Author Topic: John Arthur Lewis, 1907 Leicester - Birth Look Up Please  (Read 669 times)

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Arthur Lewis, 1907 Leicester - Birth Look Up Please
« on: Friday 29 January 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If anyone is likely to be visiting the Leicester & Rutland Records Office in the new future, please could you look up a birth for me? 

I've just discovered that my grandmother's sister Annie Sophie Elizabeth Lewis died shortly after giving birth.  She was unmarried, so I should imagine that the illegitmate child was probably kept a secret from the rest of the family.

Anyway, after searching on Ancestry.co I have found a baby Lewis born in Leicester in the same quarter in the BMD as my gt aunt's death.  His name was John Arthur Lewis registered in Jun 1907.  I would like to know if Annie was his mother if possible?  Is this something you'd be able to find in the records office?

I've also found a death certificate for a 1 year old John Arthur Lewis in Leicester in 1909, which is a really sad result.

Grateful for any help anyone can give me.
Jill

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Arthur Lewis, 1907 Leicester - Birth Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Jill, what a sad story.

Unfortunately BMD events can't be looked up - you'll need to order John's birth certificate in order to identify his mother/parents.  You can do that online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ at a cost of £7 per certificate, using the reference information you will have found on Ancestry or alternatively can find for free on www.freebmd.org.uk.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Arthur Lewis, 1907 Leicester - Birth Look Up Please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Anna,

I was hoping there was another way of finding out as I've just spent a fortune on birth, death and marriage certificates but will just have to bite the bullet and order his birth certificate on the off chance.  Its such a sad story that I'd like to get to the bottom of it if poss.  People had such hard lives in those days!

kind regards
Jill