anyone now working with children, applying for any of the 999 services, etc etc have to now undergo/skip through hoops for them to decide your an upstanding person,
not sure i have seen or filled a census in which makes it clear your away from home (lighthouse keeper may give it away)

a bit like that old chesnut re google street view that the burglars could zoom in on your locks ::)
a local burglar is far more likely to drive down your street at night to get as much/more information on your address,
i live out in the sticks so if i went out and left no lights on/ the alarm not activated etc would give far more away than
a burglar trawling through millions of records to find a snippet of info' on you,

as i said i have no issues whatsoever if people don't want to fill in a census,
and i defend your right to do or not, but i certainly want better reasons than most given
MY opinion, it only hurts your relatives 100 years down the road, having said that hopefully with what we all do now and compile our own tree's most of us will have done all the hard work for them,
i also think with the amount of records now held on computer that future census's may not be that important, but while they are
i suppose i look at it as my part in history, i suppose we all would like to think in years to come we are not forgotten,
my Mum died 30 years ago pretty young and my Dad shortly after, so my grandkids didn't know them but we have photos everywhere and they certainly know ABOUT them so hopefully as they grow older they will remember things,

lol i am rambling, next time you find a snippet of info' re a gt grandparent etc and are pretty chuffed with yourself maybe also give a thought to what legacy even if on paper what you can leave,
lastly i am pretty sure that our relatives would probably not been to keen on filling in the part on the 1911 census about disabilities, so being against the census deffo' aint a new thing.

BTW i would also add i think the fine for not completing is a bit silly, and probably does encourage some to miss or put wrong information, so maybe they should try and come up with a more user friendly way of getting people to fill it in?

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 January 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
lol now we are getting into deep paranio

I'm just saying what some people were worried about last time.  Criminals do research, you know - I've heard of several burglaries carried out while a house was left empty during a wedding or funeral.  Details of funerals are usually announced in the local paper, so it's always wise to arrange for someone to be in the house.  Call it paranoia if you like, but better safe than sorry.

not sure i have seen or filled a census in which makes it clear your away from home (lighthouse keeper may give it away)

Just one example: Something as simple as "nurse" might be a good enough indicator, followed up with a little observation.  Many nurses work night shifts.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
That is of course assuming that the census is computerized for people to get their hands on it,
i maybe wrong but i don't think even the 1921 census has yet been done?
the 1911 was only done the couple of years prior to people getting access,

and yes i have seen the burlglars target homes for funerals etc, easy touch for them to read it in the paper,
but i would hazard a guess the average toad like burglar is to thick start to deducing info' from a census,

as i have said i honestly have no issues with anyone who doesn't want to complete it, that is THEIR prerogative,
i was going to say right but with the fine it's obviously not :-\

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
That is of course assuming that the census is computerized for people to get their hands on it,
i maybe wrong but i don't think even the 1921 census has yet been done?
the 1911 was only done the couple of years prior to people getting access

Nothing to do with it.  Many people will be working with, and have access to, the census data -from enumerators onwards. No point in collecting it otherwise.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Censuses have been around for over 2000 years, remember the Nativity, and in the UK for over 200 years. Let's not go back to the dark ages, either by abolishing censuses or changing government!I noticed in Dorset archives on Tuesday that the digest of statistics is there for the 1991 census at least.The conundrum about illegal immigrants is just that. How can any Government short of doing a full door to door search and stamping everyone person with indelible ink or microchipping them when they have been done ever know how many people are here illegally? Particularly when frontier control has been passed to European institutions. Perhaps the answer is to microchip everyone on arrival either at birth or on entry to the UK?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 January 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Who is to say what you have to put in, there are already a lot of people who declare their religion is Jedi!!! - You do not have to put lies just be more circumspect in your replies.  Could make future researchers giggle or scratch their heads wondering if their ancestors were completely off their trollies.

I have decided give some odd details - no direct decsendants to confuse sadly, but others looking might be amused.

And obviously with so many questions there are going to be quite a few people who will be unable to answer every question - what happens then, a partial fine!!

Its all a load of old codswallop, more big brother trying to get more and more on us, they watch us all the time when we are out, how long is it before they can watch us via our tellies & computers.  Its all very 1984.

Up the revolution brothers 8)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 January 10 14:27 GMT (UK) »
At least 1984 is over 25 years late!In a lot of cases think of a number, any number, but more seriously what about ethnic origin? As an example we may discover that the name of a direct ancestor was should we say African? Does this make us mixed race? Remember the program a few years ago which showed that most of us are ethnically mixed to a lesser or greater degree. Should all researchers who have found this show our ethnicity as mixed race? That would or could really confound the census takers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 January 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Well I consider myself mixed race - Mother Irish (Eire) - Father English (his ancestors from all over England from Lancashire to Essex & London)

2 different countries so mixed I am - maybe that's why I am always so confused and befuddled
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)