Author Topic: Spratt family - Wingham, Ash-next-Sandwich - Woonesborough  (Read 10368 times)

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spratt family - Wingham, Ash-next-Sandwich - Woonesborough
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I have a lot of information about this Spratt family, which I am happy to share, but also some gaps that I would love to fill in.  The earliest family were in Wingham, then Ash and then Woodnesborough.

Names of spouses of my direct Spratt line going back in time, are Jeffreys, Foad, Langley, Wanstall, Maytum, Warde, Shoveler, Powell, Cobb.

I have a number of problems:  EG, I cannot find the marriage record of Solomon Spratt and Anne Shoveler. A LDS entry says Solomon married Ann Shovelor in Bishopsbourne (about 10 miles from Wingham) in June 1750.  It says she was born on 6 March 1733. There is however a settlement order for Solomon and Anne from Littlebourne to Wingham - the marriage may therefore well have been in Littlebourne rather than Bishopsbourne.  However, I could not find the marriage in either set of Parish records.  The marriage date of June 1750 is consistent as their first child was baptised in June 1751.

There is also a second closely related Solomon Spratt (a cooper) who apparently married Sarah Evernden in Jun 1751 at Ickham (near Ash) - this comes from a transcript of Canterbury Marriage Records and also an entry at the LDS site.  The marriage date is consistent with the date of birth of their first child in Wingham Parish records (1752).  He is probably the Solomon Spratt buried in Wingham Churchyard alongside a second tomb for Sarah Spratt and their infant daughter Anne.  I have been unable to find their marriage in church records of Ickham and surrounding churches.

It is very hard to disentangle these two Solomon Spratts as I have not found either of their marriage certificates and I have suspicions about the transcription of the dates in secondary sources including the tomb inscriptions, which now are very hard to read.  Bsically the dates of births, mariages, deaths etc don't tally and I am confused.

Anyone interested in this family?

Yours Tompion

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spratt family - Wingham, Ash-next-Sandwich - Woonesborough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am interested in the Spratt family, I have a marriage of a Grace Spratt marrying William Griggs in 1708.  The marriage was in Canterbury but they lived in Wingham/Woodnesboroug and had a son Thomas. Do you know anything about Grace, who her parents were etc?
Regards
Virginia

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Virginia,

The only Jane Spratt I found in the Wingham Parish Records was baptized on Sept 15 1695, daughter of John and Jane Spratt.  However, she married Richard Cranbrook, a yeoman of Wingham.  I looked through Woodnesborough parish records and I have a note saying there were no Spratt entries prior to about 1800.

Of course, if Grace was married in Canterbury she would have lived there, and would very probably have been born there and thus in the records of a Canterbury Church, and once married as Jane Griggs I would not have found here as I have not looked for any Griggs children etc in Wingham or Woodnesborough records.

Best wishes, Tompion

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
For the Solomon Spratt Marriage, it was by License, it says at Bishopsbourne, Knowlton or Guston. 1/6/1750

Sorry if you have this already.

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lis,

Not sure I have seen this and it is interesting as it suggests Solomon Spratt and Ann Shoveler may have married in Knowlton. This is where Solomon's father and mother (Henry and Maria Spratt, nee Court) got married and where they lived after moving back from Wingham (where Henry was born and where their older children were born), and they had their younger children in Knowlton and were buried there.

I couldn't find the marriage in Bishopsbourne church records - will have to check Knowlton church records.

Best wishes, Brian

Offline kathyw75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
I've got somewhat tenuous commections to FOAD and POWELL in that area, but my only Spratt is from the Channel Islands.

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathyw,

My paternal grandmother was Kathleen Foad daughter of Stephen Foad of Sutton Court, Near Deal.

Brian

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
whoops - Katherine Foad not Kathleen

Offline Terrence White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes! I'm very interested in this family! I am descended from a William Spratt and wife Mary of Wingham who were the parents of Mary Spratt, christened at Wingham on 22 January, 1672. She evidently later married to Thomas Ladd Sr., on 18 March 1691. The source for this marriage (Tyler Index to Parish Records) only lists the venue as "St. Mary Magdalene" without specifying which town or village. ... However, this source also says, immediately following the bride's name, "b. Wingham". Thomas and Mary (Spratt) Ladd were the parents of several children in the Wingham parish register, of whom their eldest son John, christened in 1695 (a "Cordwainer" by trade), was my ancestor. This John Ladd later relocated to East Langdon, Kent, where he died and was buried on 22 June 1788. By his wife Mary, this John Ladd was the father of my ancestor Mary Ladd, who was christened at East Langdon on 21 September, 1740. She later married William Johnson Sr. shortly after the last of the banns were read, on 29 December, 1771, and died and was buried in Wingham on 10 May 1806. My ancestors descend from these Johnsons.

I am particularly interested in corresponding with anyone having knowledge of the earliest generations of this Spratt/Ladd family in Wingham.

Thanks sincerely,

T.J. White