Author Topic: Holborn Potteries COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 6629 times)

Offline BlueEyedDoll

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holborn Potteries COMPLETED THANKS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 August 10 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi! I found this thread via google search.  I have two matching large vases, cobalt blue with deep red-orange flowers, and gilding.   They have the word HOLBORN impressed in the bottom and also some numbers that I cannot make out.  I am as perplexed about these vases as the rest of you!  I tried to view the photos that were posted of the other Holborn items but was unable to view them.  I was hoping to see if the other pieces were of similar style as mine, and if the Holborn marks are the same.  Has anyone found out any further information regarding these Holborn items?  Any help would be appreciated! :)

Anne

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne sorry its been so long getting back to you but I didn't receive an email notification of your post (long story)
I am not sure why you are unable to open the images I previously posted but hopefully you will be able to view the one I have added to this post. It is probably because this is a closed thread and has been moved to the  'completed' section

I have searched the net exhaustively and I mean for hours at a time and found nothing. No potter named Holborn or a Pottery . Not even a Holborn style . I will still continue to look though.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of yours to see if they are similar in style and pattern.
Nick

Edited to change image
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
That last picture looks a little Willow Patternish to me?  John Meir of Tunstall produced this sort of thing and seems to have had a pattern called Holborn.  Might be worth contacting the Potteries Museum at Stoke?
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
wow thanks for the response. I'd almost given up hope after 2 years .
It does look like the Willow pattern but the only identifying mark is the printed word Holborn .
I looked at the Stoke potteries site today but as I started to draft a email I noticed John said only enquire about Stoke Potteries and I kinda assumed this was from London so didn't bother.

I will write now for help with identification . Thanks for your suggestion
Nick
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Contact details are:

[email protected]

This place is well worth a visit.

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
I'm a twit  ::)
I've used the wrong image haven't I !

Here is the correct images of the 'Holborn' Tureen

Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London

Offline Tombar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 December 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm interesting in the outcome of this. I know it's an old thread now.

I came here from Google because I was just discussing with a friend that my Grandmother, whom at the time her maiden name was Holborn and was in her teens, used to hand paint the designs on dinner sets.

Very keen to find out what you found out.

Thanks

Offline BobTheFlyer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 April 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this thread is still open but i have the attached Holborn Pottery inherited from my grandmother who at the time lived in the Glossop area. Some of the pottery shows extensive wear. Gold leaf (or rather paint, more likely) is evident on the less worn tureen but almost completely worn off on the more worn one.  I photographed the most legible of the marks but they are all similar - some smudged.  This was clearly a mass-market factory. The firing is low-temperature: pottery, not china.
I'm also very curious if anyone has information. These have been used at family dinners for the past 70 years to my knowledge and probably by my grandparents for 20-30 before that. Prior to this I don't have the history, but based on pattern wear and degree of crazing in the glaze it looks like one tureen was added to the set some time after the rest of the set was in use.

Well, if you are looking for the photos, they are not there as i can't figure out how to attach them. They don't exist in the cloud, only on my computer. If anyone can explain the process, I will post, but my large serving platter, 2 large tureens and gravy boat are all the same pattern as the pic already posted.