Author Topic: Park Villa School, Condover, Shropshire (Salop), England c.1881  (Read 4210 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Park Villa School, Condover, Shropshire (Salop), England c.1881
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 March 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Apologies - had confused my full stops and forward slashes. Really must learn to cut/paste or copy.

Shd be OK now

Also, a very warm welcome to Rootschat.

Offline PiersW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 March 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again.  All working now.  I am sure your conclusion is correct.  The maps enabled me to find Park House on Google Earth - the name of the house is just discernible in Street View.

An American second cousin of mine (her grandfather was my great-uncle - he was the brother who attended Park Villa School with my grandfather, subsequently emigrating to the US) is coming over here in May on a family history search.  Shropshire and Montgomeryshire (where our ancestors lived before moving to Hertfordshire) will form part of the pilgrimage and, thanks to this post, we can now add Park House to the itinerary.

Piers

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 March 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Just to confirm the above post that Villa Park became Park House

Click on map, zoom and check bottom left hand corner -

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101594410   1881/82 map shows Villa park
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101594407     1901 map shows Park House

The links now work fine; many thanks for the post. I must look at the NLS for other old maps of England? I was prompted to look at my notes. The head Thomas Dixon died in 1892 and his wife and son Geoffrey were running the school in 1901. He left to become a lay preacher and a Hugh De Lacy Hulton-Harrop "Gent" was living there in 1909.

The house still exists (the address is now in Ryton) and is a private residence. I don't know if the current occupier knows of or has an interest in the School?

One of the sons of Thomas Dixon, Geoffrey (who took over the school on his father's death), married the daughter of the head of Ryton Boarding School.

I was wondering if any old school or pupil photographs exist in the Dixon family, former pupils or in the attic?

Offline PiersW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, I do not have any family photos of that part of my ancestors' lives.  I expect we will call in at the house in May and, if we find someone in, I will post what (if anything) we find out.

I have attached a screen capture from Google Earth Street View that shows the house as it is now.

PiersW

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 March 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Eddowe's Journal 28 July 1880
ADVERT
EDUCATIONAL - PARK VILLA SCHOOL NEAR DORRINGTON
Conducted by Mr Dixon, assisted by Competent Resident and Visiting Masters. Pupils are prepared for the University Local Examinations, Pharmaceutical Preliminary and for Commercial and Business pursuits. Terms moderate.
The school will re-open Monday, August 2nd. Prospectuses and references forwarded on application.

Offline PiersW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:30 GMT (UK) »
As regards the matter of the two Dixons, I think the 1891 census (in which my grandfather and his brother feature) might fill one or two gaps.  The name of the house is given simply as Park Villa.  The profession of Thomas Dixon (head of the household and aged 51) is given as School Master and his place of birth as Stockport, Lancashire.  The son, Geoffrey, aged 23 is described as a Medical Student.

PiersW

Offline macw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Piers

Thank you for pointing out this detail.

It looks like he was hoping to become a doctor but after his father's death in 1892 he had to help his mother run the school and it looks like he never became a Doctor?

Just read your other post I missed earlier. My Great Grandfather and Great GrandUncle were both at the school at the 1881 census (18 pupils between 11 and 14). We don't know if the other brother's were there between census.

He may have become a Reverend though the record isn't 100% clear as he doesn't leave  his estate to his wife?