Author Topic: deciphering old handwriting  (Read 6291 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
deciphering old handwriting
« on: Wednesday 12 May 04 08:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this one?

I bought a copy of my 5x great grandmothers will from the "pro.gov" site. All well and good. The fact it cost 3 quid and is only half a page is by the by (I also bought her husbands for 3 gbp and that was 15 pages, so they cancelled each other out).

Anyway, due to a) a poor copy and b) old but pretty handwriting, I can only make out about half of the text.

I have uploaded a copy of the will and my best effort at the transcription at:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~dewievans/will_rose_down.html

If there are any handwriting experts out there, or someone who enjoys poring over old documents with a magnifying glass, I'd much apprecitate any suggestions to fill in the blanks.

Thanks

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:deciphering old handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 10:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this one?

I bought a copy of my 5x great grandmothers will from the "pro.gov" site. All well and good. The fact it cost 3 quid and is only half a page is by the by (I also bought her husbands for 3 gbp and that was 15 pages, so they cancelled each other out).

Anyway, due to a) a poor copy and b) old but pretty handwriting, I can only make out about half of the text.

I have uploaded a copy of the will and my best effort at the transcription at:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~dewievans/will_rose_down.html

If there are any handwriting experts out there, or someone who enjoys poring over old documents with a magnifying glass, I'd much apprecitate any suggestions to fill in the blanks.

Thanks

D

Hello D

I have had a quick go at it.  You may be able to get some of the missing words that I have put question marks against.

Her it is:

I, Rose Down of Colney Hatch in the County of Middlesex, widow, do make this my last will and testament this third day of January one thousand eight hundred and thirty one.  I desire to be buried in the same grave with my late dear husband in Bartholomews Souls Church in the City of London and that in my name may be put on our monument ?? in the said church and the names of my dear children. I direct all my just debts and funeral and testamentary expenses to be paid by my executor hereinafter named.  I give and bequeath my ?? ?? to my daughter Harriot Sutton and my large ?? box to my daughter Sarah Sheppard and the picture of my late husbands mother to Sarahs husband  and the pictures of  Dr ??  to Mrs. ?? . I give and bequeath all my ?? and ?? to my daughters Clara Crompton and Julia Britton to be equally or as nearly equally ?? divided between them and all stocks standing in my name in the public funds and all other ?? and residue of my personal estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever.  I give and bequeath to my son Edward Down ?? ?? ?? ?? to and for his and their own use and benefit and I appoint my said son Edward ?? sole executor to of this my last will and testament and I ?? all former wills. In witness I have hereunto ?? [put] my hand the day and year first above written – Rose Down.

Proved at London 16 March 1832 before the Worshipful ?? ?? Doctor of Laws and surrogate by the oath of Edward Down Esquire the son the sole executor to whom Administration was granted having ?? first sworn duly to Administer.
Johnson: Scotland & Australia
Robertson: Scotland & Australia
Bedford: London, Surrey, Somerset, Kent, Kensington
Ash(e): Ireland, NSW Australia
Tooley: England, NSW Australia
Austen: Surrey (Shalford)
Jackson: Australia - Ulmarra, Cowper
Howard: Australia - Maclean
Reiley: South Bersted, London
O'Reilley: London & Melbourne Australia
Tubb: Berkshire
Paterson: Scotland, NSW Australia
Higginbotham: possibly England, South Australia, NSW
Tooley: London, Sydney Australia

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Reg,

its given me a few good leads, such as where she was buried and the married names of her daughters. Also that a picture existed of her husbands mother. It would be interesting to find out whether that picture still exists and if so, where it is now. To date I've only been able to draw a blank on her husbands ancestry. I know his name, year of birth, where he worked etc. but not where he was born nor the names of his parents.

Have to make a start on his will now.. perhaps I'll be needing your help again in a while.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello D

Yes, put it up and I will have a go at it.  It might take some time though.  I am not that experienced at it.  I pick up some of the words becasue of the few I have done.  You never know there miight be something in there.

Cheers

Reg

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 12:36 BST (UK) »
I'll start transcribing this evening and put it up page for page, as I progress. As I said, there are 15 pages, so it is a daunting task. That said though, the info gained should be extremely rewarding. I'll let you know when its ready.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 12:45 BST (UK) »
Ok

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 04 08:41 BST (UK) »
I've had a go at reducing some of the greyness of the image, which should make parts of it easier to read:
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 04 08:50 BST (UK) »
And here is a much lighter one still (for the really dark bits):
(using the "Threshold" function in Photoshop Elements)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Handwriting: Challenge II
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
Diolch Trystan,

I'll print that off an have a look on the train this evening.

Anyway, in my lunchbreak I managed to knock off the first page of Richard Downs will. Its much easier to read as its much clearer. However, there are still a few words missing.

Any takers?

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~dewievans/rich_down_1.html

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio