Author Topic: 1841 census Llangyfelach Parish Clase  (Read 16203 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Llangyfelach Parish Clase
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
 :D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ellenby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 May 10 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, can you contact me through the pm system.  Not sure how to use it.   Looking forward to the photo of Pentwyn that you have.   Also hoping you can help me decipher some of these wills.   Ellen

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 April 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello  I was searching for Thomas Thomas about 13 because I realized he was missing from his parents household when I found them earlier.  I was reading it page by page on anc*** and the same place names kept being repeated. I thought these were house or farm names but now am wondering if they were street or rows and the census taker was zig zaging.  Does this make sense?  Tne only one I remember was Tir Penney.
     My 12 year old Thomas was with Phillip Richard and family with a few other ag labs at Pont Pren.  His parents were also at Pont Pren with the Rogers family but 20 pages apart  Young Thomas was on page 1 and there was no previous page on the images.
   Would really like to better understand the locations in Clase.   Thank you for any help    LizR
Hi Liz, by coincidence,  I've been researching ancestors in Clase too (assuming it's the same Clase, near Swansea, Wales!). I was born and brought up in the area. I've also recently discovered online (scalable, interactive) maps of the area from about 1850 onwards:http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=51.6525&lon=-3.9362&layers=6&b=7

I'm not sure whether you're aware of this so I'll include this information:
The registration districht 'Clase' was abolished 1894 to become the separate parishes of Clase Urban and Clase Rural.

- Clase Rural
Created 1894 from the rural part of the parish of Clase. Abolished 9.11.1918 to become parts of the parishes of Swansea and Llangyfelach.
- Clase Urban
Abolished 26.3.1900 to become part of the parish of Swansea.

If I can help, let me know.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 June 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Ellen   I am John Davies (~1786- 1851) and Margaret Grey's (1791- past 1851) 3 greats granddaughter by their son John Davies.  John Davies married Eleanor Thomas at Llangyfelach Parish Church in 1844-this is my connection to the Thomases.  Eleanor was the daughter of Thomas Thomas a butcher and Jemima(either Harris or Griffith).
    Margaret Grey's line is growing nicely
but I have nothing on John Davies Sr. except he is supposed to be buried at Mynydd-Bach Chapel.  Can't find a will for him.  Have wills for Margaret's grandfather and brother and an admin for her father.
    Tell me how you are connected and where you are located.  You must have 3 posts on Rootschat to use the personal message system.  It is a great site.  I am on the west coast of US just south of Seattle.  My Welsh mother emigrated in 1953.  Just reply here  Very happy to have found another cousin   LizR

Liz,
The above quote is from Reply number 11 of 11 May 2010!  I was intrigued with your   ..  ..  supposed to be buried  ..  ..  ..  so I have looked at the copy of the Mynyddbach Chapel Burial Register and whilst there are 23 John's, 2 John's plus a second name, and a Johnny and a Jonathan, none of them were buried during the year 1851.  Have I read the reply correctly?

Whilst I was at it I also looked at a copy of the Llangyfelach Parish Church (St. David & St. Cyfelach) and couldn't find a matching burial therein either.  I've read through the subsequent posts and (unless I'm missing something) I can't see anything to suggest you might have resolved your earlier observation.

If I have missed anything significant please point me in an appropriate direction and I'll see if I can discover anything else.

As I live in the village of Llangyfelach, now a suburb of Swansea, I like to do my bit!

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 July 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Mynyddbach Chapel has four burial grounds see here, BG1 is up tight to the chapel NW wall, southwest wall and the front (southeast) wall, BG2 is to the south west of the chapel drive, BG3 is uptight to BG2 alongside the public approach road, whilst BG4 is immediately across the lane from BG3.  If your version of Google maps has the “yellow, Street View icon” you can see the current state of burial grounds 2, 3 & 4.

There are a number of burials for the early years of the 1800’s which for whatever reason are not included in the published list of burials, albeit the published list is just short of 5k entries.  So I have walked amongst those graves with upright headstones in burial ground 2 and think I might have found a headstone that might be of interest to at least two of you.

Needless to say I have taken photographs of the headstone in question and have sent you both personal messages which you will need to respond to, to enable me to send these images to you both.

Regards, JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 July 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I sent you a pm with my email address.  John is listed on the 1841 census but Margaret is a widow in 1851.  I havent found Margaret in 1861 but she could have moved in with family.  Looking forward to seeing grave stone  LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen  Are you still researching  Grey/Davies.  Have found some great info.  LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
JohnG_Swansea,  Still over the moon to have that grave found.  How do you get a copy of the burials at Mynydd Bach?  I have seen online there is a gap for Baptisms in the 1780's just when I need one.  Margaret was christened at the Parish church.   Thanks so much for your help.  LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 August 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
JohnG_Swansea,  Still over the moon to have that grave found.  How do you get a copy of the burials at Mynydd Bach?  I have seen online there is a gap for Baptisms in the 1780's just when I need one.  Margaret was christened at the Parish church.   Thanks so much for your help.  LizR
The chapel registers have been lodged with the West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGA), at their Swansea office.  Someone or some organisation has transcribed the Burial Register into an electronic format [just under 5k entries] which can be inspected in the WGA office. 

The earliest entries I can recall seeing are in the 1870's,  at this point in time I have no knowledge if any earlier records exist, but as of this coming Tuesday I shall make enquiries of WGA.  WGA is closed to the public on Monday's.

There is a short history of the chapel on Wikipedia and an aerial view here.  I'm uncertain what, if anything, the ground behind (northwest) of the chapel might have been used for, but next time I see any of the chapel officers I shall enquire further.  I hope to have some answers within the next 7~10 days.
JohnG_Swansea.