Author Topic: Richard Waller - painter  (Read 19659 times)

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Waller - painter
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
I can get more information from my mother in law when she gets back from holiday. We have a self portrait of Richard Waller holding paint brushes, a bust which he commissioned in exchange for his doing a portrait of the sculptor, and a portrait of his brother and his wife.

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
One more thing. We also have a sampler done by Annie Waller. It reads "Annie Waller British School March Skipton. 1881  Aged 12 years"
This might help as a piece in the jigsaw.

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
We have unearthed a Waller family Bible, with the following information in it - Joseph Waller, b 31/7/1835, m Mary Jane Watson 24/6/1858. JW died 19/12/1885. 4 children, John James, b 28/1/1859, Frederick, b 6/1/1864, Ann (Annie), b 21/5/1868, Elizabeth, b 7/3,1870.
John m Mary Elizabeth Meade 9/10/1889. Annie m Thomas Ernest Leigh 30/9/1892 (my wife's line) Elizabeth m Frank Cockshott 6/6/1898.

John had 2 children, Horace Frederick Richard and Mary Elizabeth.

Hope this might help us determine how this part of the Waller family connects with Richard the artist, as it was through Annie's children that we acquired the paintings and bust.

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
I am stunned!

From the info you have given I looked up Joseph Waller the son of John Waller b 1801 who was the son of Francis Waller b 1773; who would be a ggg granduncle.

You can imagine I want to know as much as you can tell me; how things came along to you what you have and particularly the paintings you have and the bust I never knew about.  I have been working on making a list of the paintings he has done but this.  I am dying to see what he looked like after the disappointment I had recently when I was told the copy of a pic I had was not a picture of him.

No-one on my side of family knew anything about him until I started research and I am related via his brother so you got lucky :)

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 September 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Can you please advise where Richard fits into this record? What was his relationship to Joseph?

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Joseph was a cousin once removed of Richard.  Putting in the names you gave me as Joseph's descendants I have done a rough calculation and Thomas is at least a 3rd cousin twice removed so a few more generations on and it will probably be a few more x cousins x times removed.

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 07:46 BST (UK) »
By my calculation we therefore have to go back one more generation for the lines to meet. Do you have a record of the father of Francis, who was presumably then Richard's grandfather?

Offline ketts1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 January 11 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Would it be possible to see a copy of your self portrait of Richard Waller, I am still trying to identify a portrait of my gg-grandfather, William Kettlewell, painted by Waller in 1874. The portrait in Leeds Art Gallery which I believe to be him is unsigned, and this may help match it.
Many thanks, Paul

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 January 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
After being in discussions with fourways we have confirmation that there is a connection between us and he is possession of a Richard Waller self portrait and it is signed...