Author Topic: Barnsley Orphanage  (Read 17240 times)

Offline jatee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barnsley Orphanage
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 February 15 05:47 GMT (UK) »
SOMETHING THAT i FORGOT TO MENTION,  I WAS SENT ON A REGULAR BASIS FROM MARYVILLE , UP SMITHIES LANE< TO THE MASTERS OFFICE IN THE ST HELENS HOSPITAL COMPLEX TO COLLECT THE POCKET MONEY (1PENNY PER WEEK) FOR THE BOYS IN THE HOME

Offline Jancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 06:16 BST (UK) »

I have just found this topic regarding, Children's Homes in Barnsley and not sure if the information I have is relevant to your queries...?  My siblings and I were placed in Barnsley Children's Homes on and off from, 1951 - 1957 because we'd lost our parents, our father due to an accident and our mother to TB.

I remember the foster parent's first names from Ashley House and Maryville...and also have photos taken of these caregivers taken around 1959, taken while on vacation with the group of children who were there at that time.  Both caregivers at Maryville were excellent and took very good care of these children.  I do remember one young man who had been living there from being a small boy When old enough this young man joined the British Royal Navy, and often came back to visit the caregivers when on leave.

Offline Jancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 March 19 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I dont have pictures of georgeville or maryville but there were plenty taken when i was there. when i find some of the old staff and see if i can pictures i will let you know.

I do have some photos taken of children in Maryville, Barnsley. Dates are around 1957-1958

The names of the two care givers at that time and for many years were ladies called Alice Dakin and Dorothy...?

Offline Jancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 March 19 01:30 GMT (UK) »

I have just found this topic regarding, Children's Homes in Barnsley and not sure if the information I have is relevant to your queries...?  My siblings and I were placed in Barnsley Children's Homes on and off from, 1951 - 1957 because we'd lost our parents, our father due to an accident and our mother to TB.

I remember the foster parent's first names from Ashley House and Maryville...and also have photos taken of these caregivers taken around 1959, taken while on vacation with the group of children who were there at that time.  Both caregivers at Maryville were excellent and took very good care of these children.  I do remember one young man who had been living there from being a small boy When old enough this young man joined the British Royal Navy, and often came back to visit the caregivers when on leave.

It sounds like you would have been in Ashley House at the same time as my siblings and I lived there, Janci!

I'm also in touch with the lady who used to live across the road from Maryville and often played with children who lived there.
Hope we can connect.

Offline Jancl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 March 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this website re Barnsley Children's Homes, and tried responding yesterday but don't know if my message was accepted.

My siblings and I were taken into care when my mother passed away from TB.  We were in and out of care from around 1953 to 1960.  I was firstly in Ashley House and thank goodness wasn't there for very long because the house mother in charge of these kids tended to bully newcoming kids into submission.  I remember her first name was Jean...  Thank goodness my first day there one of the girls who I'm guessing had been there for quite a while and took me under her wing.
Two of my younger siblings were placed in Jordan House at first then later moved to The Views.  Again, I believe the care there wasn't exactly the best place to be from what I could see.
The last time we were taken into care in about 1958 and were all placed in Maryville.  The care in this home was second to none.  The two house mothers there took very good care of these children and treated them all really well!
The names of the care givers in Maryville at the time we were there was Alice Dakin and Dorothy...?  These ladies were both called Auntie by the kids at the time we were living there.
I remember the young man who grew up there; he was in the home the first time one of my brother's was placed there the first time.  He left to join the British Navy but would always come back to visit when he was on leave and in Barnsley.  The young man's first name was Peter...I don't know his surname... He even started to come visit us at our home when my siblings and I went home after my mother got out of hospital the second time around.
I do have photos of the two caregivers, Alice and Dorothy with a few of the children in that home.  I also remember names of some of the kids who were living there at the same time.
Are we allowed to post these photos on this site or do they have to be shared privately?
Hoping to hear back from someone soon!